UFC 196 - McGregor vs Diaz

Remove this Banner Ad

Nate didn't cut weight either and didn't have a training camp, so surely he should have more excuse for being tired than Conor.

He was training for a triathlon wasn't he? I think Nate is a guy that can rest on his laurels more than most.

Look I wasn't upset with the results yesterday, was a result for the ground game and not strikers. While crash and bash is exciting I find the technical aspect of the ground game just as absorbing.

I think his loss was a combination of not being complacent and as well as not being fully prepared. I also think Diaz deserves a hell of a lot of credit too, and when he looks back on his career will be the match that really kicked things off for him.

Similar to the Rousey/Holm fight, I really dont get the revisionist history, like the talks of Conor possibly taking on Robbie at 200, there's been zero talk on him being killed if that fight eventuated before yesterday.

Conor/Ronda/Holly are no mugs just fighters who have very good strengths but questionable weaknesses exposed by fighters who went in with a good gameplan.

Conor really looked ordinary with his striking to be honest. He spammed his left hand, barely uses his jab and throws spinning s**t for the sake of it.

No doubt he is still the best striker in the FW division but alot of it stems from his advantages of fighting southpaw, along with his massive reach advantage.

Just watched the fight again. I love when Diaz rocks him and he knows it...he throws his hands up like what now :D. Conor doesn't show any emotion other than a little wobble but Diaz knew he got him sweet.

Have made it pretty clear on here that Im not a Conor fan...I respect him but I dont like him. I guess this is what makes this win so much sweeter...a fighter who talks just as much s**t tapd him :p

Okay fellas, in spite of the fact he said himself he gassed and even detailed why (because at this weight he doesnt knock guys out with one punch he kept throwing huge punches instead of throwing some volume) and the fact that being bigger and heavier would clearly use more energy to do anything keep running the "he didnt gas" line.

How much weight he put on is debatable, happy to admit that i dont know exactly how much it was, just judging that he would probably fight at 155ish and he would have been about 175 pre fight, but the point remains, GETTING that big means a hell of alot less cardio and BEING that much bigger expends more energy to do the same thing.

The Aldo fight has created the belief that McGregor was knocking everyone out with one punch at Featherweight. He hit Siver with basically the same amount of strikes that he hit Diaz with before Siver was finished. It took a lot of strikes to put Mendes away. He wore down Brandao fairly quickly with volume to put him away. Landed big shots on Holloway early before getting injured and then doing what he had to do to win. He landed heaps of heavy shots on Brimage in a really short amount of time before he put him away.

McGregor is a really heavy hitter, but in the UFC it has generally been the combination of power and ridiculous volume that finishes his opponents. After the Aldo fight everyone (including me) got sucked into thinking he's a bigger one punch threat than he actually is. He's certainly a big threat in that department, but I feel that we all got a bit carried away.

If/when McGregor and Aldo rematch I wouldn't be surprised if Aldo gets hit a lot, but is able to survive. Being a big Aldo fan probably has a lot to do with this, but I'm starting to think that the Velasquez/JDS comparison works really well here. JDS hit Velasquez with something early and put him away the first time. The next two fights he landed a number of big shots, but couldn't finish Velasquez. The same thing could happen with Aldo and McGregor.

I really think conor'a gassing was caused by a couple of things. Number 1-nates reach advantage. It appeared that conor was launching himself into his punches trying to cover the distance without being hit and number 2-pressure. I really think he was mentalky gassed as well as physically. He would have been feeling an enoormous amount of pressure to perform. Yes he brings it on himself, butbhe backs it up. He was fighting 2 divisions uo with the world expecting big things if he won, he would almost certainly be the biggest name in the history of ufc. I think it all became a bit too much for him in the end

McGregor fought Diaz's fight. High volume and for the most part in punching range. Nobody fights the Diaz brothers at their own game and comes out on top. It doesn't matter if you hit harder because they'll take the shots and keep working at their pace until you wilt. And when you get caught on the end of Nate Diaz's long straight punches they hurt. Get hit over and over again and you'll wear down. Then he gets you with a perfect one on the chin that really hurts you and you're as good as done.

I get the argument that he gained weight before this fight and it hurt his cardio. What's going to happen when he's cutting all that weight again to get down to 145? And how much more did he actually weigh during this fight compared to the Aldo fight? If someone puts it on him like Diaz did at 145, I'd have to imagine that he'd gas bad and probably even worse because of the huge weight cut.

I enjoyed these. McGregor fans might want to ignore this post.

Stockton Slap:

Lol:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5:

Panic Wrestler:

Awesome photo:

dtzm8xdezzybgswfk1jj.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGregor fought Diaz's fight. High volume and for the most part in punching range. Nobody fights the Diaz brothers at their own game and comes out on top. It doesn't matter if you hit harder because they'll take the shots and keep working at their pace until you wilt. And when you get caught on the end of Nate Diaz's long straight punches they hurt. Get hit over and over again and you'll wear down. Then he gets you with a perfect one on the chin that really hurts you and you're as good as done.

I get the argument that he gained weight before this fight and it hurt his cardio. What's going to happen when he's cutting all that weight again to get down to 145? And how much more did he actually weigh during this fight compared to the Aldo fight? If someone puts it on him like Diaz did at 145, I'd have to imagine that he'd gas bad and probably even worse because of the huge weight cut.

You look at the picture getting around of conor at 145 weigh in and then 170, imo, there is no way he can be fitter or better conditioned after that cut

Was that guy serious about the subs?? What a moron
I read something similar from an intellectual lightweight on the UFC Facebook page and there was mention of how fights shouldn't end in submission and that it's Ultimate Fighting Championship, not Ultimate Submission Championship (ummm... OK buddy...). Clearly he's a casual UFC fan and McGregor bandwagoner but the comment made me LOL, a very offended fan indeed. :D

I read something similar from an intellectual lightweight on the UFC Facebook page and there was mention of how fights shouldn't end in submission and that it's Ultimate Fighting Championship, not Ultimate Submission Championship (ummm... OK buddy...). Clearly he's a casual UFC fan and McGregor bandwagoner but the comment made me LOL, a very offended fan indeed. :D

I love me some conor mcgregor however its clear to see he has no ground game. That what makes mma so exciting, the fight can end at any time in completely unpredictable ways.

I dont get when people say that striking is more exciting, or wrestling is boring etc. There are other sports such as boxing or kickboxing that only permit striking.

Dont watch mma if you only want to see kos

Was that guy serious about the subs?? What a moron
I have no idea. Everyone rambles irrationally to an extent when their favourite fighter/team loses, but this is something else. At a guess I'd say they were dead serious at the time and later on they'll realise how stupid they were being.

I have no idea. Everyone rambles irrationally to an extent when their favourite fighter/team loses, but this is something else. At a guess I'd say they were dead serious at the time and later on they'll realise how stupid they were being.
I can understand when its like silva losing to bisping on points and people disputing the accuracy of the points system, but this something else lol

Last night I was reading through here and saw some discussion about how McGregor matches up with Lawler and RDA. He lost to Nate Diaz who isn't as good as either of them, but styles make fights.

I thought RDA was a terrible match up for him and after seeing McGregor fight Diaz I still do. RDA has a damn good chin. Only time he was knocked out was years ago and was the sort of punch that if landed flush, like it was, would knock out anyone. He walked through some hard head kicks from Pettis like they were nothing. Diaz grabbed a McGregor kick and took him done. RDA would take McGregor down and from top position RDA would do some bad s**t to him. You can't completely count out McGregor winning by KO, but I'd say it's unlikely.

I think McGregor matches up better with Lawler than he does with RDA. Nate matches up better with Lawler than he does the LW champ too. After seeing McGregor get hurt by Diaz I couldn't possibly favour him to beat Lawler. Lawler has been getting hurt in his recent fights, but they were against much bigger guys than McGregor. A MacDonald head kick and those elbows, a Condit hook and everything that Hendricks hit him with over two 25 minute fights couldn't finish Lawler. Hard to see McGregor doing it. You just have to think that Lawler would land the shot that ends it at some stage. Maybe McGregor could outwork Lawler and wins rounds though.

I'm a huge Conor fan, and because of him and Jon Jones I've become a UFC fan. But he was hopelessly outclassed by Diaz, and beaten by the better man on the night and a better all round fighter.

Conor talks alot of s**t, he's brought alot of fans to the UFC, but in the end he believed his own hype after the Aldo fight and he paid dearly for it. All Conor was doing in the Diaz fight was throw power shots, and I've watched enough boxing to know if a guy does that and doesn't KO the guy he will end up gassed and beaten ala Foreman against Ali which is what happened to Conor against Nate who was never gonna gas and never does.

Full credit to Nate after reading and watching a lot of his fights before the McGregor fight he deserves the success and pay days he has coming, but all round Sunday was a great pay per view I thought as I enjoyed the Diaz/Conor fight and the Tate/Holm fight was immense.

Interested to see how both Conor and Holly bounce back but that's the beauty of the sport.

Everyone talks about dick riding McGregor, but we've heard nothing but praise for Diaz, which is deserved after this fight. But the guy has still lost ten times, you'd think with the way he's been spoken about he was such a complete fighter there was no way he was ever losing to McGregor. But no one will call you a dickrider for talking up Diaz, because the envy isn't there.

McGregor's still only lost 3 times, and only once in the UFC.

Bring on UFC200 and start the winning streak again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back