Preliminary Card
Sergio Pettis vs. Chris Kelades
Danny Roberts vs. Dominique Steele
Carla Esparza vs. Juliana Lima
Glaico França vs. James Vick
Walt Harris vs. Cody East
Marcos Rogério de Lima vs. Clint Hester
Efrain Escudero vs. Kevin Lee

I love Whittaker but I'm worried about this fight. Natal isn't a big name and he's on a 4 fight win streak (so is Whittaker). 7 of Natal's 9 UFC wins have come by decision. I'm confident that Rob will get the win, but it is a dangerous fight. If he wins then surely he will have to get some of the top few ranked guys.

Oh, and Pettis vs Barboza? Yes please.

I love Whittaker but I'm worried about this fight. Natal isn't a big name and he's on a 4 fight win streak (so is Whittaker). 7 of Natal's 9 UFC wins have come by decision. I'm confident that Rob will get the win, but it is a dangerous fight. If he wins then surely he will have to get some of the top few ranked guys.

Oh, and Pettis vs Barboza? Yes please.

I don't see Natal giving Rob any troubles. He's got decent skills everywhere, but at his core he's a BJJ guy without great wrestling. I think Rob will look surprisingly dominant in this fight.

I also think Whittaker should win this fight pretty comfortably. Whittaker's got good TDD. If he keeps the fight on the feet he should be able to outstrike Natal because he's better technically and he's a lot quicker. I think he'll hit Natal a lot and not get hit much at all. A KO seems pretty likely, but if he doesn't get the finish he should rack up the points to win a clear decision IMO.

Really excited to see Jones fight again. I've missed seeing him do what he does in the cage. Hard to see OSP giving him much trouble, but weirder things have probably happened.

Johnson/Cejudo is a really good fight. It's probably far too soon for Cejudo to worry Johnson that much though. Johnson should get the better of him on the feet and I think eventually he could really take over by wearing Cejudo down.

Pettis/Barboza is a fun fight and so is Rodriguez/Fili.

Cody East on the prelims has a bad criminal history. Maybe he deserves a 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th, or whatever it is chance. I don't know, but I'm certainly not cheering for the guy. It doesn't make much sense to me that East gets to fight in the UFC when others who've done far less are banished. Daley punching Koscheck after the bell is nothing compared to East's issues. Jason High getting cut after pushing the ref when he'd just been finished by strikes was harsh. And that Australian guy from TUF, Tyler I think his name was, he didn't get a shot because he posted something racist on social media. I think those guys would be scratching their head when they see East getting his shot in the UFC.

I also think Whittaker should win this fight pretty comfortably. Whittaker's got good TDD. If he keeps the fight on the feet he should be able to outstrike Natal because he's better technically and he's a lot quicker. I think he'll hit Natal a lot and not get hit much at all. A KO seems pretty likely, but if he doesn't get the finish he should rack up the points to win a clear decision IMO.

Really excited to see Jones fight again. I've missed seeing him do what he does in the cage. Hard to see OSP giving him much trouble, but weirder things have probably happened.

Johnson/Cejudo is a really good fight. It's probably far too soon for Cejudo to worry Johnson that much though. Johnson should get the better of him on the feet and I think eventually he could really take over by wearing Cejudo down.

Pettis/Barboza is a fun fight and so is Rodriguez/Fili.

Cody East on the prelims has a bad criminal history. Maybe he deserves a 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th, or whatever it is chance. I don't know, but I'm certainly not cheering for the guy. It doesn't make much sense to me that East gets to fight in the UFC when others who've done far less are banished. Daley punching Koscheck after the bell is nothing compared to East's issues. Jason High getting cut after pushing the ref when he'd just been finished by strikes was harsh. And that Australian guy from TUF, Tyler I think his name was, he didn't get a shot because he posted something racist on social media. I think those guys would be scratching their head when they see East getting his shot in the UFC.
I've heard East has a criminal past but I havnt heard what they are.
what has he actually done?

the Tyler Manawa thing was bloody ridiculous. He is black, and he was denied his shot because he posted a "racist" meme when he was a teenager. He had a lot of potential IMO.. does anyone know what he is upto now? is he still fighting?

Just on Cody East bomber_mad_1989 and BradWCE

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/2...oubled-past-includes-rape-assault-child-abuse

"She didn't consent to any of this," Jordon said. "She told the defendant no over and over and over again," Channel 13 reported.

But the 4-foot-11 girl was no match for the 6-foot-4 athlete, who weighed 230 pounds, Jordon told jurors.

December 2008 - East sentenced to 3 years in prison
After apologizing to the court and to the people he's hurt and admitting that he's had an alcohol problem for years, Cody East was sentenced this week to three years in prison on charges of child abuse and battery

And the next day after Bloody Elbow produced the article, the UFC responded
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/2...ducted-cody-east-criminal-background-mma-news

"From the beginning, Mr. East was very upfront with UFC regarding his past. In light of Mr. East's history, UFC had an independent investigation conducted into his past and current behavior. Included in the investigation was a response from East's former probation officer supporting his opportunity to compete in UFC and commenting that he would in fact be a good candidate. As a result of the investigation, and with the understanding that Mr. East had successfully completed many months of rehabilitation and counseling, UFC felt comfortable offering Mr. East the opportunity to compete in UFC."

Both articles are worth a read.

the Tyler Manawa thing was bloody ridiculous. He is black, and he was denied his shot because he posted a "racist" meme when he was a teenager. He had a lot of potential IMO.. does anyone know what he is upto now? is he still fighting?

Not since 2013. He is very young still though, so could still find his way back.

I remember reading those articles about East a while back. If he's truly turned his life around then he's worthy of a shot, but I can't see myself ever rooting for the guy.

This has all been lost with the news today

Does anybody even give OSP a chance here...Jones will have rust but I personally dont think it will bother him

Tyler Manneroa (however it's spelled) hasn't fought since the TUF season. He's probably moved on seeing as his likely goal has been denied from him forever. :confused:
I remember him making some waves and being titled a huge prospect at the time, even more so than Jake Matthews.

Crazy how much double standards there are with the UFC. Posting a border-line racist picture which in context was probably more satire than anything else (can't remember what the picture was but i do remember wondering what the overreaction was about) and then recently they scrapped the UK dude off the TUF card because he apparently lied on his visa application or something and nothing has been heard from him since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember him making some waves and being titled a huge prospect at the time, even more so than Jake Matthews.

Crazy how much double standards there are with the UFC. Posting a border-line racist picture which in context was probably more satire than anything else (can't remember what the picture was but i do remember wondering what the overreaction was about) and then recently they scrapped the UK dude off the TUF card because he apparently lied on his visa application or something and nothing has been heard from him since.
the Tyler picture was a meme of a black kid in a shopping trolley with writing something along the line of "get used to looking through bars" or something.

I really can't see OSP winning this. He's got power, but what else does he have to trouble Jones? Not much. I see Jones taking him down and beating him up. OSP's tough so it might take a while, but I think Jones will finish him with ground strikes or maybe OSP gets caught in a submission after getting beat up for a bit.

What does everyone think about Barboza/Pettis? Pettis could land something big and finish Barboza by KO or by catching his hurt opponent in a submission. If Pettis doesn't land the big strike then I think Barboza stands a good chance to outwork Pettis and win a decision. I haven't looked at the odds, but I'd imagine Pettis is a decent favourite. I think Barboza might win, but I'm really not sure.

Exicted to see if Esparza has progressed since Joanna ripped her apart.

The Whittaker fight is weird, you would think after beating Hall in a really good fight and being from an emerging market for the UFC they would want to start giving him some promotional buzz, instead they give him this fight, which, yeh he should win, but doesnt give him alot of buzz.

Pettis v Barboza has all the makings... Hot damn

DJ v Cejudo is really interesting, i think it will wind up being a rinse repeat of every other DJ fight, but there is a tiny part of me that think Cejudo might be a stylistic concern for DJ. Likely wishful thinking

and obviously hanging to see Jones again. The future GOAT

The Whittaker fight is weird, you would think after beating Hall in a really good fight and being from an emerging market for the UFC they would want to start giving him some promotional buzz, instead they give him this fight, which, yeh he should win, but doesnt give him alot of buzz.

I still want to see the Whittaker vs Bisping fight. Would be huge for Whittaker if he pulls that off. But I'm fine with the way they're slowly building Whittaker up, it's done him a world of good with getting his name out there in Australia. There's been lots of media hype around him lately. Imagine Bisping never pulled out of the fight at UFC 193 and managed to beat Whittaker, would have lost all the buzz and would almost have to start from square 1 again, although they probably would have still matched him up with someone like Natal so you do have a point.

I still want to see the Whittaker vs Bisping fight. Would be huge for Whittaker if he pulls that off. But I'm fine with the way they're slowly building Whittaker up, it's done him a world of good with getting his name out there in Australia. There's been lots of media hype around him lately. Imagine Bisping never pulled out of the fight at UFC 193 and managed to beat Whittaker, would have lost all the buzz and would almost have to start from square 1 again, although they probably would have still matched him up with someone like Natal so you do have a point.

Yeh, the Bisping match would give him so much exposure.

I think the Natal fight is just a bit nothing, sure its on an anticipated PPV main card but eh. If he beats Natal as expected its not really going to have people clamouring to see more of him, if he loses it sets him back a long way. Put him against a name so that if he wins people get excited and if he loses you can build him back up, this just sort of splits the difference and takes away momentum from beating Uriah Hall.

Yeh, the Bisping match would give him so much exposure.

I think the Natal fight is just a bit nothing, sure its on an anticipated PPV main card but eh. If he beats Natal as expected its not really going to have people clamouring to see more of him, if he loses it sets him back a long way. Put him against a name so that if he wins people get excited and if he loses you can build him back up, this just sort of splits the difference and takes away momentum from beating Uriah Hall.

Natal beat Hall too don't forget. I'm looking at it as a showcase fight for him on a card that will have a lot of eyes on it. It builds him up more in the US too if he looks impressive.

if he wins this fight and especially in impressive fashion he has to get a top 5 guy.

the list is pretty bloody scary.

machida would be awesome but his not an option.

silva, bisping, Belfort, Souza and then Weidman and Rockhold are the only guys ahead of him on the rankings.

that's a murderers row of guys.

mousasi is the only guy underneath him that he probably wouldnt go in as favourite.

I've got no idea who bisping faces next but he deserves a no1 contender fight or title fight IMO.

Anderson silva or the loser of Belfort v Souza would be most likely.

Crazy how fast Whittaker has come along. I think his best bet would be Bisping.

Whittaker has shown to have solid takedown defense in a few of his fights but I think a guy like Jacare who is far superior in grappling would be a nightmare for him. A fight with Belfort would be good for a neutral fan but as a Whittaker fan I'm not so confident, Belfort is dangerous on the feet.

I could see him getting someone like Mousasi or Tim Kennedy next as well.

Souza would be a nightmare but I think he beats Belfort so not really entertaining that one in my head.

there's no easy fights but now is when we find out if he has what it takes to be a contender or is a place holder.

Belfort would be a great fight for him I think. Robs good a using distance, he has a good blitz and power in his hands.

I forgot Romero will be ready to fight soon. I wonder who he gets on return.. maybe bisping no. 1 contender?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back