MMA-UFC UFC 197: Jones vs Saint Preux

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't think of one, but as someone who has knee issues it makes me wince when one of them lands.
Saw Jones do a jumping oblique kick that was angled down, it didn't land on OSP but if it landed flush on his knee joint and OSP had his knee in a bad spot it could have ended badly I think

I recall Rampage complaining about it a few years ago

I know it's a bit silly to be complaining about the technique in a sport where you're trying to cause concussions and manipulate joints through submissions but I still think it's not in the spirit of the sport to be doing it. I see no reason for them to ban the technique though, I just dislike someone a bit more when they use it.

Saw Jones do a jumping oblique kick that was angled down, it didn't land on OSP but if it landed flush on his knee joint and OSP had his knee in a bad spot it could have ended badly I think

I recall Rampage complaining about it a few years ago

I know it's a bit silly to be complaining about the technique in a sport where you're trying to cause concussions and manipulate joints through submissions but I still think it's not in the spirit of the sport to be doing it. I see no reason for them to ban the technique though, I just dislike someone a bit more when they use it.
I'd support the banning of it... I don't like that kick at all.

Jones looked a bit rusty and still beat a man he wasn't preparing for very convincingly. OSP defended takedown attempts better than I expected him to, but I thought Jones could have wrestled more. Jones is best when he's beating you up in the clinch or from top position. A lot of the fight was fought at range which gave OSP some hope. I think Jones being rusty really showed in him not being more dominant in the clinch.

That was a statement by Johnson. He beat the crap out of Cejudo in the clinch and did it all very quickly. Some of his detractors say he's boring in the cage and I really don't get that. Others say he's boring outside the cage and I don't get that either. Oh well.

Barboza/Pettis went how I thought it would. Pettis could have landed a big strike and won, but if he didn't he was losing a decision. Pettis' lack of improvement and inability to win fights unless he lands a big strike is annoying. Barboza is the complete opposite as he's continued to improve and even though he has fight ending power, he knows how to rack up points and keep ahead.

Pretty comfortable win for Whittaker. Commentary was weird because Natal wasn't having anywhere near the success that they thought he was. He landed a lot of leg kicks, but outside of that he got badly beat up. I was quite surprised that Natal ended up lasting all 3 rounds. He took some big shots and survived.

Rodriguez alone has made that season of TUF Latin America worth it for the UFC. He's a very fun fighter and he continues getting better. That kick to win the fight was unbelievable. It was basically a flying soccer kick to the head of a standing opponent. Unreal.

Not sure why Cormier didn't commentate the whole card. He was great and adds a lot. Cruz was the same when he had the same role. It's weird that Rogan and Goldberg do this full time and neither of them do much research about new fighters. Current fighters are better prepared to talk about them than the commentary A team. Rogan still doesn't realise that Lima is a wrestler. She's billed as a striker, but she always wants to wrestle. That should be very clear, even to Rogan, after that fight. I doubt it will be though. She tried to wrestler Esparza instead of trying to outstrike her.

Jones looked a bit rusty and still beat a man he wasn't preparing for very convincingly. OSP defended takedown attempts better than I expected him to, but I thought Jones could have wrestled more. Jones is best when he's beating you up in the clinch or from top position. A lot of the fight was fought at range which gave OSP some hope. I think Jones being rusty really showed in him not being more dominant in the clinch.

That was a statement by Johnson. He beat the crap out of Cejudo in the clinch and did it all very quickly. Some of his detractors say he's boring in the cage and I really don't get that. Others say he's boring outside the cage and I don't get that either. Oh well.

Barboza/Pettis went how I thought it would. Pettis could have landed a big strike and won, but if he didn't he was losing a decision. Pettis' lack of improvement and inability to win fights unless he lands a big strike is annoying. Barboza is the complete opposite as he's continued to improve and even though he has fight ending power, he knows how to rack up points and keep ahead.

Pretty comfortable win for Whittaker. Commentary was weird because Natal wasn't having anywhere near the success that they thought he was. He landed a lot of leg kicks, but outside of that he got badly beat up. I was quite surprised that Natal ended up lasting all 3 rounds. He took some big shots and survived.

Rodriguez alone has made that season of TUF Latin America worth it for the UFC. He's a very fun fighter and he continues getting better. That kick to win the fight was unbelievable. It was basically a flying soccer kick to the head of a standing opponent. Unreal.

Not sure why Cormier didn't commentate the whole card. He was great and adds a lot. Cruz was the same when he had the same role. It's weird that Rogan and Goldberg do this full time and neither of them do much research about new fighters. Current fighters are better prepared to talk about them than the commentary A team. Rogan still doesn't realise that Lima is a wrestler. She's billed as a striker, but she always wants to wrestle. That should be very clear, even to Rogan, after that fight. I doubt it will be though. She tried to wrestler Esparza instead of trying to outstrike her.
yeah Dc was great dont know when rogan contract is up but I have had enough id like to see stan and kenflo in there they are no longer the A team for the UFC. Jones was rusty but by the end of the fight Jones on a bad day is still pretty dam good hows that slam. Whitterker another great performance really moving up he needs that big fight now thats really going to launch him into the contenders. Dj what can you say im just get sad by the lack of respect he needs to spend some time with the diaz bros get some attitute Im with you 100% he is great in and out of the cage.

Pettis i dont know what he can do but he has fallen from grace and cant seem to get back into it, his brother on the other hand looked good again but just seems akward like he has all the skills but just can link them together. Carla looked back to her normal self this is the performance that saw her dominate incivta think she will sit in the top 5. I really enjoyed watching this card some good solid fights topped with the two very best in the world

Joe has a place as the color commentator, constantly screaming "GOGOPLATA" he is also pretty good at pointing out some finer technical stuff for less attentive fans, the issue has always been Mike, hes fine as an MC type but he know nothing about the sport. Three man team with an MC to do plugs and keep it flowing, the hype man and a special comments type (DC, Cruz etc) would be ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joe has a place as the color commentator, constantly screaming "GOGOPLATA" he is also pretty good at pointing out some finer technical stuff for less attentive fans, the issue has always been Mike, hes fine as an MC type but he know nothing about the sport. Three man team with an MC to do plugs and keep it flowing, the hype man and a special comments type (DC, Cruz etc) would be ideal.

So much this. Replace Mike with Anik or Mauro Ranallo would be good. TJ De Santis from Invicta would be better too. Goldberg is the worst play by play commentator in MMA.

I agree that Goldberg is by far the worse of the two. Getting rid of him is more important if you want to make the commentary team better.

I guess everyone has a higher opinion of Rogan as a commentator than me, and that's fine. Generally Rogan has a good idea about the skills of the fighters once they've been in the UFC for a while. Lima's had a number of fights in the promotion and he still doesn't know what she does. The real problem is when a new fighter shows up. Goldberg and Rogan do very little research. They could at least watch their most recent bouts. Sometimes I'm more informed about a new fighter than they are and that's bad. Stann always does his research on new fighters. Cruz knew so much about the fighters on the Fight Pass prelims of the card he was commentating.

So much this. Replace Mike with Anik or Mauro Ranallo would be good. TJ De Santis from Invicta would be better too. Goldberg is the worst play by play commentator in MMA.
I think Goldberg is terrible, but I'm going to stick up for him a bit here. Todd Harris is a lot worse than him imo. He was a commentator in the WEC and now he is/was working for WSOF. Some WSOF cards have had Harris and Rutten commentating and I can't think of a worse commentary team. Rutten used to be pretty good from what I've seen, but his commentary has been terrible lately.

Really good analysis of Johnson's mauling of Cejudo in the clinch by Luke Thomas. Starts a bit after 13 minutes in.

Luke does some great work when he's not rambling on and on. When he's to the point his breakdowns are exceptionally good and this week is a fine example of his work. DJ is getting better and better and he has cleaned out the division. I remember watching is decision win over Migel Torres and thought that he was rewarded for staying on top and doing nothing, but he has come such a long way. What a fighter he is now, DJ is a pleasure to watch.

I agree that Goldberg is by far the worse of the two. Getting rid of him is more important if you want to make the commentary team better.

I guess everyone has a higher opinion of Rogan as a commentator than me, and that's fine. Generally Rogan has a good idea about the skills of the fighters once they've been in the UFC for a while. Lima's had a number of fights in the promotion and he still doesn't know what she does. The real problem is when a new fighter shows up. Goldberg and Rogan do very little research. They could at least watch their most recent bouts. Sometimes I'm more informed about a new fighter than they are and that's bad. Stann always does his research on new fighters. Cruz knew so much about the fighters on the Fight Pass prelims of the card he was commentating.

I think Goldberg is terrible, but I'm going to stick up for him a bit here. Todd Harris is a lot worse than him imo. He was a commentator in the WEC and now he is/was working for WSOF. Some WSOF cards have had Harris and Rutten commentating and I can't think of a worse commentary team. Rutten used to be pretty good from what I've seen, but his commentary has been terrible lately.
rogan is great doing the analysis on the ground but recently its like he picks who he thinks is going to win and its like listening to a Eddie commentate the Pies.

rogan is great doing the analysis on the ground but recently its like he picks who he thinks is going to win and its like listening to a Eddie commentate the Pies.

Yeh, he actually has for a while but the Natal/Whittaker fight was the first time it really pissed me off for some reason.

Yeh, he actually has for a while but the Natal/Whittaker fight was the first time it really pissed me off for some reason.
Tj v cruiz was bad too i guess he has been doing it longer than I realise but for someone who knows so much they are getting it wrong way too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back