Other Teams
Liverpool
July 8th

This card is already looking good, confirmed so far;

(C) Cody Garbrandt vs Tj Dillashaw
Robbie Lawler vs Cowboy Cerone
Fabricio Werdum vs Alistair Overeem
Anthony Pettis vs Jim Miller

* Diaz vs Ferguson was rumoured but apparently Diaz turned the offer down.

Shaping up nicely. Pettis getting a solid gatekeeper but was a fall from grace. Interesting to see how he handles himself being dismantled by Holloway.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one has gone through more changes than a newborn but I think were settled now?

Women's Bantamweight Amanda Nunes (c) vs. Valentina Shevchenko [a]
Middleweight Yoel Romero vs. Robert Whittaker
Heavyweight Daniel Omielańczuk vs. Curtis Blaydes
Heavyweight Fabrício Werdum vs. Alistair Overeem
Lightweight Anthony Pettis vs. Jim Miller
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
Heavyweight Travis Browne vs. Oleksiy Oliynyk
Welterweight Chad Laprise vs. Brian Camozzi
Middleweight Thiago Santos vs. Gerald Meerschaert
Welterweight Jordan Mein vs. Belal Muhammad
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Bantamweight Rob Font vs. Douglas Silva de Andrade
Featherweight Cody Stamann vs. Terrion Ware
Light Heavyweight Trevin Giles vs. James Bochnovic

Main card is full of really interesting fights without being "stacked" like 214. Browne on an undercard after perennially underperforming on the big stage pleases me to no end. I know Schevchenko was competitive last time against Nunes but seeing them at the stare down the other day Nunes looks like a monster compared to Schev... Werdum v Overeem is the most fascinating on the card for mine, cause their both still contenders with a win but retirees with a loss.

Rewatched some Nunes and Shevchenko fights recently. The commentary in Shevchenko's UFC debut was horrible. Rogan was so surprised that Shevchenko was looking for and getting takedowns. He wouldn't shut up about it. Goldberg was too but he didn't mention it much. Just shows that they did basically no research on Shevchenko. The best way to find out what a fighter does in MMA is by, you know, watching their MMA fights. They didn't even watch her most recent fight prior to her UFC debut because she took Finney down in that one.

If they couldn't be bothered watching her MMA bouts they could have just read something from someone who did. Like this article - Most likely due to her extensive Muay Thai career, she actually has a terrific clinch takedown game, hitting foot sweeps and trips with body locks and underhooks.

They knew she had an extensive muay thai background, so you'd think Rogan would be less surprised with her takedowns from the clinch since there are throws and sweeps in muay thai. Then there's the fact that she's apparently a master of sports in Judo. Just an embarrassing lack of preparation from guys who've been doing this for so long. Funnily enough she's taken everyone down that she's fought in the UFC.

Anyway, it's a really good fight. The assumption from most seems to be that Nunes will win early and if it goes deeper into the fight that Shevchenko will get on top. That sounds about right. Last time they fought Nunes won a fairly close round 1 and really clearly won round 2. Then she got tired and Shevchenko really clearly won round 3.

Nunes does fade but the last two times she did that she tried really hard to finish the fight, against Shevchenko and Zingano. She's got a lot of recent quick finishes which tell us nothing about how she'll be late in a fight. She could get another quick finish but if the finish isn't there I think she'd be smart to pace herself and be content to win rounds until a finish materialises, if one does. I think she could have won all 3 rounds against Shevchenko last time rather easily if she was happy to just bank rounds. Having said that, I think the most likely outcomes are an early Nunes finish (most likely a rear naked choke), or Shevchenko by decision or stoppage late in the fight.

Really surprised at the lack of hype there is for an Australian fighting for a UFC title in the media. I might have just missed it or not been paying attention, but I assumed when this time came, we would see a lot more.

Even this thread has barely moved. We could have a UFC champ by Sunday Arvo... That's ******* huge imo.

Really surprised at the lack of hype there is for an Australian fighting for a UFC title in the media. I might have just missed it or not been paying attention, but I assumed when this time came, we would see a lot more.

Even this thread has barely moved. We could have a UFC champ by Sunday Arvo... That's ******* huge imo.
I haven't been paying attention to know if the media are talking about it, so I could be missing it too. Maybe it being an interim title fight is hurting it a bit? If it was the full MW title then maybe there'd be more hype.

Funny thing is a lot of people are treating it like the actual title fight. I can see why. If Bisping fights the winner it's hard to see him winning. He could win rounds against Romero but at some stage he'd get KO'd. And Whittaker is an awful fight for Bisping that I couldn't see him winning. Whittaker would win enough rounds if he didn't get a finish, and he probably does get the finish.

Who are the Australians who have fought for a UFC title? There'll be Whittaker. Hunt's lived here for a long time but I guess he's technically a Kiwi. Hunt took that fight on short notice so there wasn't much time for that to be hyped. There's Sinosic too. I think that'd be it, which means Sinosic is the only Australian who's fought for a non-interim UFC title. Wonder what hype there was for that back in 2001? Very little, if any, I'd imagine.

Yoel needs an interpreter when speaking and Robbie hasn't come out of his shell on the mic yet which doesn't help the build up.

I reckon a title fight at etihad against Bisping should do the trick ;). Have it in the summer outside of footy season when the sports media are looking for events to cover. Remember all the bandwagon jumpers before 193? I dont rate Bisping against the top 5 fighters but as an arrogant s**t-talker he's head and shoulders above. Put him on the aussie media being his egotistical self against the down to earth Robbie and the public will jump on board.

Anyway not looking past Yoel because he can catch anyone with that one shot. If Robbie can use that Boxing, Footwork and Speed to put Yoel under pressure right from the start then Robbie is a big chance. If Yoel is allowed to fight with his tempo then anything is possible. Robbie's hands down style is custom made for striking against wrestlers.

Cmon Bobby Knuckles!!

I haven't been paying attention to know if the media are talking about it, so I could be missing it too. Maybe it being an interim title fight is hurting it a bit? If it was the full MW title then maybe there'd be more hype.

Funny thing is a lot of people are treating it like the actual title fight. I can see why. If Bisping fights the winner it's hard to see him winning. He could win rounds against Romero but at some stage he'd get KO'd. And Whittaker is an awful fight for Bisping that I couldn't see him winning. Whittaker would win enough rounds if he didn't get a finish, and he probably does get the finish.

Who are the Australians who have fought for a UFC title? There'll be Whittaker. Hunt's lived here for a long time but I guess he's technically a Kiwi. Hunt took that fight on short notice so there wasn't much time for that to be hyped. There's Sinosic too. I think that'd be it, which means Sinosic is the only Australian who's fought for a non-interim UFC title. Wonder what hype there was for that back in 2001? Very little, if any, I'd imagine.
Yeah they're the only two others. Pages on Facebook like fox sports has put out 10 to 1 articles this week on Mayweather vs McGregor compared to Whittaker. Sorta ridiculous.

I'm treating it a legit title fight. Partly bias and also when it comes to interim shots, this one is as legit as any in recent memory.

I figure if/when he wins, the media will jump on.

Yoel needs an interpreter when speaking and Robbie hasn't come out of his shell on the mic yet which doesn't help the build up.

I reckon a title fight at etihad against Bisping should do the trick ;). Have it in the summer outside of footy season when the sports media are looking for events to cover. Remember all the bandwagon jumpers before 193? I dont rate Bisping against the top 5 fighters but as an arrogant s**t-talker he's head and shoulders above. Put him on the aussie media being his egotistical self against the down to earth Robbie and the public will jump on board.

Anyway not looking past Yoel because he can catch anyone with that one shot. If Robbie can use that Boxing, Footwork and Speed to put Yoel under pressure right from the start then Robbie is a big chance. If Yoel is allowed to fight with his tempo then anything is possible. Robbie's hands down style is custom made for striking against wrestlers.

Cmon Bobby Knuckles!!
Yup. He's the favourite for a reason. I really like his chances.

Also wish he would take on Bobby knuckles... Supposibly he doesn't like the name and wants to be referred to as the reaper. Disappointing.

I was lucky enough to get on Rob at 2.25 really early. He is into about 1.75 last I looked.

I love rob and really want him to win but Romero should be favourite here.

Aus market. Happens all the time; If a Aus horse runs overseas you'll get massive unders compared to what you would get overseas, pretty much same for all other sporting events; cricket, tennis etc.

You'll find that Vegas Odds would have Romero as favourite.

Aus market. Happens all the time; If a Aus horse runs overseas you'll get massive unders compared to what you would get overseas, pretty much same for all other sporting events; cricket, tennis etc.

You'll find that Vegas Odds would have Romero as favourite.
nah not true. Yoel opened as a decent favourite everywhere but Whittaker has been back into shorter odds across the board.

http://www.oddsshark.com/ufc/odds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back