MMA-UFC UFC 213

Remove this Banner Ad

Most fighters don't seem in touch with reality. Not sure why you think Romero stands out compared to the rest of them.
I'd say he is a little unhinged, no way he and say someone like Dan Kelly are the same.

I do agree some other fighters are similarly out of touch with reality but I think there is some type of issue with him on a deeper level.

Couldn't watch the fight on Sunday but watched online for updates........finally got to watch yesterday.

Australia finally has a UFC Champion and he did it on one peg :handfist: Outstanding performance. Real champion qualities to dig deep and win the way Whittaker did.

Souza/Romero is one of the toughest 2 win streaks any fighter could go through. I like Bisping, but Whittaker deserves the full belt.

Before this fight he had the seventh highest takedown defense IN UFC HISTORY and the highest striking rate in Middleweight history.. His takedown defense % may have gone down a bit today but he just fought the most credentialed wrestler in UFC and possibly MMA history and more than held his own. He even got a takedown of his own :p. The guy is an absolute beast! :fire:
Romero is certainly up there but I would say the two biggest wrestling names to try MMA would be Rulon Garner(defeated the great Karelin for Olympic gold) and Mark Schultz.

I know Bisping/GSP is meant to be off, but I think it's pretty likely to still end up happening. Bisping could retire after that payday, especially seeing as he has that on-air role with the UFC/Fox Sports to fall back on.

I know his words mean s**t, but Dana has said that boat has sailed, so unless Rob isn't fit, that won't happen unless they want to piss off an entire division.

I saw Nunes was out and didn't really follow any of it at the time. Now having a look I see that Dana White is being an anti-promoter as he so often is. Throwing her under the bus doesn't help the company. It hurts her and she makes you money by fighting. It's not new for him though. Jones not fighting Sonnen and Aldo pulling out against McGregor got the same treatment. Surely he must know what he's doing. It's done to make fighters scared of pulling out of a fight no matter what condition they're in or what the circumstances are. It's that or he just can't help himself and is allowed to continually actively hurt his own product.

"Nunes was cleared to fight" is being used as reasoning by moronic fans to say that there was nothing wrong with her. White knew this would happen and doesn't care. Being cleared to fight means very little. Are you alive? If so, there's every chance you'll be cleared to fight. Nunes was scared to fight is the logical outcome for a certain type of fan. Nobody who gets to the position that Nunes has got to is pulling out because they're scared to fight. Fighters who are the most mentally fragile (the complete opposite of someone like Justin Gaethje) go into a fight thinking they'll obviously win. It's only when they get in the cage and things don't go their way that they look for a way out. It's never before a fight.

Bad news for Nunes - "She's never headlining another card again" - Dana White
Good news for Nunes - "Jones won't be headlining in his return fight" - Dana White

I know his words mean s**t, but Dana has said that boat has sailed, so unless Rob isn't fit, that won't happen unless they want to piss off an entire division.
I'd say they already pissed off the entire division with Henderson getting a title shot and then GSP seemingly getting one. Of course going through with the Bisping/GSP fight would piss them off even more.

I hope you're right. I want to see Whittaker smash Bisping to become the undisputed champion. I thought Bisping/GSP was a dumb fight to make from the start. Hopefully that fight doesn't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Nunes was out and didn't really follow any of it at the time. Now having a look I see that Dana White is being an anti-promoter as he so often is. Throwing her under the bus doesn't help the company. It hurts her and she makes you money by fighting. It's not new for him though. Jones not fighting Sonnen and Aldo pulling out against McGregor got the same treatment. Surely he must know what he's doing. It's done to make fighters scared of pulling out of a fight no matter what condition they're in or what the circumstances are. It's that or he just can't help himself and is allowed to continually actively hurt his own product.

"Nunes was cleared to fight" is being used as reasoning by moronic fans to say that there was nothing wrong with her. White knew this would happen and doesn't care. Being cleared to fight means very little. Are you alive? If so, there's every chance you'll be cleared to fight. Nunes was scared to fight is the logical outcome for a certain type of fan. Nobody who gets to the position that Nunes has got to is pulling out because they're scared to fight. Fighters who are the most mentally fragile (the complete opposite of someone like Justin Gaethje) go into a fight thinking they'll obviously win. It's only when they get in the cage and things don't go their way that they look for a way out. It's never before a fight.

Bad news for Nunes - "She's never headlining another card again" - Dana White
Good news for Nunes - "Jones won't be headlining in his return fight" - Dana White

Yeh, Dana is basing his "cleared to fight" comment on the fact she had bloodwork done and it was clear, but she said she had severe sinusitis, I'm no doctor but I doubt sinusitis is gonna show up on a blood test. Danas "schtick" was always that he spoke for the common fan as the CEO, it doesn't wash anymore because he is out of touch, he needs to reign it in but he is such a big personality now he probably cant (which is horrible, seriously when has an administrator being a personality been a good thing Goodell, Stern, Demetriou etc)

FWIW I think a pull out that late should be a forfeit not an NC but that's probably more cause I'm an arsehole and also cause I think if they had a clear rule on it at least it wouldn't be an argument.

Watched Rob back last night, man he gutted it out, that knee looked worse on second watching. I also think his bodywork on Romero paid back in spades by the end of the fight, very smart. I'd also back Rob against Bisping but I don't think its the slam dunk home run everyone else does. Bispings output and movement are really underrated and I think Bisping probably outpoints and outworks Rob if it goes to decision watching how gassed Rob was by round 5 (and yes I know Romeros clinch work would be more tiring and I know Rob had 6 weeks for this fight but Bisping is a cardio beast). I reckon Rob KO's the count but I look forward to it.

Bispings output and movement are really underrated and I think Bisping probably outpoints and outworks Rob if it goes to decision watching how gassed Rob was by round 5 (and yes I know Romeros clinch work would be more tiring and I know Rob had 6 weeks for this fight but Bisping is a cardio beast). I reckon Rob KO's the count but I look forward to it.
I was waiting for you to say; 'He has a resting heart rate of 45bpm.'

I think that is all Rogan knows about him.

On their output it was posted earlier in the thread just how active Rob is with his strikes per minute. If you add to that he wouldn't have to worry about takedowns he can solely focus on accurate striking along with volume which would help him greatly.

I was waiting for you to say; 'He has a resting heart rate of 45bpm.'

I think that is all Rogan knows about him.

On their output it was posted earlier in the thread just how active Rob is with his strikes per minute. If you add to that he wouldn't have to worry about takedowns he can solely focus on accurate striking along with volume which would help him greatly.

OKay... Yeh Rob has the most significant strikes per minute of any middleweight ever. This is semi stats based and semi what ive seen based, Bisping is still flying at the end of every fight ive ever seen, Rob was shagged at the end of his. I already mentioned no clinch etc. IMO Bisping will still be sprinting at the end of 5 rounds and Rob wont. I'll be betting on ROb by KO anyway but I just don't think its the walk in the park a lot of people are making out.

Robbie getting some mainstream love.

He is such a good representative for the sport in this country.

If you read the comments there is a lot of "I don't like the sport but what a wonderful young man" etc etc.

Agreed. He's an honest, hardworking family man who just happens to be an incredible fighter. Hopefully will help change the perceptions of people who still think all cage fighters are basically neanderthals.

Robbie getting some mainstream love.

He is such a good representative for the sport in this country.

If you read the comments there is a lot of "I don't like the sport but what a wonderful young man" etc etc.

Couldn't bring myself to watch The Project and Sunrise interview was pretty bad. Pretty much shows why Australia can't do anything decent in entertainment.

But Robbie is all class, love the bloke to bits.

We actually have a vast majority of wonderful role models in Aus MMA. Dan Kelly, Jake Matthews, Rob even Mark Hunt.
Probably not Mark Hunt. He goes off at anyone that criticises him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back