MMA-UFC UFC 215 - JOHNSON VS BORG

Remove this Banner Ad

Man, Val having a great round and then Nunes ends up on top. Will a minute or so of control time for Nunes be enough against Val's better striking?
Yep. Rematch for sure though. Two best women in the division.

**** Bruce sold some candy there haha thought he was going to Shevchenko.

He does that a bit. Was confident Nunes had it when he did.

Yep. Rematch for sure though. Two best women in the division.

Can't see another worthy contender, but an immediate rematch for someone who is 0-2 to the champ already will likely be a tough sell.

The old 'don't leave it in the judges hands' rings true with this fight. I wanted the smug flog Nunes to get done but Schev didn't let rip either.

Wasn't Woodley levels of conserving, but as a title fight and main event, combined with the skill of both these two, was a underwhelming fight IMO.

Love Val, but if you want a rematch off a 0-2 record against the champion, you need to show a lot more than she did tonight IMO.

The old 'don't leave it in the judges hands' rings true with this fight. I wanted the smug flog Nunes to get done but Schev didn't let rip either.

Wasn't Woodley levels of conserving, but as a title fight and main event, combined with the skill of both these two, was a underwhelming fight IMO.

Love Val, but if you want a rematch off a 0-2 record against the champion, you need to show a lot more than she did tonight IMO.
"smug flog"? Damn, that's harsh. I personally really like Nunes.

I had no idea who would take it in the end. No real complaints with the decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot the Rousey fan :p

Na, thought she was treated harshly in the build up to 207, but something about her is offputting, suppose it's that stupid lion mask crap, the pullout last month, I dunno :)

At the end of the day though, I watch it for the sport and not the personalities.

Disappointed in both fighters to be honest.

I had it 3-2 to Val with a possible 4-1 to her. Nunes did nothing after round 1 and her only claim on round 5 was 2 minutes of top control with little action. I always have to second guess myself as I wanted her to win but went into the fight looking to score just on what I saw. That's why I went 3-2 not 4-1. Deserves another shot but its hard to see as 'just bleeds' Like Dana would have wanted a death for a 0-2 challenger to get another shot.

Cejudo was great, felt like that performance put him ahead of Borg for a title shot.

Gil was ridiculous. RDS was really impressive.

Main event was close. I would have to rewatch it to score it accurately but thought Shevchenko probably did enough to win 3 rounds. Don't mind Nunes winning after the dumbass opinions that appeared following Nunes pulling out last time.

I mentioned something about Nunes and gassing before they were supposed to fight last time. I was pretty sure that Nunes wouldn't gas if she didn't unload looking for a finish and wasn't made to work by her opponent. Shevchenko doesn't have the sort of style to take much advantage of a cardio edge and Nunes didn't make herself gas. There's this weird belief that fighters will gas if they have gassed before. Really good fighters won't unless you make them or they make themselves.

A close loss like this was always going to happen eventually for Shevchenko. She's really inactive and always looking to counter. I thought the loss would come against Holm. Holm couldn't make her output advantage work because she was so predictable and just handed Shevchenko solid counter opportunities over and over again. I would like to see Joanna/Shevchenko at 125 sometime soon. Joanna has a really good chance of winning that fight because she'll work at a far quicker pace and won't do what Holm did.

Nunes showed something new in being able to go 5 rounds but she took away some of her advantages in doing so. She was far less dangerous because she made sure she didn't exert herself too much and gas. There's a happy medium she can find where she doesn't make herself gas and is still very dangerous.

After Nunes beat Rousey I mentioned that Nunes isn't the technical striker that Holm is. I don't know why I said that. I've been banging on about Holm not being that great of a striker for a while and still managed to say that crap. In MMA Nunes is a better, more technical striker than Holm. She's even a better boxer, in MMA at least, than Holm is. She doesn't throw herself off balance the way Holm does when they're leading. Nunes throws punches and can then avoid punches thrown back at her. Holm falls into her punches and gets countered consistently.

Glenn/Tucker was dumb and disgusting. Shouldn't have gone 15 minutes. Tucker's corner should have stopped it after the 2nd round. It's MMA so that basically has zero chance of happening. So, I'll reduce it to they should have thought about stopping it. They clearly didn't. They thought it was level. It wasn't. Tucker didn't win the first round but even if he did the 2nd was a clear 10-8. The 3rd round was a clear 10-7. Only one judge scored it 10-7 I think, but it was certainly too one-sided to be a 10-8 imo. Look at the corner stoppage in the boxing match between Inoue and Nieves on the same day to see what corners should be more like in MMA. Nieves wasn't getting beaten down half as badly as Tucker but they stopped it because he was just going to take unnecessary damage from then on.

The ref should have stopped it in the 3rd round too. Tucker was too tough for his own good but all he was doing for a long time there was rolling from his back to his stomach and back again. If you do that and then start to defend well you should save yourself. He didn't defend much of anything though. Just changed positions and continued to get beat up in the new position. Should have been stopped, so that's another reason why it's got to be a 10-7 for me.

It's also worth pointing out that this card was in Edmonton. The same commission that oversaw Tim Hague's death in a boxing match was overseeing this card. Edmonton has delayed the investigation into Hague's death. Not sure why the UFC went to Edmonton for this card. They shouldn't have gone there until the investigation was done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back