UFC 221 - PERTH - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You really believe this is the case? It's an interesting point, but I doubt he missed on purpose. Christ knows...

Look at the end of the day im just some mug on the internet, so im happy to be totally wrong and very well might be, but based on all available evidence, if he really went all out to try and make weight he didn't show signs compared to those who do (just look at his opponent's interview - post weigh in)

Weight cutting as a whole is still a total farce, Gastelum, Hendricks etc; there needs to be more buy in and more dialogue between the UFC and its fighters. If Romero was 3 pounds over, how far behind was he 1 week ago, 2 weeks ago?

Taking out Romero's intentions, deliberate or accidental, what is preventing someone from say going 5 or even 10 pounds deliberately over? Is there an existing rule for amount of pounds before its called off? (Very well might be)

Ill ask this, if the fight wasnt for the interim title, does Rockhold take the fight?

Im just salty because its just poor approach from the UFC to both the fighters health and the legitimacy of the organization.

Like you said though, Christ knows what's going on.

Taking out Romero's intentions, deliberate or accidental, what is preventing someone from say going 5 or even 10 pounds deliberately over? Is there an existing rule for amount of pounds before its called off? (Very well might be)

Yeh there is a rule on this, cant recall exactly how much but they wont just allow a massive weight difference.

It depends on where the fight is - different commissions have different rules. The different jurisdictions remains the stupidest thing about mixed martial arts.

I just watched a four minute hot take from Chael Sonnen on the Romero v Rockhold fight and it sort of changes my mind.

He made the point that weve never actually seen Romero have any cardio issues, just that weve seen him look tired, its never stopped him or made him lose really. So that, I have to agree with, he seems to use his flat footed, I'm tired routine to fox his opponent, which is clever.

I also completely agreed with Chael on the weight, Romero walks out a champion (interim or not) if he beats the scales.
The Whittaker title fight he fatigued and lost the later rounds. Whether or not that cost him idk.

Weight cutting as a whole is still a total farce, Gastelum, Hendricks etc; there needs to be more buy in and more dialogue between the UFC and its fighters. If Romero was 3 pounds over, how far behind was he 1 week ago, 2 weeks ago?
2 things to point out in regards to this.
  • MMA fighters cut a lot more weight than pro boxers historically, that in no way suggests Hendricks or Kelvin aren't up to scratch with their weight cutting, but these guys in the UFC are cutting higher % of bodyweight than any other sports athletes.
  • Fighters aren't weight cutting for weeks on end or the duration of their camp, they generally weight cut in the last few days of fight week to minimise the length of time they're dehydrated. People who weight cut for periods of a week or longer risk irreversible damage or even death.

Pretty awesome weekend for me personally. 1st UFC/mma event in person and i got to see a heap of aussies fight, topped off with two great fighters as the main event.

Also was lucky enough to meet Jessica-Rose Clark,Urijah Faber,Chris Weidman & Alistair Overeem over the course of a couple of days. Bummed that i couldn't see Rob defend his belt but we still got a pretty damn good card in hindsight.

2 things to point out in regards to this.
  • MMA fighters cut a lot more weight than pro boxers historically, that in no way suggests Hendricks or Kelvin aren't up to scratch with their weight cutting, but these guys in the UFC are cutting higher % of bodyweight than any other sports athletes.
  • Fighters aren't weight cutting for weeks on end or the duration of their camp, they generally weight cut in the last few days of fight week to minimise the length of time they're dehydrated. People who weight cut for periods of a week or longer risk irreversible damage or even death.
Some must slowly lose weight through their camps via cardio/diet.

If Romero only cut on final few days how could he be so far over. The short camp was blamed, even by Dana.

What a great day it was Sunday, I was there at 7.15. Great atmosphere but in saying that, I couldnt go every week. The ric flair chants were getting on my nerves by the end of it. Happy to see there wasnt any fights in the arena...Everybody seemed to get along. Im sure they come back after that, Maybe not a PPV but will get a fight night for sure

Sorry Been away from the board awhile, Yes I ended up going and what a great day it was. had decent tickets around the 200dollar mark only ones i Could get TBH. so much time has passed wonder when we will get another moving to VIc end of next year but in a postion where I can drive to Syd or go to melb.

They sounded like they were keen to come back but there always positive on that.

If it happens it seems it will be late/early in the the year, around the summer.

The potential is certainly there with Whittaker holding the title.

Whittaker Gastelum Feb or March in Aus seems realistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back