MMA-UFC UFC 224 - NUNES VS PENNINGTON

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched late last night, not a bad card overall (considering it will likely have some pretty poor buy rates)

Machida's KO - Wow hes still got it, not enough to beat the big boys anymore but he is capable of anything in his moment.

Belfort - Great career, like him or hate him hes lived and breathed the UFC for a long time

Lineker - Could see him getting a big fight (maybe even a title shot) with one or two more good wins, not necessarily based on merit alone but because he is exciting, unfortunately I cant see him getting a glove on Cody or TJ who look head and shoulders above the rest of the division

Dern - Yeh she won, she was expected to and she was 7 (or 8 if youre like me) pounds over, she hasn't done anything to impress me yet. Shes young and developing for sure, in reality she should probably move to 125, its thinner and it lacks a star, she could be it and she wouldn't have to worry about making weight

Gastelum - His chin cant hold up forever, good fight tight on the scorecards

Nunes - Won as expected, shes pretty scary and there doesn't seem to be much left for her at 135, she has no obligation to move though. Could be the first multiple title holder for Women in the UFC if she does.

Pennington - I can see both sides on "that" incident. As mentioned she likely never fights for a title again and you have to assume her team know her better than we do. Its a bad look but as with all sport its risk v reward, if she goes out in the fifth and lands a big shot and wins the title we laud the corner as geniuses. Theres no way around the way it looked and it adds to the barbaric way non fans look at the sport but with a second to breath and consider it I suspect we will know how she feels in the next few days

Watched late last night, not a bad card overall (considering it will likely have some pretty poor buy rates)

Machida's KO - Wow hes still got it, not enough to beat the big boys anymore but he is capable of anything in his moment.

Belfort - Great career, like him or hate him hes lived and breathed the UFC for a long time

Lineker - Could see him getting a big fight (maybe even a title shot) with one or two more good wins, not necessarily based on merit alone but because he is exciting, unfortunately I cant see him getting a glove on Cody or TJ who look head and shoulders above the rest of the division

Dern - Yeh she won, she was expected to and she was 7 (or 8 if youre like me) pounds over, she hasn't done anything to impress me yet. Shes young and developing for sure, in reality she should probably move to 125, its thinner and it lacks a star, she could be it and she wouldn't have to worry about making weight

Gastelum - His chin cant hold up forever, good fight tight on the scorecards

Nunes - Won as expected, shes pretty scary and there doesn't seem to be much left for her at 135, she has no obligation to move though. Could be the first multiple title holder for Women in the UFC if she does.

Pennington - I can see both sides on "that" incident. As mentioned she likely never fights for a title again and you have to assume her team know her better than we do. Its a bad look but as with all sport its risk v reward, if she goes out in the fifth and lands a big shot and wins the title we laud the corner as geniuses. Theres no way around the way it looked and it adds to the barbaric way non fans look at the sport but with a second to breath and consider it I suspect we will know how she feels in the next few days
Non fans would be horrified. It also looks as though the vast majority of MMA fans and fighters found it very distasteful.

Pennington new she was in a title fight, so for her to want the fight done tells me that she knows she was done, and in a very bad state.

Should a coach refuse ending the fight? There's probably times when they should and times that they shouldn't.

She wanted it done. She'd been messed up for 20 minutes and that was enough. To see that nose get devastated in the 5th after already being broken was just ugly.

Anyway, I'd imagine she'll come out backing her coach on this, especially after the amount of hate he's copping.

Non fans would be horrified. It also looks as though the vast majority of MMA fans and fighters found it very distasteful.

Pennington new she was in a title fight, so for her to want the fight done tells me that she knows she was done, and in a very bad state.

Should a coach refuse ending the fight? There's probably times when they should and times that they shouldn't.

She wanted it done. She'd been messed up for 20 minutes and that was enough. To see that nose get devastated in the 5th after already being broken was just ugly.

Anyway, I'd imagine she'll come out backing her coach on this, especially after the amount of hate he's copping.

Yeh look I certainly wouldn't have convinced her to go back in but that's also probably why I'm not a coach. I think everyone in the sport needs to be more aware of the image of the sport so I'm not supporting it at all on that level but I can also (to a degree) understand a coach trying to motivate his charge to keep going.

I still see no issues with the coach side. Their job is to motivate, if she wanted to be done there would have been no difference in her starting the fifth round, crouching down and tapping three times on the canvas. Everyone heard her say she wants to be done, there’d be no more ridicule since she was getting starched by that stage anyway.

I saw a story told about the time Gilbert Melendez told his coaches he wanted to quit between rounds against Jeremy Stephens. His leg was destroyed. DESTROYED. He wanted out and his coaches didn't let him.

After the fact, Gilbert thanked his coaches for putting him back on track and not letting him quit. He still lost the fight.

I fully get the side that says they should have let her end it; I actually agree. But I do see the other side. The only person to make this distinction is her. I also don't think the coaches were demonstrative when not allowing her to. I'm assuming if she pushed the point after the initial "no, no, no, no..." they would have let her tap out.

I think we (not us, but the MMA media) have to be careful before accusing and convicting her team of not caring about her welfare. I saw a tweet from Ariel Helwani that basically questioned if the team would have let her quit if she wasn't receiving show/win money and their income percentage wasn't attached to the win bonus. That's an extremely defamatory accusation.

I still see no issues with the coach side. Their job is to motivate, if she wanted to be done there would have been no difference in her starting the fifth round, crouching down and tapping three times on the canvas. Everyone heard her say she wants to be done, there’d be no more ridicule since she was getting starched by that stage anyway.

Come on man there's no way a fighter is going to do that.

I get your point but theres more to it.

Coaches are part of your team, you listen and respect what they say.

Come on man there's no way a fighter is going to do that.
I’ll try and find the gif when I’m home but it has happened before.

I get your point but theres more to it.

Coaches are part of your team, you listen and respect what they say.

I think there possibly needs to be an extra minute time out call possibly implemented for times like this. Let the team have a quick chat over whether they’re going to call it.

I'd be surprised if it happened so interested to see that. It did happen in Never Back Down before the championship fight and he went out in the carpark for the real title fight!
Good movie that.

Has definitely happened, I can even picture the fighter but can’t put a name to it.

I think there possibly needs to be an extra minute time out call possibly implemented for times like this. Let the team have a quick chat over whether they’re going to call it.

Way too easy to exploit.

As fans of the sport we can see it from both sides but also as fans of the sport we can see how this perpetuates the "human cockfighting" angle that its detractors always love to spruik.

Not the one I’m thinking of but did just find this off a quick google search while trying to find it. Was dominating the fight and tapped out to spare his opponent the beat down.

just google Bob Sapps last 20 fights.

although, none of those or the one you posted is even close to comparable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll try and find the gif when I’m home but it has happened before.

Romero would take the extra minute every round and never quit

should not have been sent out
63df4ab7a8eafbbb303ee4989cf149ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Im 50/50 on this, I agree with Bisping's take on this - The coach was selfish and was thinking about himself but in the same breath, The idea that she would hate herself for quitting...I also get that aswell. Pennington didnt even break her nose right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back