MMA-UFC UFC 229: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Conor McGregor - October 6th

Who will win?

• Khabib Nurmagomedov

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Conor McGregor

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

October 6th, the most anticipated UFC fight of all time goes down.

Two of the biggest personalities. A throwback fight; striker vs grappler.

A true grudge match.

upload_2018-8-13_8-44-20.png

The card right now

Lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov(c) vs. Conor McGregor [a]
Lightweight Tony Ferguson vs. Anthony Pettis
Light Heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux vs. Dominick Reyes
Heavyweight Derrick Lewis vs. Alexander Volkov
Women's Strawweight Michelle Waterson vs. Felice Herrig
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
Bantamweight Sean O'Malley vs. José Alberto Quiñónez
Flyweight Sergio Pettis vs. Jussier Formiga
Welterweight Vicente Luque vs. Jalin Turner
Women's Bantamweight Aspen Ladd vs. Tonya Evinger
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Women's Bantamweight Lina Länsberg vs. Yana Kunitskaya
Lightweight Scott Holtzman vs. Alan Patrick
Lightweight Gray Maynard vs. Nik Lentz
Welterweight Ryan LaFlare vs. Tony Martin

Last edited:

a good study of Conor McGregors takedown defence tactics

I honestly think both guys are a horrible matchup for each other.

Khabib has the perfect game to stifle McGregor; constant forward pressure, grapple heavy and ridiculous top control.

While McGregor has great footwork, accuracy and power to take advantage of khabib's non-existent footwork, high chin and low level striking.

October 6th, the most anticipated UFC fight of all time goes down.

Two of the biggest personalities. A throwback fight; striker vs grappler.

A true grudge match.

View attachment 542533

The card right now

Lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov (c) vs. Conor McGregor
Welterweight Ryan LaFlare vs. Tony Martin
Women's Bantamweight Lina Länsberg vs. Yana Kunitskaya
Flyweight Sergio Pettis vs. Jussier Formiga
Light Heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux vs. Dominick Reyes
Women's Strawweight Michelle Waterson vs. Felice Herrig

That top vid was killer!

Boy oh boy, this is EPIC!!!

This is just a phenomenal fight, so happy it is happening.

Just on the rest of the card, Lewis vs Volkov has been floated as the co-main.

Confirmed.

No idea why you wouldn't put Poirier/Diaz as the co-main when they aren't even the main event on their card, unless UFC have nothing in the pipeline still for NY.

Sugar Sean O'Malley on the card too!

No idea why you wouldn't put Poirier/Diaz as the co-main when they aren't even the main event on their card, unless UFC have nothing in the pipeline still for NY.
$$$$ this card doesn't need anything else to sell more and I reckon the extra month might have been requested by Poirier. Dude has been in some wars lately.

Poirier and Diaz should be the main event of that card. Needs to be a 5 rounder.

Sugar Sean O'Malley on the card too!

$$$$ this card doesn't need anything else to sell more and I reckon the extra month might have been requested by Poirier. Dude has been in some wars lately.

Poirier and Diaz should be the main event of that card. Needs to be a 5 rounder.

I agree, makes no sense why its not the main of the NY card, if it isn't why not put it as co-main? Goes against the MO of UFC of stacking cards.

Diaz/Poirier is easily worth being main event of NY, IMO.

Really hoping Poirier gets the W to face either guy, deserves the pay day and id def be rooting for him over Khabib/Conor.

Really hoping Poirier gets the W to face either guy, deserves the pay day and id def be rooting for him over Khabib/Conor.
id prefer Poirier win too, but he is a pretty good match up for Nate. Stands at a distance and will allow Nate to tag him with 1-2's, also doesn't pose any real takedown threat and isn't a pressure guy.

Diaz has played this well... sit out for 2 years and walk into a number one contender fight against the guy who is arguably the most favourable matchup of anyone in the top 10.

Confirmed.

This fight has been so hotly anticipated that they don't need any co-main and even decent fights to be a massive seller. Why waste another much hyped fight on this card?

This fight has been so hotly anticipated that they don't need any co-main and even decent fights to be a massive seller. Why waste another much hyped fight on this card?

Im not arguing any of those facts, you're missing the point. Why do they bother stacking cards at all?

Im not arguing any of those facts, you're missing the point. Why do they bother stacking cards at all?
stacked card obviously sell well but this fight is on a different level to anything else.

If they put Diaz v Poriier on this card is it going to sell any more pay per views? I would think it would be minimal at best. However if you add it to another card it will hold more value imo.

Plus like you said earlier there is a chance that the UFC don't have much lined up for NY, so they are keeping that fight up their sleeve for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus like you said earlier there is a chance that the UFC don't have much lined up for NY, so they are keeping that fight up their sleeve for it
Middleweight Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman
Middleweight Ronaldo Souza vs. David Branch
Middleweight Yoel Romero vs. Paulo Costa
Lightweight Dustin Poirier vs. Nate Diaz
Middleweight Derek Brunson vs. Israel Adesanya

looks to me like that have one of the best cards of all time lined up. If any card can sustain a non-title main event in the modern era, it is this one with Diaz vs. Poirier at the top.

Middleweight Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman
Middleweight Ronaldo Souza vs. David Branch
Middleweight Yoel Romero vs. Paulo Costa
Lightweight Dustin Poirier vs. Nate Diaz
Middleweight Derek Brunson vs. Israel Adesanya

looks to me like that have one of the best cards of all time lined up. If any card can sustain a non-title main event in the modern era, it is this one with Diaz vs. Poirier at the top.
Great card or not if they take Diaz v poirier off that card it will be lucky to do 350k buys.

Probably like most I've been on the fence with the Khabib v Conor fight, but I've just voted - I think Conor may find the KO, either by a standing left or a clinched elbow, but I think it would have to happen in the first 2 rounds.

Still a long way out so that vote could change, but just my feel atm.

Apart from Khabib's win and thrashing of Dos Anjos, its been about how he has beaten his opponents, not who they were.

its a relatively unimpressive list when you step back and look at it.

and there is a good argument he got a favourable scorecard in the Tibau fight.

id prefer Poirier win too, but he is a pretty good match up for Nate. Stands at a distance and will allow Nate to tag him with 1-2's, also doesn't pose any real takedown threat and isn't a pressure guy.

Poirier's wrestling is a bit underrated IMO. When he's decided to use it, it's generally been an option for him. He was able to get Pettis to the ground at will in their fight, took Duffy down plenty when they fought and took down a good wrestler in Jim Miller more than once in their fight. I think it's a moot point though as I doubt he'll be looking to grapple with Nate.

Agree with your thoughts on it being a good matchup for Nate, so I'll be interested to see how Dustin approaches it. Nate's been beaten plenty of times, mostly through either a heavy leg kicking game or by getting ground out by wrestlers with good sub defense. Dustin's legs took a beating in the Gaethje fight and the talk was he still wasn't at 100% for the Alvarez fight, but Diaz has never been much of a kicker and will likely just rely on his boxing and taunts.

Luke Thomas said it best.

"If you're a McGregor fan, you should be nervous and if you're a Khabib fan, you should be nervous."
This, Khabib is so sloppy on his way in for a TD and Conor is literally dead if he doesn't land his shots when Khabib goes for the TD and gets him down.

Back