Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Actually getting angry now.
I’m honestly starting to believe we won’t get any other ranked fights it will just be filled with no-namers.

They aren’t going to get good talent to fight on 4 weeks notice overseas & why would they be keeping it secret if they already had fights set. Cards already sold out, thousands of Australians complaining all over social media, if they had any good news up there sleeves it would have been released by now.

Can’t see this card selling well ppv wise in the states at all.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m honestly starting to believe we won’t get any other ranked fights it will just be filled with no-namers.

They aren’t going to get good talent to fight on 4 weeks notice overseas & why would they be keeping it secret if they already had fights set. Cards already sold out, thousands of Australians complaining all over social media, if they had any good news up there sleeves it would have been released by now.

Its looking pretty ordinary for PPV right now

Guess Adesanya Silva is pretty significant but still

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

I think you're right, I'm not sure Rob is a big draw, and given it sold out so quick there's not much incentive to add anything I don't think.

from memory, these tickets were actually cheaper (or maybe only slightly more expensive, hard to remember exactly) than the tickets for Rockhold vs Souza in Melbourne.

Hoping for a STACKED card is reasonable but if you go look at that card, the way it eventually happened, this is well worth the money for an Aussie card.

I got a refund for that event, partly on principle and im cut af I can't go to this card because I missed the presale announcements; even with the lacklustre showing underneath the top two fights.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeh, I’m okay with it. The card is okay, it will in all likelihood be the least impressive card on paper for a PPV for the year but given the location, timing etc. for the target ppv market the ufc will take a hit for the sake of growing the sport.

My expectation for any Oz card is that it will be sub standard to US based cards the fact we’re getting the title fight we have all be aching to see (Rob) and a legend vs an Australasian star on the rise is enough to have me pumped for the card. We will get one more ranked fight, maybe two but they will be no name draws.

The card could be better but it's not all entirely the UFC's fault.

It's a tough sell for the fighters to come out here on couple fronts.

Whittaker vs Gastelum isn't a main steam fight that's gonna sell big ppv numbers. So if you're a belt wearing champion and portion of your pay is dependant on ppv numbers.....then this isn't the card you wanna be on.

Plus...we're on the other side of the planet and who wants to travel all the way out here when you've already gotta train'n'cut weight before a fight.

Unless you're getting McGregor, Khabib, Jones, Holloway or DC to main event a card......the cards down here will always be bare.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
So Jimmy Crute just announced he’s opening the main card (was actually surprised he wasn’t on the main card to begin with).

From the looks of it we have
Whittaker v Gastelum
Adesanya v Silva
Yahya v Simon
Crute v Spann

You’d think we’d be due at least one more main card fight but who knows at this point.

* edit - reading his insta post again it actually looks like he is posting what he’s seen on the web not an actual announcement that he has confirmed. Jesus the UFC is a disorganized beast.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
So Jimmy Crute just announced he’s opening the main card (was actually surprised he wasn’t on the main card to begin with).

From the looks of it we have
Whittaker v Gastelum
Adesanya v Silva
Yahya v Simon
Crute v Spann

You’d think we’d be due at least one more main card fight but who knows at this point.

* edit - reading his insta post again it actually looks like he is posting what he’s seen on the web not an actual announcement that he has confirmed. Jesus the UFC is a disorganized beast.
They can change the order pretty quickly with those things.

I’m still thinking they add another fight albeit being so late

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Fight that would save this card would be Costa vs Wonderboy. WB is out of the picture at WW and has a victory over Whittaker. Neither aren’t booked afaik and overdue.
Was just thinking about Costa

Seems to be set on the Romero fight

Thought that was meant to finally happen about now after all the delays

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would accept a squash match between Megan Anderson and a local jobber, as a late main card addition.

Yeh ditto. In reality if the UFC does it right and offers someone decent some cash they have a contender fight and an Aussie all in one, featherweight is thin enough that you could mount an argument for Megan to get the shot if she wins against a De Randamie or something

Yeh that’s thin
They should have held off on the Adelaide fight night and had alot of those Aussie guys fighting on this card imo

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Rob, Kelvin, Silva or Israel get injured this card is cooked (any one or two and they will shuffle it into a new title fight but then we have no co main)
If Rob pulls out due to injury, there would be mass refunds and the arena could be only half full come fight day.

UFC Perth initially sold out but when Whittaker pulled out, a lot of people took up the refund option. The arena looked only 2/3 full for Rockhold v Romero.

Back