MMA-UFC UFC 234 Melbourne

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Brunson was #6 when Rob fought him IIRC. It's easy to forget how scary he was before Rob smoked him. Rob showed everyone Brunson's defensive weaknesses.

I have him as arguably so sure, but I’m not sure too many people will look at Robs record and think of Brunson as a particularly notable win. Brunsons biggest wins have been Uriah Hall and an aging Lyoto Machida and he is 2-4 from his last 6 so I’d say he’s more Gatekeeper than elite

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
I have him as arguably so sure, but I’m not sure too many people will look at Robs record and think of Brunson as a particularly notable win. Brunsons biggest wins have been Uriah Hall and an aging Lyoto Machida and he is 2-4 from his last 6 so I’d say he’s more Gatekeeper than elite
Go back and watch his fight vs Yoel. He took the first 2 rds. A few of the US pundits had him walking thru Rob tobe a title contender.

Anyway 3 votes on your performance ITT today Phantom.

Last edited:
May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
I'm just grateful there are no training camp injuries and everyone made weight to be honest, the show will go on!

Remember this ?

Ha ha MMA is a funny place tbh, The card was ok fights good, main event to me personally was good but IDK felt like an exhibition fight or a sparing match not a Title eliminator. I am quite suprised they didnt do an intrim lol. As for the cage side drama with Kelvin and that belt meh now Connor and Bones has done it everyone wants a piece of the action. Guessing Connor has made so much money being an ass everyone thinks they have to to make money. Place is turning more WWE every year.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Remember this ?

Ha ha MMA is a funny place tbh, The card was ok fights good, main event to me personally was good but IDK felt like an exhibition fight or a sparing match not a Title eliminator. I am quite suprised they didnt do an intrim lol. As for the cage side drama with Kelvin and that belt meh now Connor and Bones has done it everyone wants a piece of the action. Guessing Connor has made so much money being an ass everyone thinks they have to to make money. Place is turning more WWE every year.

******* oath I remember that, "ha ha" :mad:

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
They weren't going to fill a stadium with the card they put together.

Only chance at Etihad if Rob and Israel fight near the end of the year and most of the Aussies are available or have a good run.

Not every card can be perfect but if you see the fighters available on the fight nights so far this year, and ones coming up (bear in mind there's a card every week now until the end of March) they shouldn't have bothered with this as PPV. The title was the only thing making this worth getting it on PPV. As exciting as Silva/Israel was, it was a 3 round fight that never got going.

That third round was respect dancing. He will retire .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
I'm also not sold on Adesanya.

Neither, But hasnt really put a foot wrong, He's faced some ok competition but ild love to see him fight someone like Yoel/Gastelum/Souza.

Why do people think Romero can beat Adesanya?

Romero might me an excellent wrestler but all he ever seems to do is slowly walk down an opponent while blocking. I see the fight being an easy points win for Adesanya as he will just kite Romero the whole time.

Have you ever watched Yoel fight or just against Whittaker?

So Adesanya is probably going to get a title shot without having to beat a top 5 guy?

Adesanyas list of scalps on road to title fight- Wilkinson (0-2 in UFC), Vettori (2-2-1 in UFC), Tavares (decent win, but Rob ko'ed him within 44 seconds), Brunson #8 (good scalp) & Silva (42 year old)

Whittakers list of scalps on way to title fight - Hester (was on a 4 win streak), Tavares (see above), Hall (was on a 5-1 run with a massive win over Mousasi), Natal (was on a 4 win streak), Brunson (see above but was on a 5 win streak at the time), Souza (was 7-1 in UFC at the time with only loss to Romero)

Whittaker went through the killers in the divison while Adesanya has been gift wrapped a rise. I reckon if these two fight it goes down just like Woodley v Till

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
So Adesanya is probably going to get a title shot without having to beat a top 5 guy?

Adesanyas list of scalps on road to title fight- Wilkinson (0-2 in UFC), Vettori (2-2-1 in UFC), Tavares (decent win, but Rob ko'ed him within 44 seconds), Brunson #8 (good scalp) & Silva (42 year old)

Whittakers list of scalps on way to title fight - Hester (was on a 4 win streak), Tavares (see above), Hall (was on a 5-1 run with a massive win over Mousasi), Natal (was on a 4 win streak), Brunson (see above but was on a 5 win streak at the time), Souza (was 7-1 in UFC at the time with only loss to Romero)

Whittaker went through the killers in the divison while Adesanya has been gift wrapped a rise. I reckon if these two fight it goes down just like Woodley v Till
When you put it like that it’s pretty damning. You shouldn’t be fighting for the belt until you beat a top 5.

Who knows what they do but factors may include his draw and the potential of the aus v nz thing.

I largely think it’s because the division is a little locked. Whittaker has already beaten Yoel and Jacare, two guys that incredibly difficult for anyone.

So if you put Adesanya against Yoel and Yoel wins, what you have him fight Whittaker a third time? They have to be careful with their prospects.

Worst match up would be to put Israel v Costa. You don’t want to kill off one of the rising stars. Spiel done

When you put it like that it’s pretty damning. You shouldn’t be fighting for the belt until you beat a top 5.

Who knows what they do but factors may include his draw and the potential of the aus v nz thing.

I largely think it’s because the division is a little locked. Whittaker has already beaten Yoel and Jacare, two guys that incredibly difficult for anyone.

So if you put Adesanya against Yoel and Yoel wins, what you have him fight Whittaker a third time? They have to be careful with their prospects.

Worst match up would be to put Israel v Costa. You don’t want to kill off one of the rising stars. Spiel done
I agree with what you are saying.

But in essence that equates to, Rob has wiped the top 5-8 out so lets give a kid an easy rise to fight for the title he has not even remotely deserved

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’d like;

Adesanya vs Gastelum
- Interim belt/ winner vs Rob

Romero vs Costa (apparently going to happen in April)

But.... From all reports Adesanya wants a break now. Smart move by his team considering he will avoid potentially losing his title shot. Will wait it out and get the winner of Rob/Gastelum in a title fight.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

Hester, Tavares, Hall and Natal are not killers. I’m smelling what you’re cooking but the side by side for the title run isn’t that bad as a direct comparison (it’s Souza v Silva as the difference really).

Hester, Tavares, Hall and Natal are not killers. I’m smelling what you’re cooking but the side by side for the title run isn’t that bad as a direct comparison (it’s Souza v Silva as the difference really).
They are killers but were all on pretty good winning streaks. Brunson was on a rampage before Whittaker and Souza was a much bigger scalp than a 42 year old Silva

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
They are killers but were all on pretty good winning streaks. Brunson was on a rampage before Whittaker and Souza was a much bigger scalp than a 42 year old Silva

Yeh I’m agreeing with the last point. The comparison is really Souza v Silva and Souza is a “bigger” scalp with the context.

I don't think it should come as a surprise these days that UFC don't have contingencies for possible outcomes where fights fall through and there's multiple fighters with valid claims for a shot. Dana and UFC got caught out making a definitive call with the number one contendor spot when they love being non committal about prospective fights.

When you have MMA media who are too afraid to lose access, and fighters who aren't unionized, you'll keep getting the same mess they keep running themselves into. For a now multibiliion dollar company, they're still run like its 1993.

I've gotten to the point where i don't care about titles any more, im just watching for the match ups and some good fights. UFC has gotten to the murky boxing era that leans on the pro wrestling way of promoting and making fights. Which is a bloody shame as MMA is dynamic and entertaining without it.

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
This might be the only time I’ll ever defend uncle Dana and crew but it’s hard to pin this one on them, sure the card was thin to start with but when the main man and title holder pulls out THAT late, it’s gonna be rough to try and fill it in.

Surely you have a decent middleweight on stand-by?

The two main events with the only ranked fighters on the whole card contain 4 middleweights.

It’s pretty straight forward to think ...
“let’s bring a decent middleweight over as well in case one of the four pull out”

Anyway it’s too late now. At least we have 235 in a few weeks.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
This might be the only time I’ll ever defend uncle Dana and crew but it’s hard to pin this one on them, sure the card was thin to start with but when the main man and title holder pulls out THAT late, it’s gonna be rough to try and fill it in.
2 days out it's absolutely impossible, Not really anything Dana can do about this

As people have said, Israel has had quite a few fights in the last 12 months so he'll have a little rest, Ild love to see a Kelvin V Israel interm fight but Depends on how long it will take Rob to recover.

Top contender? I honestly think Yoel is the second best in the division however Rob's beaten him twice, Kelvin is clearly next in line, Do you give Rockholm/Souza a shot over Yoel?

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
2 days out it's absolutely impossible, Not really anything Dana can do about this

As people have said, Israel has had quite a few fights in the last 12 months so he'll have a little rest, Ild love to see a Kelvin V Israel interm fight but Depends on how long it will take Rob to recover.

Top contender? I honestly think Yoel is the second best in the division however Rob's beaten him twice, Kelvin is clearly next in line, Do you give Rockholm/Souza a shot over Yoel?
Jacare is close to a shot after beating Weidman, but he’d need another win first. Think him against Adesanya would be a fascinating fight, who knows if they want to go that way.

Rock hold is a little further back, I’m still not sure what he’s really doing. Seems more keen on LHW but was meant to fight MW at 230.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Jacare lost to Rob a year or two ago? Great fighter and agree needs another win i agree. However who does he fight? Yoel again? Israel? I know Yoel has gone down twice against Rob, But absolutely close fights.

W/Rockhold, I think he needs to stick to middleweight. Seems like he would lose a bit of that strength advantage against some of those bigger guys.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Surely you have a decent middleweight on stand-by?

The two main events with the only ranked fighters on the whole card contain 4 middleweights.

It’s pretty straight forward to think ...
“let’s bring a decent middleweight over as well in case one of the four pull out”

Anyway it’s too late now. At least we have 235 in a few weeks.

Rob pulled out 6 hours before the event started. Even if Dana had 10 guys over here they would have needed to weigh in (which I can guarantee you they won’t do unless paid substantially). That’s before we figure out if they can even change the fights after a weigh in (I’m led to believe they can’t hence the Adesanya v Silva fight couldn’t be made 5 rounds).

If he’d pulled out a few days before sure we can blame Dana and the UFC but a few hours before and I think we just have to accept it’s horrible luck.

Back