MMA-UFC UFC 236

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is at 145 nobody can keep up with his volume and counter.

I don't think he necessarily has to move down as he was far from outclassed. That fight really should have been 3-2 rounds at worst

Yeah but I just don't see him having the strength at this weight. Poirier is legit but there's some other challenges I can't see him passing. McGregor will have to much power, imagine how easily Khabib would hold him down? Ferguson is on the level with Poirier. I don't see any point him hanging around this division to be a 3-8 ranked fighter.

Yeah but I just don't see him having the strength at this weight. Poirier is legit but there's some other challenges I can't see him passing. McGregor will have to much power, imagine how easily Khabib would hold him down? Ferguson is on the level with Poirier. I don't see any point him hanging around this division to be a 3-8 ranked fighter.
I don't necessarily disagree but that was his first fight at the weight.

Now he would know where he has to improve to beat the best at that weight class

I don't necessarily disagree but that was his first fight at the weight.

Now he would know where he has to improve to beat the best at that weight class

He looked 30 pounds lighter than Poirier though. I'll give it to max if those shots from Diamond didn't drop him maybe no one will but he needs to throw some steel around

He looked 30 pounds lighter than Poirier though. I'll give it to max if those shots from Diamond didn't drop him maybe no one will but he needs to throw some steel around
Apparently Poirier has been struggling to make the weight at 155. So he is probably the biggest he is going to face at that weight.

Apparently Poirier has been struggling to make the weight at 155. So he is probably the biggest he is going to face at that weight.
Yeah I think Poirier said he was 165 or something at the time of the fight. Still even McGregor at 155 looks way bigger than Max. An like I said Khabib is a monster wrestler, just can't see Max beating him

Yeah I think Poirier said he was 165 or something at the time of the fight. Still even McGregor at 155 looks way bigger than Max. An like I said Khabib is a monster wrestler, just can't see Max beating him
I agree.

But to be fair can you see anybody beating Khabib?

Would they really do a card here in September? Surely early October makes a little more sense with how packed September is with sport.
Almost certainly wouldn’t be in September, the talk is that month will have a ppv card in Abu Dhabi.

Which will be Khabib vs Poirer.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not until December.

Almost certainly wouldn’t be in September, the talk is that month will have a ppv card in Abu Dhabi.

Which will be Khabib vs Poirer.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not until December.
I'd be extremely shocked if they make Adesanya wait 8 months to unify his belt, his hype train is in full swing.

Also I think yesterday showed that Max's striking defence isn't great. I guess he's been able to get away with it against less powerful opponents and his superior workrate helps him overcome anything, he does tend to stay in range and doesn't move the head a lot. Hard to be critical of a bloke with the balls to move up in weight though, showed a lot of courage in doing so.

Agreed. Max has always been the type happy to take one to give one. I don't think he was expecting Poirier to hit as hard as he did as he looked visibly shaken for the first time I can remember. Poirier is a quick starter who normally tapers off a bit towards the end of the fight, but he did a great job maintaining a good pace yesterday and kept his power all the way through as well. I thought Max was making him wilt a few times in the fight, but he always answered back. Having said that, I think the 49-46 cards were generous. You could genuinely make a case for Max winning 2 or 3 rounds I think.

remember when GSP always said if he was to go up a class he needed 12 months to get his body right, I think we just saw that yesterday Dustin has been up there for a few fights now results showed. Also seriously worried about max's health i hope he only has to do this a few more times

Dana: "we were originally going to do Izzy vs Whittaker in US now it's definitely in Australia"

Not sure why Dana ever thought originally have in USA. If you serious about growing your market had to be over this way. Funny, Izzy was talking Auckland but just kidding himself. He knows it will be here.
And stadium, not arena...surely means only Etihad?

Probably Marvel when all is said and done.
I think the Whittaker Adesanya fight has to be Marvel if its stadium.

Logistics are too much with an outdoor arena, I know you can cover and stuff but still.

Guess its kinda tough cause they were just in Melbourne but still.
Whittaker based in Sydney so if can find a venue big enough, fair enough but suspect they will work out Marvel makes the most sense.
I just assumed it would be Sydney's turn for this but I guess we'll see.

And what a great pair of title fights, Israel showed his ability to overcome adversity, good tough hit out for him. I still think Rob will show his class when they finally meet, gonna be huge.
Will be some fight to see. Probably almost better Kelvin v Whittaker fight did not happen as suspect Whittaker might have won easier and we not get the fight we just seen. Now we get Kelvin v Izzy which was great fight and now the real title fight later this year.
After the first week of finals there are no footy games on a Sunday in Melbourne so it should be fine
Yep, a Sunday in middle of September at Marvel looks the most likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why Dana ever thought originally have in USA. If you serious about growing your market had to be over this way. Funny, Izzy was talking Auckland but just kidding himself. He knows it will be here.

Probably Marvel what all is said and done.
Whittaker based in Sydney so if can find a venue big enough, fair enough but suspect they will work out Marvel makes the most sense.
Will be some fight to see. Probably almost better Kelvin v Whittaker fight did not happen as suspect Whittaker might have won easier and we not get the fight we just seen. Now we get Kelvin v Izzy which was great fight and now the real title fight later this year.

Yep, a Sunday in middle of September at Marvel looks the most likely.
During Finals I doubt it

As other guy said, Sunday no footy finals so no real issue. Dana said September so no reason to think not.
I got a Feeling its going be Sydney or Perth depending on what they are looking for ? I dont know if they are going to attempt a stadium again then again they kinda owe melbourne after the s**t they served up last time.

Whittaker vs Adesanya on its own doesn't warrant going back to Marvel Stadium. That's not the mma fan in me saying that....but casual fans are the ones that move the needle and if you wanna do another event at that place...you'll need some other big names on that card.

ie Jones, Diaz, Holloway, Cerrone, Khabib

Whittaker vs Adesanya on its own doesn't warrant going back to Marvel Stadium. That's not the mma fan in me saying that....but casual fans are the ones that move the needle and if you wanna do another event at that place...you'll need some other big names on that card.

Yep they had Rousey at the time, and that was as big as It got back then dont think the Connor train was firing by then, People were complaining about that card have a look at the thread on here from when it was released. Maybe the sport has grown over the last few years in australia

Just quietly Holloway vs Volkanovski would be a tidy co-main event for the featherweight title if Alex can get through Jose in Rio.
That would be a crazy co headline.

Only real option is Cowboy but it seems like the UFC are using him to headline Fight Night events

Just quietly Holloway vs Volkanovski would be a tidy co-main event for the featherweight title if Alex can get through Jose in Rio.

Ha! Good luck with that. We'll probably end up with Jake Matthews against some Japanese bloke nobody's ever heard of if past cards are any indication.

Israel says he wants time off.

Looks like it would be very late in the year for the Whittaker fight.

He said that after the Silva fight too, but was obviously a lot less banged up. Hopefully he's healthy enough and the UFC make it worth his while. The sooner we can see Rob back in the octagon the better!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back