MMA-UFC UFC 239

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
They were sucked in by the power of Santos punches in the 2nd. I would have had it 49-46 Jones yet Santos probably had the more effective punches.

Yeah Jones had more significant strikes and controlled the pace and location of the fight and was the fighter moving forward for 90% of the fight. I gave round one to santos but thought that the next four were Jones.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I usually buy the ppv through fight pass because streams just * my computer up but got home this afternoon managing to avoid spoilers all day and wouldn’t let me buy it for some reason. Then trying to google if there’s problems with fightpass all the results came up and spoiled it anyway. Really annoyed as I had planned to spend my afternoon watching the card.

I usually buy the ppv through fight pass because streams just fu** my computer up but got home this afternoon managing to avoid spoilers all day and wouldn’t let me buy it for some reason. Then trying to google if there’s problems with fightpass all the results came up and spoiled it anyway. Really annoyed as I had planned to spend my afternoon watching the card.

Sucks man. Worth watching the replay even knowing the results.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Sucks man. Worth watching the replay even knowing the results.
Yeah I’ll definitely watch it when they upload it to the fightpass library. Just can’t justify paying for it now. I found a few of them on YouTube albeit pretty poor quality. Wonder what will be next for Askren now. I feel like he may have been exposed a bit and was probably lucky he wasn’t knocked out in the Lawler fight.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
FMD it’s a brutal game this sport, been right on board the Askren train for a while now and that was absurd.

One of the greatest kos in history.

Hard to be a critic in such a split second but surely that’s not the right way to counter someone charging at you?

Just watched the main-card fights....was busy with other things today...could only look up online updates in the afternoon.

I had to refresh the view page on my phone just incase the 5 sec KO wasn't some glitch/error. In hindsight it's a smart kinda free hit to throw that flying knee at an opponent that you know wants to take you to the ground. Crazy...and then the follow up blows afterwards. I'd like to see a rematch at some point...I think you'll get a completely different fight.

Nunes winning was no shock. I thought she'd look to take Holm to the ground and submit her. Not only the best women's fighter ever but probably the most all-rounded fighter in the UFC. Submission, striking, kicking game....she has it all. Cyborg rematch will be cool.

Jones/Santos....good fight. I had it 3-2 to Jones despite the strong start from Santos.

Jones played the long game, clam, composed.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Hard to be a critic in such a split second but surely that’s not the right way to counter someone charging at you?

Agree that it's hard to be critical as he had a split second to make up his mind, but generally it's a very good counter. Good wrestlers will often drop for a double leg on a hard charging opponent and the guy doing the charging will look silly as they get taken down hard. Having seen Jorge start and then end the fight against Till with similar charges that involved different strikes (first one was a front kick, second was the fight ending switch stance left hook), I'm sure Ben was aware of it and thought that it played right in to his hands.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I usually buy the ppv through fight pass because streams just fu** my computer up but got home this afternoon managing to avoid spoilers all day and wouldn’t let me buy it for some reason. Then trying to google if there’s problems with fightpass all the results came up and spoiled it anyway. Really annoyed as I had planned to spend my afternoon watching the card.
Oh cry me a river. Poor boy gonna start crying.

Joking! I thought having the fastest K.O in UFC history spoilt sucked ( glitch on my P.P.V for 7 seconds wtf ) you were even more hard done by.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
FMD it’s a brutal game this sport, been right on board the Askren train for a while now and that was absurd.

One of the greatest kos in history.

He obviously didn't expect/aniticpate the flying knee and wasn't even looking at him. His mind was set already in advance ( like a second or two ) in going for the take down.

He shot faster than a virgin on Prom Night.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Just can’t stand him.

His ‘fighting’ style...his contrived little ‘beefs’, his whole ‘wrestling is the best...period’ banter....I don’t even think his trash talk is that great. Chael Lite.
x2

+ that hair!

Just can’t stand him.

His ‘fighting’ style...his contrived little ‘beefs’, his whole ‘wrestling is the best...period’ banter....I don’t even think his trash talk is that great. Chael Lite.

I find him quite entertaining. I could see how his fighting style could be grating, but I enjoy it. I enjoy his personality too, I think it's refreshing to see someone in the UFC with a bit of humility and treats MMA as a sport rather than something personal.

Of course he'll fight again, but it's pushed him back quite a bit in terms of title contention.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I find him quite entertaining. I could see how his fighting style could be grating, but I enjoy it. I enjoy his personality too, I think it's refreshing to see someone in the UFC with a bit of humility and treats MMA as a sport rather than something personal.

Of course he'll fight again, but it's pushed him back quite a bit in terms of title contention.

Masvidal was definitely not in on whatever joke Askren thought he was having in the lead up to this one. Went out there to legit hospitalise the guy, and the only thing he felt afterwards was I wish the ref had been slower ending it so I could of dropped another hammerfist on Askren’s unconscious head.

Absolute animal.

Masvidal was definitely not in on whatever joke Askren thought he was having in the lead up to this one. Went out there to legit hospitalise the guy, and the only thing he felt afterwards was I wish the ref had been slower ending it so I could of dropped another hammerfist on Askren’s unconscious head.

Absolute animal.

He's a good fighter, but definitely has an unhealthy relationship with the sport. Deontay Wilder is similar.

Back