MMA-UFC UFC 239

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben is taking this loss pretty well to be honest, responding on twitter and is going straight on Hewani’s show 24 hours later.

Can’t see him coming back, dude was retired before the One/UFC trade...fingers crossed he goes back to that.

Of course he'll fight again, but it's pushed him back quite a bit in terms of title contention.
I don’t think so, a flash KO doesn’t define a fighters ability, look at Aldo. He was KO’d in identical fashion, first exchange of the fight and he’s fought for the title 3 times since then (yes a better fighter with a better record as champ but it just shows the UFC do what they want) and Askren is probably more marketable to the US market than Aldo. They brought him across for a reason and I think he gets a ranked guy immediately, perhaps Pettis, Dos Anjos or Lawler again. He wins that and is immediately back in contention.

The showboating from Masdival was a bit embarrassing. Be happy buddy but a bit of s**t talk is part of the UFC, Askren didn't go nuclear on him so I dunno why he was so upset.

I really just would have liked to see a longer fight between these guys. Askren ****ed up. Everyone knows that. I guess you couldn't get away with calling Masdival's knee 'lucky' but it was something. Just a shame for mine.

was the most amazing thing i have seen and had me gobsmacked. but after the event was over seen so many trash talking askrin one post on mma opinion someone said he should be moved to the prelims. Id just like to see that fight again I feel a bit ripped off was looking foward to it and tbh that was a one and a million shot ripped off a great fight. I always felt the same with Aldo v Connor that we may have missed a great fight

The showboating from Masdival was a bit embarrassing. Be happy buddy but a bit of s**t talk is part of the UFC, Askren didn't go nuclear on him so I dunno why he was so upset.
Completely agree. Can someone give me the exact quotes of what Askren said that made Masvidal so angry?
The reaction seems completely disproportionate to anything I've heard. Askren was just being his usual cocky, corny self. But Masvidal is acting like he was doing some Conor-level disrespect against his family, culture etc.

Completely agree. Can someone give me the exact quotes of what Askren said that made Masvidal so angry?
The reaction seems completely disproportionate to anything I've heard. Askren was just being his usual cocky, corny self. But Masvidal is acting like he was doing some Conor-level disrespect against his family, culture etc.

I have a feeling it may in large part relate to Masvidal butting heads with Askren when he briefly trained at ATT...breach of the ‘what happens in training stays in training’ code etc. Something about Askren bragging on social media about subbing this person and that person from the ATT camp.

That and Masvidal just looks like one of those full on alpha type dudes who walks around 24/7 with gritted teeth and clenched fists, constantly thinking other dudes are ‘disrespecting’ him etc.

Hardly surprising to see laidback Askren’s schtick go down like a lead balloon with such an individual.

And don’t forget Jorge came up banging in the underground Florida backyard scene, so even if he wasn’t in UFC or Bellator, the dude would still likely be out there illegally throwing hands with people.

Askren just picked a fight and got funky, with the wrong bull.

Plain and simple.

Last edited:
I hate the way women's sports are constantly pushed in everyone's faces as being the equal of men's sports when it's a joke.

Amanda Nunes is as captivating a combat athlete as there is in sport though. She's a genuine star

Agree on both points.

Glad this women’s ⚽ World Cup is over so we can stop having this ‘equal pay for female athletes’ rubbish rammed down our neck.

And Nunes....probably juiced to the eyeballs, but just a wild beast of a women. Literally cleaned out the top tier of womens MMA. Period.

It was very strange I must admit, although Masvidal isn't a very smart man. I think he was too dumb to follow along with the s**t talk so got angrier and angrier

It was very strange I must admit, although Masvidal isn't a very smart man. I think he was too dumb to follow along with the s**t talk so got angrier and angrier

Yeah Jorge looks like he is just an angry unit, who would probably punch on with Apu down at the Quik E Mart over a slurpy, War Machine style.

Yeah Jorge looks like he is just an angry unit, who would probably punch on with Apu down at the Quik E Mart over a slurpy, War Machine style.
Look at the Leon Edwards thing, he barely said anything to him and Jorge punches him lol. He said he walked over with his hands behind his back, yeah for a second and then he took them away and punched someone. I don't mind the don't talk s**t attitude it's fair enough but he's not a bright unit at all

Agree on both points.

Glad this women’s ⚽ World Cup is over so we can stop having this ‘equal pay for female athletes’ rubbish rammed down our neck.

And Nunes....probably juiced to the eyeballs
, but just a wild beast of a women. Literally cleaned out the top tier of womens MMA. Period.
Cyborg and Holm were both much more physically powerful

Look at the Leon Edwards thing, he barely said anything to him and Jorge punches him lol. He said he walked over with his hands behind his back, yeah for a second and then he took them away and punched someone. I don't mind the don't talk s**t attitude it's fair enough but he's not a bright unit at all

It was crazy really.

Just casually strolled up...then unleashed this ferocious combo at Edwards head. This is AFTER a fight mind you, when most dudes are coming down from a major adrenaline dump.

Not Jorge.

🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cyborg and Holm were both much more physically powerful

Yeah there is something about Nunes shoulders and traps...not disputing talent wise she is in a league of her own in women’s game right now

he was pretty open about not breaking the code of 'what happens in training, stays in training'.

That seemed to be his big issue. Askren talking about how he would school Jorge in training all the time really pissed him off. Im sure when Masvidal koed him, that would have been the first thing he thought of

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

I really just would have liked to see a longer fight between these guys. Askren f’ed up. Everyone knows that. I guess you couldn't get away with calling Masdival's knee 'lucky' but it was something. Just a shame for mine.
I didn't likd it at first.

But it is acceptable to question a guys manhood, disrespect their religion, insult their wife, family and nationality. Because that is hyping a fight.

But showboating for 10 seconds after the fight is not acceptable?

But it is acceptable to question a guys manhood, disrespect their religion, insult their wife, family and nationality. Because that is hyping a fight.

I think the only ones whinging about it are likely soft politically correct pussies who belong watching or covering another sport, or like Helwani are simply looking to confect outrage talking points.

Heaven forbid the outrage from these types if this happened nowadays...

Nah I agree with this, if you wanna talk before the fight then your opponent has a right to his moment as well.

What a dramatic card, wasn't really a fan of Masvidal's "sportsmanship" afterwards but I understand when it happens, they're cage fighters and crazy *ers.

My stream must have been lagging, i checked Twitter just before the Askren fight started and Ariel Helwani tweeted about a 5 second ko, then i saw it, pretty bloody annoying ha ha!

Great performance by Nunes and Santos, thought Jones just squeaked by, not sure why he wouldn't have tried to go for a TD, seems silly to want to stand with a kickboxer just because. Rockhold just got his clock cleaned, the old left hook does it again, some serious power behind that. Chiesa dominated, kind of forgotten in the drama of the rest of the main card though.

I don’t think so, a flash KO doesn’t define a fighters ability, look at Aldo. He was KO’d in identical fashion, first exchange of the fight and he’s fought for the title 3 times since then (yes a better fighter with a better record as champ but it just shows the UFC do what they want) and Askren is probably more marketable to the US market than Aldo. They brought him across for a reason and I think he gets a ranked guy immediately, perhaps Pettis, Dos Anjos or Lawler again. He wins that and is immediately back in contention.

Oh, I don't doubt his ability now. But he probably has to win another fight now just to be in the position he was in before the loss. If he'd won, he'd have been maybe only a fight or two away from a title fight. That seemed to be his trajectory.

Just can’t stand him.

His ‘fighting’ style...his contrived little ‘beefs’, his whole ‘wrestling is the best...period’ banter....I don’t even think his trash talk is that great. Chael Lite.
Based on his 2 fights so far in the UFC, I can't comprehend how 2 of the most controversial, card topping, bizarre outcome, adrenaline dumping fights would not have you clamoring to see what happens in his next fight? It defies logic.

Personally, I can't wait to see what happens next with him. It's like a train crash that you can't look away from in many respects.

Logic says perhaps he needs a break, give him Damien Maia or a Neil Magny, someone a bit further down the rankings that's not an absolute murderer perhaps.

Based on his 2 fights so far in the UFC, I can't comprehend how 2 of the most controversial, card topping, bizarre outcome, adrenaline dumping fights would not have you clamoring to see what happens in his next fight? It defies logic.

Personally, I can't wait to see what happens next with him. It's like a train crash that you can't look away from in many respects.

Logic says perhaps he needs a break, give him Damien Maia or a Neil Magny, someone a bit further down the rankings that's not an absolute murderer perhaps.

But Askren was supposed to be a murderer? Or at least one that smothers you to death with his ball sac.

The preliminary card was just as good if not better IMO.

Also glad i found this thread.

Askrens out of his league fighting UFC veterans like masvidal, lawler.

He has no stand-up game whatsoever. As masvidal said in his press conference, what is there to be scared of when your opponent has no weapons off the ground? Diving in for a takedown off the break. Give me a @#%&n break. You really thought you were going to be able to take Masvidal down in the opening sequence of the fight?

Maia kills askren.

The preliminary card was just as good if not better IMO.

Also glad i found this thread.

Askrens out of his league fighting UFC veterans like masvidal, lawler.

He has no stand-up game whatsoever. As masvidal said in his press conference, what is there to be scared of when your opponent has no weapons off the ground? Diving in for a takedown off the break. Give me a @#%&n break. You really thought you were going to be able to take Masvidal down in the opening sequence of the fight?

But but....wrestling is the best 😂 1703F768-AD86-4DA8-8EE0-DFDF63DA5F45.gif C727641A-8BDE-40FE-9BF8-408F66906DFC.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back