MMA-UFC UFC 239

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
But Askren was supposed to be a murderer? Or at least one that smothers you to death with his ball sac.
s**t no, he's the furthest thing from it, he's always been a big fish in small ponds. Prior to his UFC contract his dominant reputation was built off wrestling in eastern-based organisations that don't know how to deal with wrestlers.

I'm actually really curious to see how Askren vs Maia plays out. Maia for all his grappling ability, wins by maintaining dominant position for the longest, but he's not a wrestler, he's a Jiujitsu practitioner. Askren "should" by all rights be able to control and 'out-Maia' him.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
s**t no, he's the furthest thing from it, he's always been a big fish in small ponds. Prior to his UFC contract his dominant reputation was built off wrestling in eastern-based organisations that don't know how to deal with wrestlers.

He did have some impressive wins in Bellator. Lima is an absolute killer and Koreshkov, Good, Heiron and Thompson are all quality wins.

I didn't think of an Askren/Maia fight in the aftermath of Sunday's fight. I think that's a good matchup for both guys.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He did have some impressive wins in Bellator. Lima is an absolute killer and Koreshkov, Good, Heiron and Thompson are all quality wins.
Lima's a killer today, but i'm completely ignorant to how good he was in 2012. Was he a killer back then? It's probably tough to gauge based on the competition would've had in Bellator in 2012?

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Let’s be real, if that knee is a foot to the left it doesn’t hit and Askren gets him to the ground. I’m pretty confident a rematch would see Askren by smother.

If Lawler's head had have been a foot to the left, he wouldn't have been in the fight ending choke hold and probably could have punched Askren some more. :drunk:

If Lawler's head had have been a foot to the left, he wouldn't have been in the fight ending choke hold and probably could have punched Askren some more. :drunk:
You’re reaching pal.

One involved Lawler landing bombs on Askren before getting caught in a bulldog choke.

The other involves a legitimate picture perfect knee in the opening sequence of a fight, everything had to go right for it to end how it did, not disputing the knee at all, it was wicked. If anything was off though in the set up and it would have been a very different fight.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
You’re reaching pal.

One involved Lawler landing bombs on Askren before getting caught in a bulldog choke.

The other involves a legitimate picture perfect knee in the opening sequence of a fight, everything had to go right for it to end how it did, not disputing the knee at all, it was wicked. If anything was off though in the set up and it would have been a very different fight.

I'm reaching no further than you though. You can play the what if game for pretty much every fight in history. McGregor's left hand being a few inches lower in the Aldo fight likely sees him getting KO'd by Aldo's left hook which would now land at full power. Condit's head kick against GSP lands one inch closer to the temple and he wins the title and so on. Why speculate on what ifs?

I'm reaching no further than you though. You can play the what if game for pretty much every fight in history. McGregor's left hand being a few inches lower in the Aldo fight likely sees him getting KO'd by Aldo's left hook which would now land at full power. Condit's head kick against GSP lands one inch closer to the temple and he wins the title and so on. Why speculate on what ifs?
I feel the same way about Conor koing Aldo. It wasn’t a fluke as they game planned for it, but it was sheer luck that everything they trained for the prior 3-4 months, and the opponent played right into their hands down to the centimetre.

It’s not proving who the better fighter is, it’s proving who had the better game plan. In both cases of Aldo and Askren, I think that in a rematch they wipe the floor with Conor and Jorge. Just my opinion.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
I feel the same way about Conor koing Aldo. It wasn’t a fluke as they game planned for it, but it was sheer luck that everything they trained for the prior 3-4 months, and the opponent played right into their hands down to the centimetre.

It’s not proving who the better fighter is, it’s proving who had the better game plan. In both cases of Aldo and Askren, I think that in a rematch they wipe the floor with Conor and Jorge. Just my opinion.

Quite possibly. I was a big advocate of wanting to see Aldo and McGregor fight again, but I struggle to call either win a fluke. Both guys that won threw a strike that landed exactly where they intended it to and had the desired outcome. That's not luck, that's years of practice and hard work paying off. If I was to throw a flying knee in a fight and have it land and KO someone, that would be pure luck as I've never thrown one in my life.

Quite possibly. I was a big advocate of wanting to see Aldo and McGregor fight again, but I struggle to call either win a fluke. Both guys that won threw a strike that landed exactly where they intended it to and had the desired outcome. That's not luck, that's years of practice and hard work paying off. If I was to throw a flying knee in a fight and have it land and KO someone, that would be pure luck as I've never thrown one in my life.
Different strokes for different people. 99 times out of 100 that strike isn’t going to land flush, it just happened to. They were gambling on their opponent starting the exact way they needed them too. My thoughts at the end of the day, would like to see Askren dominate his next 2 fights and get another shot at Jorge.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Damn..

Back