MMA-UFC UFC 242

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

UFC 242: Khabib vs Poirier
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Lightweight champion khabib Nurmagomedov returns from suspension to the octagon for the first time since October last year to face interm champion Dustin Poirier. Khabib will be looking to continue his undefeated mma record whilst Dustin is looking to unify the titles and become the king of the lightweight division.

The co main event will see a rematch between two top contenders in the light weight division between Edson Barboza and Paul Felder. When these two met over four years ago it was the more experienced Barboza taking a unanimous decision win over the Irish dragon.

Main Card:
Khabib Nurmagomedov(c) vs Dustin Poirier (ic)
Edson Barboza vs Paul Felder
Islam Makhachev vs Davi Ramos
Curtis Blaydes vs Shamil Abdurakhimov
Mairbek Taisumov vs Carlos Diego Ferreira

Prelims:
Joanne Calderwood vs Andrea Lee
Zubaira Tukhugov vs Lerone Murphy
Liana Jojua vs Sarah Moras
Ottman Azaitar vs Teemu Packalén

Early prelims:
Belal Muhammad vs Takashi Sato
Nordine Taleb vs Muslim Salikhov
Omari Akhmedov vs Zac Cummings
Don Madge vs Fares Ziam

I was going to head down with some mates to watch this at a bar in Geelong.

Then we realized it starts at 4am. Might get up at 6 and watch the main event

Part of me wants to see Poirier win but then I see him claiming if he wins that will make him the bet lightweight of all time. What a crook of s**t, you beat the guy once on a 27 fight streak and that makes you the best of alltime? lol

If Poirier did somehow win and then beats Ferguson, then he enters the conversation

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Unlikely to get the ppv for this one and no bars will be open to show it :/

Kinda hoping we'd get the UK's treatment considering the start time of the card. Nup....mainevent still asking customers to pay $55 for a 4am ppv.
I'll probably watch and probably won't pay $55.

Main event are kidding themselves lately. $60 for Horn/Zerafa, $50 for Tszyu, $55 for 4am UFC PPV. Literally none of it worth the money

Probably worth changing the pricing structure...

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Part of me wants to see Poirier win but then I see him claiming if he wins that will make him the bet lightweight of all time. What a crook of s**t, you beat the guy once on a 27 fight streak and that makes you the best of alltime? lol

If Poirier did somehow win and then beats Ferguson, then he enters the conversation

A resume of Miller, Pettis, Holloway, Gaethje and Alvarez is already a great resume. Beating an undefeated champion to go along with that would put him in the conversation. Look through the other great 155ers and tell me who's resume would look better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A resume of Miller, Pettis, Holloway, Gaethje and Alvarez is already a great resume. Beating an undefeated champion to go along with that would put him in the conversation. Look through the other great 155ers and tell me who's resume would look better.
Ferguson & Henderson off top of my head

Holloway has had one fight at lightweight

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Ferguson & Henderson off top of my head

Holloway has had one fight at lightweight

I'm not using Holloway as a potential lightweight GOAT, I'm listing him as a quality win.

Henderson - Melendez, Edgar x 2, Miller and Cerrone are likely his best wins.
Ferguson - dos Anjos, Cerrone, Barboza and Pettis would be his best.

The quality of the wins for the three of them are pretty close, but adding Khabib would IMO give Poirier an edge.

I'm not using Holloway as a potential lightweight GOAT, I'm listing him as a quality win.

Henderson - Melendez, Edgar x 2, Miller and Cerrone are likely his best wins.
Ferguson - dos Anjos, Cerrone, Barboza and Pettis would be his best.

The quality of the wins for the three of them are pretty close, but adding Khabib would IMO give Poirier an edge.
what about Khabib himself?

McGregor, Iaquinta, RDA, Barboza & Johnson? probably not very deep to be fair but he is undefeated in 27.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I respect Poirier and what he’s been able to achieve but there’s levels to this game and for mine it’s only about if he can survive 5 rounds of Khabib or not. I’m predicting a stoppage in the 3rd or 4th.

I’d like to see KN fight Ferguson or GSP if those fights could ever eventuate but I think the true tests and legacy cementer awaits him at WW.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I respect Poirier and what he’s been able to achieve but there’s levels to this game and for mine it’s only about if he can survive 5 rounds of Khabib or not. I’m predicting a stoppage in the 3rd or 4th.

I’d like to see KN fight Ferguson or GSP if those fights could ever eventuate but I think the true tests and legacy cementer awaits him at WW.
Khabib vs Ferguson has been the fight to make for years now. Can’t remember how many times they have booked it and had it fall through. If it never happens it will be one of the biggest missed opportunities in the history of the sport. Fingers crossed it happens next.
It would also be really interesting to see if Khabib could keep his undefeated record intact at welterweight. I’m confident he could handle most of the division but it could be interesting to see him against some of the better grapplers Usman, Askren ect.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Khabib vs Ferguson has been the fight to make for years now. Can’t remember how many times they have booked it and had it fall through. If it never happens it will be one of the biggest missed opportunities in the history of the sport. Fingers crossed it happens next.
It would also be really interesting to see if Khabib could keep his undefeated record intact at welterweight. I’m confident he could handle most of the division but it could be interesting to see him against some of the better grapplers Usman, Askren ect.
I’m confident he would’ve taken Woodley but Usman presents a much different challenge. Khabib vs Covington would be Dana White’s wettest dream. A fight with Nate Diaz would draw ridiculous numbers too.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Khabib vs Tony winner is the undisputed LW goat, until that fight happens it’s an unknown.

Khabib doesn’t need to go to 170, huge fights at 155 anyway. Usmans kinda his mate anyway, and Nate could make 155.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
what about Khabib himself?

McGregor, Iaquinta, RDA, Barboza & Johnson? probably not very deep to be fair but he is undefeated in 27.

Being unbeaten for that long is just about unheard of, so no doubt it's very impressive. Does lack a bit after the RDA and McGregor wins though. Him adding Poirier to his list of wins or vice versa certainly helps their case for having the best resume.

Back