MMA-UFC UFC 242

Being unbeaten for that long is just about unheard of, so no doubt it's very impressive. Does lack a bit after the RDA and McGregor wins though. Him adding Poirier to his list of wins or vice versa certainly helps their case for having the best resume.
yeah your probably kind of right.

But I think Poirier needs to beat Khabib and Ferguson to claim being the goat.

Because if Poirier somehow manages to beat Khabib and then lose to Ferguson that would arguably make Ferguson the goat imo

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Dale_Thomas

Senior List
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not a huge fan of this card. I reckon it will struggle to do any kind of PPV numbers.
Khabib refusing to do media day and the open workout is rubbish IMO. Huge amount of media and fans who have made the trip over.
Really hope Poirier puts him to sleep.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not a huge fan of this card. I reckon it will struggle to do any kind of PPV numbers.
Khabib refusing to do media day and the open workout is rubbish IMO. Huge amount of media and fans who have made the trip over.
Really hope Poirier puts him to sleep.
Always annoys me fighters skipping those requirements, only some people can get away with it.

But it doesn’t mean too much, I think it will do quite well purely off Khabibs name on ppv and seems to be making good coin for the ufc in Abu Dhabi.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Will get and watch the replay when I wake up.

I love that crazy cold Russian campaigner. Would also like to see him lose too for the upset meter, although it wouldn't be considered that big an upset, would it?

* Read the last part in Bruce Mcaveney's voice

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Geez it would stir things up if Poirier could get up on the weekend, not likely though. So Main event is likely to be around 6am or so by my calculations?

Yeah, should be right around 6 for the main event.

I reckon Poirier has a good chance in this fight. He's very well rounded, has big power (which he carries for 5 rounds) and he doesn't get tired. I think Khabib likely has the advantage early, but the longer the fight goes the better it is for Dustin.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seriously is Poirier any chance outside of a 'punchers chance'?

I like him, seems like a genuinely good dude and somebody who cares about the sport, but seriously.

Khabib is a beast.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fight #1: Taisumov vs Terreira. Excellent fight.

Fight #2: Blaydes vs Abdur. Woeful fight. Complete mismatch.

Fight #3: Mahachev vs Ramos. Boring fight. Seriously boring.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Poirier had some good moments but Khabib's dominance is just too good. He has to be knocked out to be defeated....it's the only route his opponents have.

Poirier did the best he could.
I didn’t see the fight but it certainly seems that ko is the only way to get it done. Everyone who gets taken down by khabib is putting all their energy into standing back up and I thought against Ferguson he will more likely work offensively off his back going for triangles and other submissions. However the way khabib ties up people legs and squished them against the cage there’s not really an opening to do anything off your back.

Dale_Thomas

Senior List
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dustin put up a good fight but ultimately went the way everyone expected.
Khabib's comments after the fight suggested he wants a long lay off before his next fight.
He said the "last 2 years have been very busy"... but he's only fought twice in 18 months.
Champions should be active. The Ferguson fight needs to happen sooner rather than later.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Khabib mentioned Dustins guillotine was deep and not far away. Also Dustins combos landed a couple of times. A couple of good signs for Tony. Generally though don't think the sub threat off his back is Tonys best chance of victory. It's Tonys striking and unpredictability on his feet IMO.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Dustin put up a good fight but ultimately went the way everyone expected.
Khabib's comments after the fight suggested he wants a long lay off before his next fight.
He said the "last 2 years have been very busy"... but he's only fought twice in 18 months.
Champions should be active. The Ferguson fight needs to happen sooner rather than later.
To train and compete at the highest level is ******* massive. As he said, huge pressure on his shoulders. That's every aspect

To fight
To fight against the best
Training
Time it takes to train, and be away from your family and '' normality ''
The highs and lows of training/ Training Camp/Stress levels. Then all of this trickles into every day life ( refer normality )

It's a very draining sport and as GSP said you can't be a normal person. You have to be obsessed to win and be the best.

Back