MMA-UFC UFC 242

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Khabib would have been under immense stress from the suspension as well as missing out on what he loves doing. The speech at the end showed how grateful he was, how appreciative. When walking out he was feeling the pressure and looked as if he was about to cry, hence the burying his head in his hands.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Khabib mentioned Dustins guillotine was deep and not far away. Also Dustins combos landed a couple of times. A couple of good signs for Tony. Generally though don't think the sub threat off his back is Tonys best chance of victory. It's Tonys striking and unpredictability on his feet IMO.

Yep, on the few fights I seen of both I will back Ferguson to actually get him if they fight anytime in rest of the year. Khabib I think will try to avoid it and probably manage to find some excuse to get out of it and say timing does not suit and try to find someone he less concerned about. I actually sense Ferguson the only one that he would not be as confident against as he shows outwardly.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Yep, on the few fights I seen of both I will back Ferguson to actually get him if they fight anytime in rest of the year. Khabib I think will try to avoid it and probably manage to find some excuse to get out of it and say timing does not suit and try to find someone he less concerned about. I actually sense Ferguson the only one that he would not be as confident against as he shows outwardly.
100%. I see this too (see profile). Tony is definitely the biggest threat to Khabib. Gaethje the next best.
The best analogy I can give for Khabib vs Ferg is its a classic case of an unstoppable force (khabib) meeting an immovable object (Ferg). Khabib breaks the will of fighters within the first 2 rounds. Guys like Barboza, Al, Conor & now DP were broken early by his relentless grappling. Tony probably has the strongest mindset in the UFC. I see Khabib controlling the fight for the first 2 rounds but from Round 3 I genuinely think Tony will take over. His cardio is unmatched, he will be pressuring Khabib hard, a situation Khabib has rarely been in. At this point he will find it harder and harder to take Tony down and when its on the ground there is going to be lots of blood, harder to dominate with top control. Khabib will need to finish him early to win this. the later it goes the more it favors Tony. If it goes to the cards I think Tony wins. Legit been waiting for this fight since 2015. One of few PPV's id pay to see just for the ME.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Having just watched the fight again....I’m convinced Khabib could have won via submission in the first round but wanted to drag it out. Those neck cranks could have been RNC’s.
Couldn't agree more. He'd definitely risk not getting an early finish and a chance to lose.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland

Yeah, Khabib is clearly scared of Ferg. Those 4 contracts he signed previously to fight him were just a bluff!

Another superb performance by Khabib. I thought Poirier would ask more questions of him, but he ragdolled him the same way he has everyone else. Dustin's striking looked very sloppy in the fight, but he still managed to have some success. Jack Slack did a feature on his striking recently where he pointed out his improvements as a striker which effectively came down to planting his feet. His early fights he had a habit of almost falling in to the clinch as he tried to catch up with his punches and he almost did the same thing yesterday. The way Khabib handled him yesterday, I doubt it would have made too much difference if he hadn't have reverted to some bad habits.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ferg would need to get to rounds 4 & 5 for his insane cardio to take over but unless he makes Khabib work for the TD rather than easily being taken down, then working which is more likely it won't matter. Khabib decision would be my pick but would be an awesome fight

No idea why as it makes no sense but I could see Ferg missing the title fight again. Gaethje with a big KO win this weekend or a Conor rematch (yawn) are directions they could go, most likely Conor.

Any chance Dana throws a low ball offer for Tony to refuse the fight so he can give it to his boy Conor?
Possible.....I guess his offer will be mainly based around what's in Tony's contract plus ppv points. Tony certainly doesn't have any leverage considering McGregor will instantly take the rematch offer.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
It won’t be great money but Tony should get a good contract and the fight will be signed. The UFC are aware it’s now undeniable and a big fight anyway.

They will have greater financial options after that fight.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Even if the money isn't great for Tony, he'd be a fool to turn down the fight.
If he beats Khabib, the paydays that will follow will certainly make up for it.
It’s tough, and similar to the Colby situation.

These guys still need to get paid fair money, Colby was lowballed on Usman fight, and the UFC just said accept or the shot goes to Jorge.

The Tony fight should be good though hopefully.

Yep. We might get a money fight in the near future but that's it.

They don't want to give GSP a title shot against Khabib when its clear he won't fight regularly, not going to change that for Conor.

Yep. We might get a money fight in the near future but that's it.

They don't want to give GSP a title shot against Khabib when its clear he won't fight regularly, not going to change that for Conor.
If 2010 GSP could fight 2019 Khabib that would be one of the most intriguing fights ever. It's almost 2 years since GSP's last fight. GSP has always been about his legacy, so if he were offered a chance to be the first - and likely only 3 division champion, I think he'd take it.

His legacy is already cemented and a loss at LW wouldn't tarnish it, so Khabib is really the only one with anything to lose. I think that another big reason it wouldn't happen.

If 2010 GSP could fight 2019 Khabib that would be one of the most intriguing fights ever. It's almost 2 years since GSP's last fight. GSP has always been about his legacy, so if he were offered a chance to be the first - and likely only 3 division champion, I think he'd take it.

His legacy is already cemented and a loss at LW wouldn't tarnish it, so Khabib is really the only one with anything to lose. I think that another big reason it wouldn't happen.

GSP wants the fight, Khabib wants the fight but the UFC won't make it because of GSP not returning 'full time'.

I don't like allowances for fighters or people walking into titleshots but would love to see the fight.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dana isn’t exactly a big GSP fan, obviously a little different on Conor.

George would have to make 155, which I’m unsure if he can. Dana left the door open for a fight between the two just the other day at the presser.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland

I don't think there would be many fantasy "past vs present" fights where I'd favour the past fighter, but I think 2010 GSP would get the job done. His defensive wrestling was almost as good as his offensive wrestling and he would have a big advantage in the stand up.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Khabib/Tony at this point will profit more than GSP/Khabib. Only need to pay Tony 1/10th of GSP's purse and fans are hanging to finally see this fight. It'll do decent numbers. UFC shouldn't be too desperate for GSP/Khabib. GSP may be required for a money fight but he's not needed in this one

It’s a huge money fight though, you never know. They were gonna give Brock a shot against Cormier, they could easily do this.

I wouldn't put it past the UFC, but the HW division which is reasonably thin vs the solid LW divison is a big factor IMO.

Stipe and Joanna got rematches off the back of brutal 1st round KO's but they had a decent string of defences to justify a rematch.

Even for the semi casuals, do people want to see Conor/Khabib again? The fight went as expected and nothing to suggest it would be any different.

Guys like Masvidal are happy to pass on a title shot for a money fight, but Conor is the only one other than Nate that has that draw power and if Conor gets a rematch, puts a few guys justifiably offside.

I dunno, things can change but if everyone is healthy, I can't see it happening. I said Conor/Floyd would never happens so shows how much I know.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I wouldn't put it past the UFC, but the HW division which is reasonably thin vs the solid LW divison is a big factor IMO.

Stipe and Joanna got rematches off the back of brutal 1st round KO's but they had a decent string of defences to justify a rematch.

Even for the semi casuals, do people want to see Conor/Khabib again? The fight went as expected and nothing to suggest it would be any different.

Guys like Masvidal are happy to pass on a title shot for a money fight, but Conor is the only one other than Nate that has that draw power and if Conor gets a rematch, puts a few guys justifiably offside.

I dunno, things can change but if everyone is healthy, I can't see it happening. I said Conor/Floyd would never happens so shows how much I know.

Same here ha ha.

The fight in a competitive sense is illogical, but from a theater and money sense it does make sense. Which is really like how Floyd and Conor happened i suppose.

Back