MMA-UFC UFC 243 - October 6

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew they were bad but I didn't know they wwre that bad.

Apparently there needs to be 100k buys before the fighters even see a cut of the money
Standard contract is 200k buys but each would try and negotiate prior. Nunes tweeted a copy of her offer once which is $2.50 per buy above 200k from memory (on top of her show/win)

Standard contract is 200k buys but each would try and negotiate prior. Nunes tweeted a copy of her offer once which is $2.50 per buy above 200k from memory (on top of her show/win)
for such a brutal sport it really seems ridiculously low money for athletes at the top of the sport

for such a brutal sport it really seems ridiculously low money for athletes at the top of the sport
Absolutely. Gaethje is probably the most exciting guy on the roster right now but earns <250k a fight. This is due to the UFC promoting the UFC brand more than it does any fighter. They don't need stars, they just want a turnstile of fighters it can put in the octagon. That way they can pay a pittance and rake in 85% of the revenue

You won't see them deal with Conor/Brock etc too much while their loans are covered by ESPN's new deal. Why pay out $20M+ to someone to make $60M when you can pay someone $1 to get $40...Much less risk

Whilst both boxing and MMA are star driven sports, boxing promotes their fighters as the stars of the show. The UFC brand is the star in MMA

In saying all that, I seriously doubt Nunes brings in many buys by herself. A card isn't going from 150k buys to 200k just because of her so I can see why they play hardball in some instances

Date of NRL Grand Final. Going to be interesting if it is in Sydney and what effect it has on crowds.

I think its doable for someone to attend UFC in afternoon and NRL GF at night.

I don't get why people who don't fight complain about fighter pay? Most guys I train/work with don't and they make peanuts compared to guys even close to the UFC. Yeah, it's a violent and dangerous game, but most fighters these days do it because they love it. It's not a ghetto survival things like the boxing days of old.

They know what they're signing up for. Start paying MMA fighters like boxers and you'll get boxing quality cards. ONE good fight, and four prelims with top prospects vs cans to protect that 0. Be careful what you wish for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bigger venue isn't necessarily better.

Rousey/Holm card at docklands was eerily quiet despite having 50+ thousand inside. and when the crowd did make noise the atmosphere kinda got lost in all that space......it's weird its kinda hard to describe.

Rod Laver with Whittaker/Brunson a lot shorter crowd but they were all the hardcore fans and the atmosphere you could hear and feel inside that place. Particularly during the main event fight.

Like I've said before....if you're gonna do Marvel Stadium....you'll need more than just Whittaker & Adesanya.

I paid about $150 for Rod Laver but you can't really get a bad seat there. Won't be going ground level, won't see anything but going further back has it's own problems
Bigger venue isn't necessarily better.

Rousey/Holm card at docklands was eerily quiet despite having 50+ thousand inside. and when the crowd did make noise the atmosphere kinda got lost in all that space......it's weird its kinda hard to describe.

Rod Laver with Whittaker/Brunson a lot shorter crowd but they were all the hardcore fans and the atmosphere you could hear and feel inside that place. Particularly during the main event fight.

Like I've said before....if you're gonna do Marvel Stadium....you'll need more than just Whittaker & Adesanya.

The atmosphere during Whittaker v Brunson was incredible, particularly given the nature of the actual fight, was basically a skilled street fight

Got to have two title fights.

Could we see Volkanovski v winner of Holloway/Edgar. Only a 2 month turnaround. Time period could be tough if there is damage in that fight.

The other option is at Welterweight, Usman v Covington.

Got to have two title fights.

Could we see Volkanovski v winner of Holloway/Edgar. Only a 2 month turnaround. Time period could be tough if there is damage in that fight.

The other option is at Welterweight, Usman v Covington.

I assume that's what Dana would be looking at, he'll be crossing his fingers but I see Holloway/Edgar going 5 rounds so depends how much damage the winner takes of course. I think it's too early for Tyson Pedro to come back, hopefully they'll get Tuivasa on the card for a bit of fun as well.

I assume that's what Dana would be looking at, he'll be crossing his fingers but I see Holloway/Edgar going 5 rounds so depends how much damage the winner takes of course. I think it's too early for Tyson Pedro to come back, hopefully they'll get Tuivasa on the card for a bit of fun as well.
Yeah I'd say Tuivasa is a lock. Jimmy Crute just got booked for a UFC Vancouver in September so he's out. A bit bizarre as he's a great Aussie up-and-comer who the crowd genuinely loves. We can expect all the NZ crew to be there as well - Dan Hooker, Kai Kara-France, Shane Young.

Definitely needs another title fight though. I just can't see where it's going to come from. Maybe Cejudo? Maybe one of the women?

Yeah I'd say Tuivasa is a lock. Jimmy Crute just got booked for a UFC Vancouver in September so he's out. A bit bizarre as he's a great Aussie up-and-comer who the crowd genuinely loves. We can expect all the NZ crew to be there as well - Dan Hooker, Kai Kara-France, Shane Young.

Definitely needs another title fight though. I just can't see where it's going to come from. Maybe Cejudo? Maybe one of the women?

Jimmy Crute tweeted that he's going to starch the bloke early so he can fight in Melbourne, I hope so. And yeah Dan Hooker is good to watch, maybe this time Kai Kara France can get a win on his own merits, not his fault but his last decision in Melbourne was a gift.

Such a shame Justin Willis got released from the UFC, he and Tuivasa opening the main card makes so much sense.

Such a shame Justin Willis got released from the UFC, he and Tuivasa opening the main card makes so much sense.
Not according to him, all social media stuff that he's been in or involved in says that was fake news and that he wants the Tai fight.

But then, he IS full of s**t so who really knows. Somebody tweet DW and ask him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back