MMA-UFC UFC 243 - October 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I saw that happening tbh. It was a perfect matchup stylistically for Hooker. Al's not quite as technical, fast or explosive as a guy like Barbosa, and he doesn't use his range as well as Hooker does. I think Poirier's power would give Hooker problems, I could see him getting inside Hookers range regularly.
I think Cowboy would be a good fight for him, and I think Cowboy would actually give him a lot of trouble.

Cowboy would be a huge fight. Raging Al and Cowboy would be good back to back wins which would skyrocket his chances at fighting a contender.

Still so annoyed about this result, the next day! Whittaker was such a good, humble champion, not to mention that he has some classic wars in his fight history.

Rob has plenty of time on his side. Most don't realise he's actually a couple of years younger than Adesanya, who people call a "kid". His gameplan was obviously to apply immense pressure, which meant a lot of 100% hooks. He backed his own stamina to be able to throw those for a couple of rounds, and hopefully get the KO.

The problem was that Adesanya is so damn lanky, that maybe only 10% of anything was hitting him. Given his time again, I think Whittaker could get beat him. Needed to pick his shots more, and drag Israel into the deep waters of the 5th round I reckon. Adesanya looked gassed at the end of the Gastelum fight. If he does move up to LHW for Jones, he'll get f’ed up. Jones stamina against Smith and Gustafsson was outlandish, and he's is a fantastic striker but has even better BJJ/wrestling. If Israel wants a legacy, he should stick to fighting guys way shorter than him at middleweight. It's a winning formula, so far.

Probably Gastelum is next for Whittaker, with Adesanya fighting Costa.
he got knocked the * out and he could beat him if they fought again? You Whitaker fan bois have no idea.

So biased.

Yeah I saw that happening tbh. It was a perfect matchup stylistically for Hooker. Al's not quite as technical, fast or explosive as a guy like Barbosa, and he doesn't use his range as well as Hooker does. I think Poirier's power would give Hooker problems, I could see him getting inside Hookers range regularly.
I think Cowboy would be a good fight for him, and I think Cowboy would actually give him a lot of trouble.
and if he calls out Cowboy you know he will say yes

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

he got knocked the fu** out and he could beat him if they fought again? You Whitaker fan bois have no idea.

So biased.
plenty of top fighter have avenged ko loses

plenty of top fighter have avenged ko loses

giphy-downsized-large.gif

not many can stand & bang with Adesanya, not sure why Whittaker just wanted to take his head off. He had to adopt a more patient game-plan, mixing in takedowns. The only style of fighter I see beating izzy is a Khabib type. If Usman moved up I rekon he has the best chance. Izzy will piece up Costa on the feet. Romero poses a bigger threat imo.
For the record, Izzy would get absolutely obliterated by Bones, not even close. He would get taken down and submitted inside 3 rounds

he got knocked the fu** out and he could beat him if they fought again? You Whitaker fan bois have no idea.

So biased.

You're either s**t stirring or you're quite new to combat sports. Plenty of fighters have avenged KOs. GSP for example got ****ed up by Matt Sera and later beat him up.

Edit: someone mentioned GSP, so I'll chuck in Liddell vs Couture

So biased.
You've already been show up for having very little MMA knowledge, don't embarass yourself

not many can stand & bang with Adesanya, not sure why Whittaker just wanted to take his head off. He had to adopt a more patient game-plan, mixing in takedowns. The only style of fighter I see beating izzy is a Khabib type. If Usman moved up I rekon he has the best chance. Izzy will piece up Costa on the feet. Romero poses a bigger threat imo.
For the record, Izzy would get absolutely obliterated by Bones, not even close. He would get taken down and submitted inside 3 rounds
The Costa fight poses a very similar challenge to what Whittaker had. Costas going to get hit a lot especially if he just walks forward where as Izzy doesn’t get hit that easily. Costa a big underdog for mine but his power gives him a chance but I can’t see him doing it.

The Costa fight poses a very similar challenge to what Whittaker had. Costas going to get hit a lot especially if he just walks forward where as Izzy doesn’t get hit that easily. Costa a big underdog for mine but his power gives him a chance but I can’t see him doing it.

yeh agreed. fast & powerful front leg kicks early in the fight would be my strategy vs Izzy, he changes stance a lot so id try and beat up both legs to try restrict his footwork which is clearly better than anyone's. I don't know if Costa has this in his arsenal. Whittaker didn't really do this, he was throwing too many awkward oblique kicks which are much harder to land. This kind of boggled my mind when I saw him doing this.

yeh agreed. fast & powerful front leg kicks early in the fight would be my strategy vs Izzy, he changes stance a lot so id try and beat up both legs to try restrict his footwork which is clearly better than anyone's. I don't know if Costa has this in his arsenal. Whittaker didn't really do this, he was throwing too many awkward oblique kicks which are much harder to land. This kind of boggled my mind when I saw him doing this.
Costa throws massive kicks, usually to the body. I don’t know how much success he’ll have landing them. He’ll kind of has to try to pressure Adensanya against the cage but will probably get picked apart from counters.

wasn’t that surprised by Robs oblique kicks, he used them early v Romero 2. Not a bad option but not easy to land against a guy like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whittaker didn't really do this, he was throwing too many awkward oblique kicks which are much harder to land. This kind of boggled my mind when I saw him doing this.
As has been mentioned by JG22 he likes to use them. I think it is mostly to keep his opponent at range. Low landing percentage but if one lands flush on an opponents knee it could do a lot of damage to the knee. Jones uses them all the time for the same reason except Jones wants them at his range as it makes him the only one who can land. Rob wants to keep Israel at distance until he attacks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back