MMA-UFC UFC 244 : Diaz v Masvidal

Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton, Mount Buller Demons
A rather anti-climactic end to what was a really solid card today. I'm no eye cut expert so don't really have much to say on that - of course we'd all love to see that fight end naturally.

Outside of his extreme durability and cardio, I don't think Diaz had much to offer Masvidal tonight. They're both as game as they come. I thought Masvidal was well up on the score card and was butchering him and that it didn't look like going any other way, but hey, this is sport, and we watch because it is unpredictable. It very much reminded me of the Wonderboy/Luque fight. I'll tune in again, but don't think the end result will be anything different.

The card as a whole was really good. Plenty of fights that can be watched again and a few nice highlights, like Kevin Lee and his brutal head kick KO!

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Darren Till did what he needed to do. Coming off a really nasty KO and moving up in weight division. Smart defensive victory.
Looks huge at middleweight lol.

Interesting to see what’s next for Masvidal? Winner of Covington/Usman?

Apparently they are trying to organise Edwards v Woodley for the McGregor card in January.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
End of the day the doctor has a job to do and his careers on the line.
It's true but the frustrating things for me are:
  • Nate has an excuse now
  • I don't get to see him beaten to a pulp for another 2 rounds
  • I don't get to shake my head at him thinking he's won another 5 rounder
  • Nate has no brain cells left so it doesn't matter
  • The UFC loves money and so will want a rematch
  • I have to hear people act like Nate is an awesome fighter for another 6 months...coz Stockton...coz so durable...coz he doesn't give a *...coz my brother is Nick Diaz and he's the best fighter on the planet despite being another s**t journeyman only slightly bigger.
:mad::fire:

Till is the biggest winner of the night. Won without getting out of second gear against a bloke who busted up the current champ only a few months ago.

Wonderboy was good too. Too long, too accurate.

It's true but the frustrating things for me are:
  • Nate has an excuse now
  • I don't get to see him beaten to a pulp for another 2 rounds
  • I don't get to shake my head at him thinking he's won another 5 rounder
  • Nate has no brain cells left so it doesn't matter
  • The UFC loves money and so will want a rematch
  • I have to hear people act like Nate is an awesome fighter for another 6 months...coz Stockton...coz so durable...coz he doesn't give a fu**...coz my brother is Nick Diaz and he's the best fighter on the planet despite being another s**t journeyman only slightly bigger.
:mad::fire:
I honestly think the final two rounds would have been interesting, it’s where Nate excels, generally.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I honestly think the final two rounds would have been interesting, it’s where Nate excels, generally.
I disagree. Yes his cardio is excellent and he overwhelms people but I think it's a common myth that he's great in 5 rounders.

He's had 2x 5 round fights - both losses. He was never in the Henderson fight. He lost the 4th round to Conor (all 3 judges scored the round 10-9) - a missed opportunity and he should have really turned up the pace in that round. Even the 5th round would have been interesting had he not ended up on top right at the end.

I think he has a great poker face. He wasn't turning it up against Masvidal because of the body shots and I think they would have continued to nullify him. I think he was tired against Conor because there was no real excuse not to push the pace as he does it in every fight when he can.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Till is the biggest winner of the night. Won without getting out of second gear against a bloke who busted up the current champ only a few months ago.

Wonderboy was good too. Too long, too accurate.
I agree with Till. KG needs to let down the air in his head imo.

I think Kevin Lee and Thompson share runner-up honours. No one wanted Gillespie and he kicked his head off. Both Luque and Gillespie wanted to springboard off of top contenders and they both lucked out. Kevin Lee at Tristar is interesting - the Tristar jab and improved cardio could really round out his game. He had Ferguson done - the staph and lack of cardio cost him.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1572760009103.png

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Diaz absorbed so much but he was going to go hammer in tong in the last two. Wouldn't have been beyond him to get the win although undoubtedly Mas was in the box seat after beating him to a pulp for 3 rounds.

Will be good when they go again. Loved the post fight talk btw. Masvidal really is a bad ass mofo ( cringe worthy name I know for that belt ) he would have took on the whole arena for getting boo'd like that. Funny campaigner couldn't and wasn't going to let that go.

Love Nate as well. Ruthless campaigners.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Except for it’s really not. He’s never won a 5 round fight and even Conor got the better of him in the 5th round of their fight. One of the biggest myths going around.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I like that fight but ranking wise it doesn't make sense.
Why not? Till was ranked 10 and he beat the number 3, surely moves into ~7 now. I can't see who's next for Whittaker. Can't go with Romero again and Costa will want a shot at Izzy.

Spose it's Gastelum actually.

Back