MMA-UFC UFC 246 - McGregor Vs Cowboy

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaethje conor wont happen imo
Itll be straight to jorge for the bmf
Khabib rematch wont happen unless khabibs purse is so big he cant turn it down
All imo of course, obviously no idea what will happen

What we need is ferg to knock khabib off and throw a massive spanner in the works
U can bet conor v ferg would then be pushed hard next, surely
Conor said he is looking at a short turn around and wants Gaethje

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Cowboy is my favorite fighter by a long way.....I have always stated this. Having said that I think he fights stupidly on many occasions. Alot of his loses of recent times I can think of Gaethje, Masvidal, Till & possibly Edwards I reckon he could of won had he taken the fights to the ground rather than being too stubborn and keeping them standing up. He is a great kickboxer but his ground game is so good that I don't know why he hasn't taken these fights to the ground on his terms. The only real fight lately he went to the ground was Perry and that was because Perry initiated it.

Some serious rose coloured glasses being used there mate. Cerrone tried and failed to get Edwards to the ground in that fight, so can't really give him a pass there. Gaethje is a much better wrestler, so I don't think Cerrone was taking him down if he tried. He attempted takedowns against both Till and Masvidal too, but either couldn't get them down or keep them there and was outclassed on the feet. There's no shame in any of those losses, but chalking them up to cowboy fighting dumb is being a bit harsh on the other guys in there who performed superbly.

I'll be hoping for a Cowboy win, but expect McGregor will get him out of there early with those body kicks he used repeatedly against Mendes.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
even if Cowboy wanted to take it to the mat, I don't know if he has the grappling to take Conor down. his TD's aren't that special & I trust Conor to be able to stuff them in the early rounds. Either way I think he sparks Cowboy inside 2 rounds.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
even if Cowboy wanted to take it to the mat, I don't know if he has the grappling to take Conor down. his TD's aren't that special & I trust Conor to be able to stuff them in the early rounds. Either way I think he sparks Cowboy inside 2 rounds.

He's not a guy with an explosive double leg like GSP or a guy who's an octopus in the clinch like Khabib, but his takedowns as usually extremely well timed and take opponents by surprise. Conor showed some decent takedown defense against Khabib, but I wouldn't say he's a stud in the wrestling/grappling department.

Some serious rose coloured glasses being used there mate. Cerrone tried and failed to get Edwards to the ground in that fight, so can't really give him a pass there. Gaethje is a much better wrestler, so I don't think Cerrone was taking him down if he tried. He attempted takedowns against both Till and Masvidal too, but either couldn't get them down or keep them there and was outclassed on the feet. There's no shame in any of those losses, but chalking them up to cowboy fighting dumb is being a bit harsh on the other guys in there who performed superbly.

I'll be hoping for a Cowboy win, but expect McGregor will get him out of there early with those body kicks he used repeatedly against Mendes.

You're robably right.

Tbf Cowboy is a slow starter and struggles against southpaws and body hits so you would be on Conor doing it early. But at 170 the weight could mitigate Conors punching ability and Cerrone you would expect to get better later if Conor gasses again.

Interesting fight none the less but unfortunately I think Conor will most likely win

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
You're robably right.

Tbf Cowboy is a slow starter and struggles against southpaws and body hits so you would be on Conor doing it early. But at 170 the weight could mitigate Conors punching ability and Cerrone you would expect to get better later if Conor gasses again.

Interesting fight none the less but unfortunately I think Conor will most likely win

Yeah, 170 is asking a lot from Conor's power. It was decent against Nate but predictably faded as the fight went on. Like Nate, cowboy is hard to put away with head shots. The body has always been his weakness and I expect Conor will exploit it.

That's not to say I don't think Cerrone has a chance. Like Cerrone, the book on beating McGregor has been written and it's on the ground. Cerrone previously said he 100% would take Conor down if they fought, yet the entire lead up to this fight he had talked only of striking with him. If he mixes in takedown attempts and or clinch work with his strikes he has a good chance of taking the fight to the later stages where he should have a big advantage.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The Diaz McGregor 2 fight is on YouTube as a free fight from the UFC, I tell you what I'd never actually sat an watched it again but * was that a hard fight to score. First round was Connors easily possibly even a 10-8, then Connor wins the first 3 mins of the second round but Diaz lights him up to finish the round. Then Connors power is completely gone from then on but Diaz being Diaz has a face like a bloke who head butted a window. If I was cowboy I would be doing whatever I could to make sure it sees a round 3 as Connors hands seriously drop away by then

I don't like this fight.

McGregor has 2-3 minutes if that to get it done before he gets head kicked. One of the reasons why I always enjoy watch Cowboy's fights is because of his kicks.....he knows when to pull the trigger and more often than not lands on smaller opponents.

I'm amazed how much of a betting favourite McGregor is too. I suspect that'll change little bit when people see the 2 face off and you see how much of size difference there is.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I don't like this fight.

McGregor has 2-3 minutes if that to get it done before he gets head kicked. One of the reasons why I always enjoy watch Cowboy's fights is because of his kicks.....he knows when to pull the trigger and more often than not lands on smaller opponents.

I'm amazed how much of a betting favourite McGregor is too. I suspect that'll change little bit when people see the 2 face off and you see how much of size difference there is.

can you please let me know when you put up a price on the fair so I can lay it?

I don't like this fight.

If he chooses to box, I have no doubt that McGregor will win. Even with Cerrone's heigh advantage, I think McGregor actually has a longer reach. He's got ape arms.

He just needs to get the fight to the 3rd round, I think. McGregor's defense is pretty much non existent when he gasses.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If he chooses to box, I have no doubt that McGregor will win. Even with Cerrone's heigh advantage, I think McGregor actually has a longer reach. He's got ape arms.

He just needs to get the fight to the 3rd round, I think. McGregor's defense is pretty much non existent when he gasses.
Yeah his hands really drop big time and his head movement really falls away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
The Diaz McGregor 2 fight is on YouTube as a free fight from the UFC, I tell you what I'd never actually sat an watched it again but fu** was that a hard fight to score. First round was Connors easily possibly even a 10-8, then Connor wins the first 3 mins of the second round but Diaz lights him up to finish the round. Then Connors power is completely gone from then on but Diaz being Diaz has a face like a bloke who head butted a window. If I was cowboy I would be doing whatever I could to make sure it sees a round 3 as Connors hands seriously drop away by then

Loved that fight, hope there's a 3rd, one day.

This shot would've had most fighters spark out, it shook him, but he stayed on his feet.

Attachments

• video-1578647664.mp4
    376.3 KB
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
All equations, whoever wins, it's all good stuff.
I must say though, how massive would it be if Conor takes out Cerrone, gets the Jorge fight and takes him out, then goes back to 155 to take on either Khabib or Tony for the belt (hope Tony gets the belt, would be so sick!)? I'd be keen on all that to happen because it would just be ginormous and a hell of a lot of fun.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I must say though, how massive would it be if Conor takes out Cerrone, gets the Jorge fight and takes him out, then goes back to 155 to take on either Khabib or Tony for the belt (hope Tony gets the belt, would be so sick!)? I'd be keen on all that to happen because it would just be ginormous and a hell of a lot of fun.
If he took out Jorge I'd reckon he would want to try and grab the 170 belt to be the first ever 3 weight division champion

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Usman would destroy Conor. He would take him down & that’s it. Way too big & strong for him. I legit give him about a 10% chance of winning that fight

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Usman would destroy Conor. He would take him down & that’s it. Way too big & strong for him. I legit give him about a 10% chance of winning that fight
Does that really matter? I agree with you btw and the way Usman destroyed Woodley in the wrestle is scary for non wrestlers but doesn't mean Connor wouldn't have a crack.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Does that really matter? I agree with you btw and the way Usman destroyed Woodley in the wrestle is scary for non wrestlers but doesn't mean Connor wouldn't have a crack.
I’m just saying cause I think it’s highly likely he goes back to 155 after this. Guys at the top of 170 are just too big for him. But who really knows what Conor will do. Will probably do something stupid & be sidelined for another 12 months

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I’m just saying cause I think it’s highly likely he goes back to 155 after this. Guys at the top of 170 are just too big for him. But who really knows what Conor will do. Will probably do something stupid & be sidelined for another 12 months
I was 100% with you but then I thought about it. If Connor wins then he either stays at 170 or drops to 155. At 155 Khabib and Tony don't fight till April so wouldn't be ready to go again until July or August. Connor wants to be active and what's more lucrative right now? Gaethje or Masvidal? Jorge is currently not booked and that fight screams mega fight. Even if McGregor loses that he can drop to 155 and still be in the mix to challenge for the title there.

I personally don't think McGregor is even interested in chasing titles at this point.

Fight Cerrone, if he wins then go after Masvidal. If he gets past both and looks impressive doing so, the hype train will be well and truly back on him and a Khabib or Ferguson fight will be sensible for everyone involved.

Imagine Cowboy wins and does a Bisping and goes on to grab a belt.

Then rides into the sunset

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What do you lads make of the fact that cowboy signed a seven-fight deal with the UFC?

Cerrone’s deal to fight McGregor also came with a new UFC contract attached. Cerrone, who is already tied for the record for most fights in UFC history at 33, is now linked to the promotion for seven more fights. The bout with McGregor will be his most financially lucrative to date – but it’s not money that’s going to send him off from the sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back