Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What do you lads make of the fact that cowboy signed a seven-fight deal with the UFC?

Cerrone’s deal to fight McGregor also came with a new UFC contract attached. Cerrone, who is already tied for the record for most fights in UFC history at 33, is now linked to the promotion for seven more fights. The bout with McGregor will be his most financially lucrative to date – but it’s not money that’s going to send him off from the sport.

That's a 2 year contract extension for a bloke like him. Not that surprised.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
That's a 2 year contract extension for a bloke like him. Not that surprised.

That would be a 2 week extension if Cerrone had his way.

Not surprising to see him signed for that many fights. Pretty sure Anderson signed for 10 or more fights after he turned 40. It's a way of locking popular fighters to the UFC for life effectively.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Imagine Cowboy wins and does a Bisping and goes on to grab a belt.

Then rides into the sunset

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
I wouldn't mind this. I love Cerrone. I hope he gets one more crack. But he's surrounded by killers.
Anyway, here's a wicked little snippet from his doco...

Dale_Thomas

Senior List
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Very surprised to hear Conor saying that he weighs 160 a week before the fight.

I understand he wants to fight close to his resting weight, but that seems ridiculously small??

He's already a 5ft9 man fighting a 6ft1 man. You don't want to be giving up 20-30lbs on fight night as well.

Maybe this is just smoke and mirrors from Conor? He's certainly looking pretty thick in all the training videos.

I wouldn't mind this. I love Cerrone. I hope he gets one more crack. But he's surrounded by killers.
Anyway, here's a wicked little snippet from his doco...
good trailer

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Very surprised to hear Conor saying that he weighs 160 a week before the fight.

I understand he wants to fight close to his resting weight, but that seems ridiculously small??

He's already a 5ft9 man fighting a 6ft1 man. You don't want to be giving up 20-30lbs on fight night as well.

Maybe this is just smoke and mirrors from Conor? He's certainly looking pretty thick in all the training videos.

Is there a min weight you have to be for a weight class, or just not “over the limit”? Would make sense that you’re over 156 at least I guess for WW but can’t recall that ever being an issue.

Dale_Thomas

Senior List
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is there a min weight you have to be for a weight class, or just not “over the limit”? Would make sense that you’re over 156 at least I guess for WW but can’t recall that ever being an issue.
I don't think it's ever happened, but yes, I believe you have to be over the weight limit of the next class down. If not, the commission may not sanction the fight.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
What do you lads make of the fact that cowboy signed a seven-fight deal with the UFC?

Cerrone’s deal to fight McGregor also came with a new UFC contract attached. Cerrone, who is already tied for the record for most fights in UFC history at 33, is now linked to the promotion for seven more fights. The bout with McGregor will be his most financially lucrative to date – but it’s not money that’s going to send him off from the sport.

I don’t think it means anything, it just means he can’t go to another promotion.

Aparently Conor signs a new deal before most of his fights, as they re negotiate it.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
From some of the training videos looks like McGregors changed his stance a little. Squared up a little more and looks like he's focusing on keeping his hands up. Seems pretty smart because you better believe Cerrone will be throwing those head kicks every opportunity.

A 7 fight deal should take Cerrone to about mid next year. Good on him.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I personally don't think McGregor is even interested in chasing titles at this point.

Fight Cerrone, if he wins then go after Masvidal. If he gets past both and looks impressive doing so, the hype train will be well and truly back on him and a Khabib or Ferguson fight will be sensible for everyone involved.

I don't think Conor gets passed Masvidal. I think the only person runs through Jorge is Khabib. Tony would be a 50/50 fight I'd love to see.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don't see it happening. Love Tony while his bottom game is good I don't see the reversal attempts work on Khabib.
Poirier had Khabib for a little while and Tony's better. Ferguson's creativity will trouble Khabib because he's dangerous as * in and out of the clinch and equally creative on the ground.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Poirier had Khabib for a little while and Tony's better. Ferguson's creativity will trouble Khabib because he's dangerous as fu** in and out of the clinch and equally creative on the ground.

Khabib continually sleeps on guys he doesn't rate though. He didn't bring intensity to any of Poirier, Johnson or Al. Every time he needed to turn it up in those fights he did with ease. I don't think he'll sleep on Tony and wouldn't be surprised to see him drop Tony with an overhand right expecting the take down like he did with Conor.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Khabib continually sleeps on guys he doesn't rate though. He didn't bring intensity to any of Poirier, Johnson or Al. Every time he needed to turn it up in those fights he did with ease. I don't think he'll sleep on Tony and wouldn't be surprised to see him drop Tony with an overhand right expecting the take down like he did with Conor.
I don't think Tony's as worried about getting taken down as Connor was. Don't get me wrong Khabibs a beast but I could see it going any way. This has the potential to be a contender for best fight ever.

I don't think Conor gets passed Masvidal. I think the only person runs through Jorge is Khabib. Tony would be a 50/50 fight I'd love to see.
Masvidal is in a different weight class to Khabib & Ferguson

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Dude i can’t agree with that at all. Khabib is the ultimate professional, he does what he needs to do but you can’t say he sleeps on guys. I think he just gassed in the Al fight personally. Even against Conor he slowed down in the 3rd noticeably. Khabib will at some stage take Tony down and probably keep him there for extended periods, but imo he needs to finish him early. Tony’s cardio is far superior than anybody else in the sport & will just take over the fight after round 3. Most people don’t realise how good his cardio actually is, it’s exhausting to fight him. I’ll be placing some bets on Tony to win in Rd 4/5.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Masvidal will drop down cause Usman and those boys are too big for him.

Masvidal is fine at 170. He won’t drop down. Juice man is just massive for 170. Would be a good fight though. Jorge has the best boxing in the div, if he stuffs the takedowns he can win for sure

Back