MMA-UFC UFC 248: Adesanya vs Romero | 7 March 2020 | Sunday (Australia time)

Remove this Banner Ad

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There are some other fights on the card as well apparently but to be honest I don't really care.

I'll probably care when we get closer to the day, but for now, I just want to talk about the main event.

Romero the outsider at around $3, Adesanya the strong favourite at around $1.40.

I like Romero. If he makes weight he might well walk away with the belt.

I recently rewatched the Adesanya Whittaker fight, I didn't realise how many punches Adesanya took. Strong chin.

Romero surely will try to turn this into a wrestling match. Win by points? Or will the stylebender put him to sleep?

It would make my year if Yoel turned Izzy's lights out.

Unfortunately, I think Izzy will piece him apart. His striking is just too good.

Romero should wrestle, but I doubt he will. He has very rarely used his wrestling the last few years. And Izzy is probably strong enough to stuff any takedown attempts.

Absolutely fascinating match up between two brilliant but different middleweights.

Romero must look to at least threaten the takedown, no certainty he will though. I think stylebenders so good right now and see him doing what no one has done in the ufc yet, finish Yoel.

Couple things I took from the open workout:
Weili has Some serious no joke power, both her & JJ looked amazing
Gotta say I never used to be a fan of JJ but I’ve changed my opinion she’s actually pretty awesome.
yoel looked his usual depleted self.
Izzy is a legend, got 2 young blokes from the crowd to kick Some Thai pads that he held & then offered them both free tickets.
pretty excited for this one tbh.
saw Blaydes too he was lurking around, wanted to get a photo but unfortunately couldn’t get close enough to the front

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's videos floating around of pics of him with staph on his arm - been questioned about it by Ariel Helwani. Didn't deny it, he says he'll win anyway.
Think izzy is somehow still underrated, think he wins this easily, staph or no staph, his time is here, think he can move up a class and defeat jon jones aswell, rate him that highly

I can see one if not two titles changing hands this weekend. I think Joanna has a big edge in striking over Weili if she's smart. Watching her previous fights, Zhang was hit a lot by strikers who don't rush forward on to her power like Andrade did. Torres and Taylor both had reasonable levels of success against her and Joanna is a better, more sophisticated striker than either of them and has a way more reach. I can see this fight resembling the JJ vs Andrade fight with Weili never quite able to pin her down and land the big power shots she needs to in order to win.

The main event I give Romero a real shot too. Neither Yoel or Israel generally like to lead striking exchanges, so I can see this fight being a bit boring with both guys looking for the other to initiate exchanges. Israel, being the better striker on paper will likely try to lead and score points which could walk him in to wrestling range which is where Romero will shine. He also has an iron chin and the one shot power that Izzy doesn't seem to have (sans the Whitaker fight), so any exchanges in punching range will be a challenge for Izzy.

Watched Weili hit pads in the open workout and it's reminded me of how fast & hard she hits.

I am a JJ fan but I think she gets stopped pretty quickly.

Izzy is mad fighting Yoel.
Yep.
watching that live I can tell you Weili has incredible power. I’m talking like Nunes kind of power in the hands. Scary, JJ is more Technical though so should be a really interesting fight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back