MMA-UFC UFC 248: Adesanya vs Romero | 7 March 2020 | Sunday (Australia time)

Dale_Thomas

Senior List
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
What makes me angry, is the disrespect Izzy has shown Whittaker over the last 18 months. Any chance Izzy gets, he discredits Rob’s belts, accuses him of taking unnecessary time off, and belittles his performances against Romero. But then when it came time for Izzy to stand up on the big stage, he performed like a mouse.

Bloody Elbow put it well: “Claiming you do things everyone else is scared to do – such as facing Romero – and then fighting scared makes it even worse.”

Izzy will continue to harp on about the damage he inflicted with leg kicks, but it’s just a smokescreen. He was embarrassed last night. For someone who claims to be the ultimate cerebral fighter / tactician, he looked out of ideas last night. He felt Romero's power and then had absolutely no way of getting inside to land a shot.

But the history books will forever show last night as a W and title defence. Hopefully Costa gives him a better nudge and doesn't just walk forward into a counter hook like Rob, Brunson etc.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What makes me angry, is the disrespect Izzy has shown Whittaker over the last 18 months. Any chance Izzy gets, he discredits Rob’s belts, accuses him of taking unnecessary time off, and belittles his performances against Romero. But then when it came time for Izzy to stand up on the big stage, he performed like a mouse.

Bloody Elbow put it well: “Claiming you do things everyone else is scared to do – such as facing Romero – and then fighting scared makes it even worse.”

Izzy will continue to harp on about the damage he inflicted with leg kicks, but it’s just a smokescreen. He was embarrassed last night. For someone who claims to be the ultimate cerebral fighter / tactician, he looked out of ideas last night. He felt Romero's power and then had absolutely no way of getting inside to land a shot.

But the history books will forever show last night as a W and title defence. Hopefully Costa gives him a better nudge and doesn't just walk forward into a counter hook like Rob, Brunson etc.
Even though I've heard it all from Izzy it really has just hit me just how disrespectful he has been towards Rob. Making it sound like Rob purposely had held up the division when he was champ. Yet Rob had very legit reasons when he had to pull out of fights.

Bring on the Costa fight asap.

Look, Israel is a great fighter, he fought the fight he needed to, but to talk about 'retiring' and ending Romero, perhaps he should ease up on the trash talking. He was the first one interviewed and immediately got on the defensive.

Joanna who's been a bit of a campaigner recently, who had legitimate rights to be disappointed with not winning carried herself far better in a loss than Israel did in a win.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Izzy got the job done, course it wasn’t that exciting but that happens sometimes, he needed to be careful, some of those Romero explosions had him in trouble.

And yeah the co main was crazy, fight of the year already you’d think, they both brought it that’s for sure, the pub was going off!

And the finish to the Dariush fight was unbelievable, got to love MMA for stuff like that.

Yeah, I haven't liked the s**t he's talked about Whittaker before and after the fight. Not a fan at all, especially when Rob's not the sort of bloke to engage in all of that nonsense.

You could tell he was rattled by Romero's approach last night. I think he was expecting all guns blazing, at least in the championship rounds.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Look, Israel is a great fighter, he fought the fight he needed to, but to talk about 'retiring' and ending Romero, perhaps he should ease up on the trash talking. He was the first one interviewed and immediately got on the defensive.

Joanna who's been a bit of a campaigner recently, who had legitimate rights to be disappointed with not winning carried herself far better in a loss than Israel did in a win.
I used to strongly dislike JJ, did a complete 180 after seeing how she was in person, engaging with the fans and what not, she did some really nice stuff behind the scenes. She’s a really cool chick, I think a lot of ppl (myself included) take her confidence the wrong way.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think Adesanya has hurt himself with that fight, to come out and say he wanted to take out the boogeyman and show all the casuals, then proceed to basically run away from said boogeyman.
'I'm not gonna rush in and risk a mistake and risk millions of dollars just to entertain some drunken buffoons in the crowd who've been drinking since 4pm'

I'm warming to Adesanya.

Adesanyas a bit of a dickhead tbh. Spent all build up telling everyone they don't know s**t about the sport and he would destroy Romero and then set about proving everyone right

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I believed that Romero won the fight. Garbage fight. And contrary to what the commentators said I think Mirigliota had every right to urge the fighters on.

Putrid stuff.

Back