MMA-UFC UFC 257

Who wins?

• Poirier

• McGregor

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually 3 wins in 5 years 6 in 6.

More importantly his losses have been to Khabib and Poirier the last 2. That doesn't make him sh*t.
I didn't say he was s**t. He has had 1 win in 4 years to a guy well past his prime though.

Whichever way you look at it he clearly isn't the same fighter he used to be and there's really nothing on offer for him now other than trilogy fights with Diaz and Poirier. He should give it away after that, he isn't up to it anymore.

I didn't say he was sh*t. He has had 1 win in 4 years to a guy well past his prime though.

Whichever way you look at it he clearly isn't the same fighter he used to be and there's really nothing on offer for him now other than trilogy fights with Diaz and Poirier. He should give it away after that, he isn't up to it anymore.
I wouldnt write him off just yet.

If he gets the Diaz trilogy and wins it hes probably one fight off a title shot again (argue the validity of that all you like but hes Conor and if he wants it hell get it).

If Poirer, Chandler or Olivera have the title thats a big fight (especially Poirer). He could still fight for the 155 strap before the end of the year and he could also very easily win it.

I didn't say he was sh*t. He has had 1 win in 4 years to a guy well past his prime though.

That's just a casual and stupid thing to say.

I wouldnt write him off just yet.

If he gets the Diaz trilogy and wins it hes probably one fight off a title shot again (argue the validity of that all you like but hes Conor and if he wants it hell get it).

If Poirer, Chandler or Olivera have the title thats a big fight (especially Poirer). He could still fight for the 155 strap before the end of the year and he could also very easily win it.
I can't see him beating either Diaz or Poirier right now though.

God there is some sh*t written by journalists after a fighter loses

I am no McGregor fan boy but geez reading this tripe is embarrassing. Regardless of his ko yesterday his resume and accomplishments stack up against almost anyone who has been in the UFC. Is he the GOAT? No but he is defiantly in the top echelon of fighters
Read this and thought the exact same thing, almost makes me never ever wanna see the UFC go full main stream because you get dickhead like this. Way too much of an over reaction. When you fight Dustin Poirier and Khabib you can lose, that's life.
He still absolutely dominates 95% of the division.

Mate seriously did you just start watching last week?
Diaz also has 1 win in 4 years 🤣

McGregor looked ok first round and won it against Poirier, he fell to leg kicks and looked a little sloppier than he had previously but * me that doesn't equal retirement.

What have you seen from Diaz since Conor beat him to suggest he would win?

I wouldnt favour him in a rematch v Dustin either but he was mm's from sleeping Dustin, he learns to check leg kicks and thats a whole other fight.

I get your point but you are calling his career far too early in my opinion.

what has Diaz done to give you so much confidence in him?

3 fights in 4 years for 1 win

Read this and thought the exact same thing, almost makes me never ever wanna see the UFC go full main stream because you get dickhead like this. Way too much of an over reaction. When you fight Dustin Poirier and Khabib you can lose, that's life.
He still absolutely dominates 95% of the division.
At the upper echelon of the sport every fight is a risk. No one in the top 10-15 of any division is a mug and on their day theyll beat anyone.

Serra v GSP anyone?

pls stop

Mate seriously did you just start watching last week?
Diaz also has 1 win in 4 years 🤣

McGregor looked ok first round and won it against Poirier, he fell to leg kicks and looked a little sloppier than he had previously but fu** me that doesn't equal retirement.
I didn't say the loss to Poirier should equal retirement. I want him to fight a couple more times and have mentioned this a few times already but there's nothing left in the game for him anymore and with performances like yesterday he won't be getting another title shot anytime soon either.

What have you seen from Diaz since Conor beat him to suggest he would win?

I wouldnt favour him in a rematch v Dustin either but he was mm's from sleeping Dustin, he learns to check leg kicks and thats a whole other fight.

I get your point but you are calling his career far too early in my opinion.
what has Diaz done to give you so much confidence in him?

3 fights in 4 years for 1 win
He got caught flush a few times and should've had him in the clinch more, especially during Poirier's flurry at the end of the fight as he (Conor) was beating him pretty comfortably in those situations. I was shocked by the result, I thought Conor would win comfortably and from what he said about his preparation we were going to see the best version of him but obviously he isn't the same fighter. I thought he underestimated Poirier. I think he has regressed for many reasons but other than a win against Cerrone past his prime, he hasn't had a win since 2016, he has spent too long out, and whilst he is still a great fighter, performances like yesterday just move him further from a title shot. You'd think he would need to win his next two fights to have a shot at the title.

I don't think he needs to prove anything else to anyone so because of that I reckon do a couple more fights that everyone has wanted to see and then give it away. He was an extremely active fighter up until the Mayweather fight. Possibly that kind of money changed him/his motivation to compete because we haven't seen much of him since. As for Diaz just think they match up well together, not saying he will demolish Conor if that's what you think, I think it'll be a close fight obviously and could go either way - just would tip Diaz.

I'm guessing old mate said Poirier and Diaz are his only fight options because they are the only fights he's ever seen.
What is with the animosity? Because I have a different opinion to you? Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say the loss to Poirier should equal retirement. I want him to fight a couple more times and have mentioned this a few times already but there's nothing left in the game for him anymore and with performances like yesterday he won't be getting another title shot anytime soon either.

He got caught flush a few times and should've had him in the clinch more, especially during Poirier's flurry at the end of the fight as he (Conor) was beating him pretty comfortably in those situations. I was shocked by the result, I thought Conor would win comfortably and from what he said about his preparation we were going to see the best version of him but obviously he isn't the same fighter. I thought he underestimated Poirier. I think he has regressed for many reasons but other than a win against Cerrone past his prime, he hasn't had a win since 2016, he has spent too long out, and whilst he is still a great fighter, performances like yesterday just move him further from a title shot. You'd think he would need to win his next two fights to have a shot at the title.

I don't think he needs to prove anything else to anyone so because of that I reckon do a couple more fights that everyone has wanted to see and then give it away. He was an extremely active fighter up until the Mayweather fight. Possibly that kind of money changed him/his motivation to compete because we haven't seen much of him since. As for Diaz just think they match up well together, not saying he will demolish Conor if that's what you think, I think it'll be a close fight obviously and could go either way - just would tip Diaz.

What is with the animosity? Because I have a different opinion to you? Lol
It's not animosity, it just shows a real naivity to high level MMA to go from thinking he would win to saying his careers basically over after 1 fight.

If Conor wins his next fight by first round KO he probably gets a title shot.

I think his performance yesterday still likely beats Diaz but thats a moot point. If he keeps losing then yeh hes going to become irrelevant but he lost (after winning a round) against probably the best lightweight on the planet. Saying hes done other than big money fights is just an overreaction i think.

As a few have said hes literally two (possibly one) win away from another title shot.

You think Conor should have clinched more? I think Dustin game planned perfectly and executed perfectly and he STILL lost a round and nearly got KO'd in the first, thats the margin at this level. Its not inches its millimetres.

Good night of fights, very entertaining. I thought Conor was looking good (up until he got knocked out ha ha), props to Poirier. I guess now you'd think Poirier v Chandler should happen and maybe McGregor v Dan Hooker? The Diaz brothers might come into the mix though from what I saw on Twitter yesterday.

Oh and * punting on MMA, absolute mug's game, I follow the sport a fair bit and have no idea how to win money ha ha

It's not animosity, it just shows a real naivity to high level MMA to go from thinking he would win to saying his careers basically over after 1 fight.

Yeah well I'd tend to agree, a big dominating win helps the elite guys skip a fight, I think another example might be Holloway's win last week, it was a decision win but he absolutely dominated.

I actually think this loss means Conor has MORE to prove. There is still a school of thought that he got handed his opponents who were the best stylistic matches for him (or were coming off the couch Chad Mendes).

Articles like the one posted here today are wrong but there is a truth in saying Conors legacy is tarnished a bit here. But if he comes back and takes another title run, that is impressive and undeniable.

Hes a hall of famer and one of the top 5ish smaller weight class guys in the UFCs history but he could be a top 5 all time if he does it again, does that motivate him? We will see.

Well you would be right if that is what I said. I didn't say his career is over. Again, I reckon he should fight a few more times this year. I can't see him getting another title shot with the form he is in so I can't see there being much left for him to fight for if he doesn't get a shot at it within the next couple of fights.

I think his performance yesterday still likely beats Diaz but thats a moot point. If he keeps losing then yeh hes going to become irrelevant but he lost (after winning a round) against probably the best lightweight on the planet. Saying hes done other than big money fights is just an overreaction i think.

As a few have said hes literally two (possibly one) win away from another title shot.

You think Conor should have clinched more? I think Dustin game planned perfectly and executed perfectly and he STILL lost a round and nearly got KO'd in the first, thats the margin at this level. Its not inches its millimetres.
Conor should've won the fight yesterday. He looked in incredible shape and far stronger (so it seemed) than Poirier. It's a big moment in McGregor's career. First time he has been KO'd so I'm interested to see how he recovers from the defeat, although I feel like there's other fighters who deserve a title shot over him at this point especially given his absence from the sport for extended periods. This doesn't really work in his favour, turning 33 this year and in poor form. I want him to turn it around and become champion again, it would be incredible. I just can't see it.

Well you would be right if that is what I said. I didn't say his career is over. Again, I reckon he should fight a few more times this year. I can't see him getting another title shot with the form he is in so I can't see there being much left for him to fight for if he doesn't get a shot at it within the next couple of fights.

Conor should've won the fight yesterday. He looked in incredible shape and far stronger (so it seemed) than Poirier. It's a big moment in McGregor's career. First time he has been KO'd so I'm interested to see how he recovers from the defeat, although I feel like there's other fighters who deserve a title shot over him at this point especially given his absence from the sport for extended periods. This doesn't really work in his favour, turning 33 this year and in poor form. I want him to turn it around and become champion again, it would be incredible. I just can't see it.

It's things like this im calling out brotha
Anyone who watches this sport would have know Poirier is a mother *er for anyone and that this isn't a fight Conor should just 'win' because he looked strong.

I dont agree with the first bit. To me in combat sport there is no "should" or "shouldnt" unless youre robbed of a decision, he got KOd there is no more definitive outcome. Also Dustin is the bigger, stronger guy, hence he wanted to clinch. Conor is a range striker he doesnt need to be big and strong and we know that appearances can be deceiving, Jones isnt the strongest looking guy but everyone he fights him says hes just insanely strong.

On the deserve thing, i completely agree, he doesnt deserve a title shot and he should have to win a few times, decisively to get it but that doesnt really matter in this sport. Conor is still the biggest draw. I honestly think the plan would be Diaz or a tune up against someone else he should beat in the top 10 then eother a title eliminator or a title shot. In the end its about buys and Conor has the buy rate record.

Also 33 is young, especially given how little damage he has taken in his career. Hes got 6-7 more years if he wants it.

Haha what.
He got dropped by Diaz at 170, Khabib dropped him but it was hardly a soft chin ko. Just a bloody nice punch and McGregor still defended immediately.
One of the greatest of all time boxers manages to punch him? Wow, what evidence...

I mean seriously, I'm not a Conor fan boy but that's just stupid, he dipped his head into an uppercut which is what dropped him, pretty sure most people who take that shot go down especially the way it was fired from Poirier. Connected flush as fu**.

Volkanovski has been dropped against Holloway and Mendes, should he retire due to his weak chin?
Conor is getting hit now, he never did before at 145 besides maybe the Holloway fight. Now he's getting hit regularly in comparison against guys at 155, something he's got to work on, facts are there but it's a dangerous game and Conor only fights top level guys so the risks of him getting dropped or rocked are high.

I don't doubt Conor can come back from yesterday, he in the past has responded well from losing, but he needs to evolve his game. The game in the time Conor has been inactive has evolved, and Conor hasn't evolved with it. That's obvious, but if he was on it yesterday he should've finished Poirier when he rocked him.

All credit to Poirier who deserved his moment, and is a hell of a fighter. Seems to me we'll get Conor/Dustin 3 before anything else with what Conor and Dustin said post fight.

Back