MMA-UFC UFC 257

Who wins?

• Poirier

• McGregor

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Conor is getting hit now, he never did before at 145 besides maybe the Holloway fight. Now he's getting hit regularly in comparison against guys at 155, something he's got to work on, facts are there but it's a dangerous game and Conor only fights top level guys so the risks of him getting dropped or rocked are high.

I don't doubt Conor can come back from yesterday, he in the past has responded well from losing, but he needs to evolve his game. The game in the time Conor has been inactive has evolved, and Conor hasn't evolved with it. That's obvious, but if he was on it yesterday he should've finished Poirier when he rocked him.

All credit to Poirier who deserved his moment, and is a hell of a fighter. Seems to me we'll get Conor/Dustin 3 before anything else with what Conor and Dustin said post fight.

He's not getting hit 'regularly' at 155.. he's had 3 155 pound fights. Smashed Alvarez for the title, lost to Khabib and Poirier. Khabib didn't exactly beat him up on the feet and he outlander Poirier in the first round.

Would be this insane over reaction if Poirier had lost? Not even close. People would just say he fights Olivera or Ferguson next etc and moved on. Just because people thought Conor was a god before, you don't have to completely write him off afterwards. Watching anyone with Conors profile get KOd is nuts, getting it from Poirier is about as normal as this sport gets.

I actually think this loss means Conor has MORE to prove. There is still a school of thought that he got handed his opponents who were the best stylistic matches for him (or were coming off the couch Chad Mendes).

Articles like the one posted here today are wrong but there is a truth in saying Conors legacy is tarnished a bit here. But if he comes back and takes another title run, that is impressive and undeniable.

Hes a hall of famer and one of the top 5ish smaller weight class guys in the UFCs history but he could be a top 5 all time if he does it again, does that motivate him? We will see.
I agree with you but who knows what's going on in his head. I'm not saying the money changed him or he isn't as motivated anymore because of it (nobody really knows), but maybe that actually is the case.

It's things like this im calling out brotha
Anyone who watches this sport would have know Poirier is a mother f***er for anyone and that this isn't a fight Conor should just 'win' because he looked strong.
Again you misread/misinterpret what I say.

I didn't say he was going to win because he looked strong. All I meant by what I said is that he was in incredible shape and gave me more reason to believe he was going to win, along with a dozen other reasons.

He's not getting hit 'regularly' at 155.. he's had 3 155 pound fights. Smashed Alvarez for the title, lost to Khabib and Poirier. Khabib didn't exactly beat him up on the feet and he outlander Poirier in the first round.

Would be this insane over reaction if Poirier had lost? Not even close. People would just say he fights Olivera or Ferguson next etc and moved on. Just because people thought Conor was a god before, you don't have to completely write him off afterwards. Watching anyone with Conors profile get KOd is nuts, getting it from Poirier is about as normal as this sport gets.
Watching Conor get KO'd is the beauty of the sport, as I said yesterday to another poster.

It doesn't matter the reputation of the guys in the Octagon, once the door is locked anything can happen, hence why we are all fans.

I think Conor has always been pretty hittable. Mendes landed some clean shots against him as did Khabib and Diaz.

Even when he KOd Aldo he took a shot to land a shot.

He has a chin and has good head movement (most mma fighters don’t) but he’s never been prime Anderson Silva untouchable.

I think Conor has always been pretty hittable. Mendes landed some clean shots against him as did Khabib and Diaz.

Even when he KOd Aldo he took a shot to land a shot.

He has a chin and has good head movement (most mma fighters don’t) but he’s never been prime Anderson Silva untouchable.

Yeah but he's not getting hit enough to he worrying is my point. In fact Poirier really didn't get anything until he kicked his calf off.

Yeah but he's not getting hit enough to he worrying is my point. In fact Poirier really didn't get anything until he kicked his calf off.
No I agree with you, there’s no concern over his chin. I’m more saying it’s not like he’s never been hittable and this is some regression, he’s always eaten one to land one.

He still has plenty of kms in the tank, only issue is whether he wants to put in the hard yards and work on a areas of his game to not fall behind the pack.

God there is some sh*t written by journalists after a fighter loses

I am no McGregor fan boy but geez reading this tripe is embarrassing. Regardless of his ko yesterday his resume and accomplishments stack up against almost anyone who has been in the UFC. Is he the GOAT? No but he is defiantly in the top echelon of fighters

Have to shake your head, par for the course with news.com.au/Newscorp though.

He still has plenty of kms in the tank, only issue is whether he wants to put in the hard yards and work on a areas of his game to not fall behind the pack

Yea I think this is what people (like myself) are wondering. Does he have the will and desire to work on his game and prepare harder and better? And to stay out of trouble. I hope so but unsure.

I must admit I prefer a winning McGregor over a losing McGregor.
A winning McGregor is better and a lot more exciting for the sport.
I hope he gets back in the octagon in a few months and gets a win. Who does he fight though? Perhaps Tony, or just go and box Jake Paul..would be highly entertaining if nothing else. Also Diaz 3 is a lot more appealing to me now.

Last edited:
That's got nothing to do with anything. I say Hooker was way too worried about the takedown and didn't keep his hands up.
If Chandler can finish top guys with his hands and then wrestle as well. Problem for everyone
Just an observation bud nothing to do with anything right
Chandler looked to have the blood pumping through his body looked to have a couple of hard rounds sweat up good practice for a pro
McGregor needs to cut the spin whip kicks out low percentage and taxing on his limited cardio ide cut all head kicks out if I was him
Concentrate on leg kicks and calf kicks
I thought the knock out came from having no stability on his right leg to evade
Dustin wasn’t just punching straight but hooking into areas Conner was weaving into smart and planned or instinctual I don’t know
Conner might need to shorten his stance especially if he fights Gaethje a weakness has been exposed and will be exploited in future fights
The calf kick looks to be a tricky kick to check the best option seems to be to lift the leg to let fly through but conners stance is heavy on the front foot so I think two foot slide back might work for him
I’m not righting Conner out but I do think it was unprofessional to get sunburnt before a fight pretty bloody stupid actually

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still shocked.

I was shitting bricks prior to the Cerrone fight but felt confident in McGregor getting it done within 3 rounds against Poirier.

Take downs, fence clinching and now calf kicks is something McGregor is gonna have to deal with moving forward.....particularly early in fights. I have no doubt he can make the adjustments against whoever he fights next. Iaquinta or Gaethje is who McGregor should be aiming for the next fight.

I don't buy the ring rust argument that some have mentioned. If the shoe was on the other foot there be zero mention of ring rust. Plus McGregor had a long lay off prior to his fight with Cerrone and he looked good.

Poirier had a plan and executed it.

He's in for a big year now which is good.

Big up Chandler...had a inkling he'd get a finish. I don't know how much but that victory gives Bellator just that little bit more credibility.

Feel incredibly sorry for Hooker though.....guy gets finished then has to stay in Abu Dhabi for 3 extra weeks, fly home and then start the 2 weeks of quarantine. All because NZ hotel quarantine set up is ****ed.

lol at those who voted for Poirier after the fact.

Just an observation bud nothing to do with anything right
Chandler looked to have the blood pumping through his body looked to have a couple of hard rounds sweat up good practice for a pro
McGregor needs to cut the spin whip kicks out low percentage and taxing on his limited cardio ide cut all head kicks out if I was him
Concentrate on leg kicks and calf kicks
I thought the knock out came from having no stability on his right leg to evade
Dustin wasn’t just punching straight but hooking into areas Conner was weaving into smart and planned or instinctual I don’t know
Conner might need to shorten his stance especially if he fights Gaethje a weakness has been exposed and will be exploited in future fights
The calf kick looks to be a tricky kick to check the best option seems to be to lift the leg to let fly through but conners stance is heavy on the front foot so I think two foot slide back might work for him
I’m not righting Conner out but I do think it was unprofessional to get sunburnt before a fight pretty bloody stupid actually

Again, the little pre fight workout had no bearing on the fight. Both are experienced fighters who have the routines that work for them. How does Izzy Adesanya win any fights? Comes from the same gym with the same low energy warm up.

Cutting all head kicks out is stupid, it's called a spinning hook kick, plus his head kick just finished Cerrone last fight. It's a great weapon especially for someone who wants to fight at distance.

Lifting the leg isn't how you check them, you either turn your leg further out which was his problem or counter them over the top.

CONORS whole career was built on a wider stance than that, that's the narrowest stance he's used in the UFC, if anything he didn't have enough movement and was stuck to heavy in a boxing style stance

Again, the little pre fight workout had no bearing on the fight. Both are experienced fighters who have the routines that work for them. How does Izzy Adesanya win any fights? Comes from the same gym with the same low energy warm up.

Cutting all head kicks out is stupid, it's called a spinning hook kick, plus his head kick just finished Cerrone last fight. It's a great weapon especially for someone who wants to fight at distance.

Lifting the leg isn't how you check them, you either turn your leg further out which was his problem or counter them over the top.

CONORS whole career was built on a wider stance than that, that's the narrowest stance he's used in the UFC, if anything he didn't have enough movement and was stuck to heavy in a boxing style stance
You call it spin hook I call it spinwhip because you make statement doesn’t make it right name one fight McGregor has landed one actually name any fighter in the ufc other than Pettit who has landed one
His back kick is a much better weapon
You don’t need to check a kick to avoid a kick you can slide back and lift the leg or just lift the leg and let it move with the kick
You seem very inflexible in you’re thoughts stuck like concrete in a rut
Lighten up it’s not stupid to cut out head kicks just a point of view the higher the caliber fighter you face the harder they are to land and leave you vulnerable to takedowns plus they take a lot of energy
Maybe he should just be more selective but I think his teep kick is more efficient stops his opponents rhythm and keeps him in punching range
Maybe the pre fight routine had no influence but maybe if Hooker had a sweat blood pumping through his brain and some fire he would have seen an opening to cut the the space and counter as Chandler came in instead waiting to work his way into the fight regardless I think Chandler wins
Look you do raise good points but are some what dismissive of others which makes come across as arrogant to me
Personally I’d like to see a Conner vs Max Holloway next would be a great fight as Conner says styles make fights

You call it spin hook I call it spinwhip because you make statement doesn’t make it right name one fight McGregor has landed one actually name any fighter in the ufc other than Pettit who has landed one
His back kick is a much better weapon
You don’t need to check a kick to avoid a kick you can slide back and lift the leg or just lift the leg and let it move with the kick
You seem very inflexible in you’re thoughts stuck like concrete in a rut
Lighten up it’s not stupid to cut out head kicks just a point of view the higher the caliber fighter you face the harder they are to land and leave you vulnerable to takedowns plus they take a lot of energy
Maybe he should just be more selective but I think his teep kick is more efficient stops his opponents rhythm and keeps him in punching range
Maybe the pre fight routine had no influence but maybe if Hooker had a sweat blood pumping through his brain and some fire he would have seen an opening to cut the the space and counter as Chandler came in instead waiting to work his way into the fight regardless I think Chandler wins
Look you do raise good points but are some what dismissive of others which makes come across as arrogant to me
Personally I’d like to see a Conner vs Max Holloway next would be a great fight as Conner says styles make fights

Jesus bro. Being inflexible is saying name one other spinning kick that's landed 😅 they land all the ******* time homey.

most of what you said sounds a bit like dribble

By the way my master would kick you’re masters arse 😀

Jesus bro. Being inflexible is saying name one other spinning kick that's landed 😅 they land all the ******* time homey.

The fact you haven’t heard of a spin whip shows you’re ignorance in kicking terminology
Again show me the time Conner has landed it he doesn’t throw it properly
The kicks you highlighted some are lucky some have great technique the idea is torque your body first then whip the leg through with you’re hip Conners leg is thrown to early
The kick is best used as a counter to a round house
A hook is probably the least effective kick ever devised no power Conner threw one in his first fight against Poirer
To me you’re inability to explore others thoughts shows a lot of immaturity on you’re behalf

The fact you haven’t heard of a spin whip shows you’re ignorance in kicking terminology
Again show me the time Conner has landed it he doesn’t throw it properly
The kicks you highlighted some are lucky some have great technique the idea is torque your body first then whip the leg through with you’re hip Conners leg is thrown to early
The kick is best used as a counter to a round house
A hook is probably the least effective kick ever devised no power Conner threw one in his first fight against Poirer
To me you’re inability to explore others thoughts shows a lot of immaturity on you’re behalf
You're not even spelling either name properly, give it a rest mate. What you've done a couple Taekwondo lessons and think you know better than John Kavanagh and his team? More than city kickboxing?

If you can’t comprehend the fact that a spin whip against evenly matched fighters is extremely hard to land and a leg kick is in comparison is easy to land and one takes a lot more energy to execute just stop responding to my posts and go sit in you’re bubble of righteousness

If you can’t comprehend the fact that a spin whip against evenly matched fighters is extremely hard to land and a leg kick is in comparison is easy to land and one takes a lot more energy to execute just stop responding to my posts and go sit in you’re bubble of righteousness
You said he should cut 'all head kicks' out
Now you've narrowed it to some specific style of kick for * knows what reason.
Give it a rest.

You're not even spelling either name properly, give it a rest mate. What you've done a couple Taekwondo lessons and think you know better than John Kavanagh and his team? More than city kickboxing?
I’ve scored knockouts with spin whips jump spin whips where you throw a round house first so they drop a hand to block then jump to a 540 kick I’ve scored knockouts with back kicks I’ve trained with Olympic medalists at the highest level I’ve forgotten more about kicking than you will ever know
I’ve trained many striking arts a little judo been watching UFC since the renting out at video store days non of this makes me right I just have opinions I come onto forums to share ideas not get into pissing contests on whether a spin hook is a spin wheel or a spin whip
Like I said you obviously have knowledge it’s the delivery that needs work try I don’t agree because or I can see you’re point but instead of that’s stupid because you disagree and that’s dribble because you don’t understand
I agree Conner should keep his head high roundhouse kick in his arsenal it is a good kick
I think Izzy has subtle feints and sets up great head kicks spin hook kick included he his on another level to the guys at city kickboxing so loose and flowing maybe that’s the idea in a light warm up contracted tense muscles react slower than already contracted ones maybe both methods have pros and cons
But I do think discussion draws out more ideas rather than a blanket you’re wrong I’m right😉

I’ve scored knockouts with spin whips jump spin whips where you throw a round house first so they drop a hand to block then jump to a 540 kick I’ve scored knockouts with back kicks I’ve trained with Olympic medalists at the highest level I’ve forgotten more about kicking than you will ever know
I’ve trained many striking arts a little judo been watching UFC since the renting out at video store days non of this makes me right I just have opinions I come onto forums to share ideas not get into pissing contests on whether a spin hook is a spin wheel or a spin whip
Like I said you obviously have knowledge it’s the delivery that needs work try I don’t agree because or I can see you’re point but instead of that’s stupid because you disagree and that’s dribble because you don’t understand
I agree Conner should keep his head high roundhouse kick in his arsenal it is a good kick
I think Izzy has subtle feints and sets up great head kicks spin hook kick included he his on another level to the guys at city kickboxing so loose and flowing maybe that’s the idea in a light warm up contracted tense muscles react slower than already contracted ones maybe both methods have pros and cons
But I do think discussion draws out more ideas rather than a blanket you’re wrong I’m right😉
Fair enough mate, just thought it was a strange argument to tell Conor to put away his kicks when it's never been a huge part of his arsenal anyway. Been a good one for him to cover distance because of his wide in an out stance but he ha mostly used it like his teep kick to move his opponent into the space for his left. The lifting of the leg makes it hard to counter then, the check means he can come back with a counter hook. Didn't really do either though, checked poorly and didn't counter much.

The hooker one though if you wanna see why whipping yourself into a frenzy before a fight doesn't always work, look to Aldo vs McGregor.

Fair enough mate, just thought it was a strange argument to tell Conor to put away his kicks when it's never been a huge part of his arsenal anyway. Been a good one for him to cover distance because of his wide in an out stance but he ha mostly used it like his teep kick to move his opponent into the space for his left. The lifting of the leg makes it hard to counter then, the check means he can come back with a counter hook. Didn't really do either though, checked poorly and didn't counter much.

The hooker one though if you wanna see why whipping yourself into a frenzy before a fight doesn't always work, look to Aldo vs McGregor.
If he doesn’t fight another southpaw not sure he has lot to worry about .
With the calf kick some fighters can switch but turning the shin out should be sufficient to counter them
I would like him to use his front kick as it’s one of his better kicks
I really respected Conners change of style to go leg kick heavy on Diaz his team know what there doing
If Conner can cut the bs out of his life adjust to the evolution of mma I still think he can win the title

Last edited:
Back