MMA-UFC UFC 257

Who wins?

• Poirier

• McGregor

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah I’m happy for Dustin payday wise . But this belt should be around his waist after the weekend fight as Kabib retired . Although it should have been next in line and not Connor . Even after one fight in ( and what a performance) Chandler was talking about the right matchup. Granted he did call everybody out . The right matchup. 🧐

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
There would have still been a few guys at middleweight ahead of GSP (or Hendo who he also fought).

The main point is dont be mad at Dustin for wanting a money fight, the guy has earned it.

I don't think we should be mad at any fighter for wanting a money fight, they're prize fighters at the end of the day.

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
Again, the little pre fight workout had no bearing on the fight. Both are experienced fighters who have the routines that work for them. How does Izzy Adesanya win any fights? Comes from the same gym with the same low energy warm up.

Cutting all head kicks out is stupid, it's called a spinning hook kick, plus his head kick just finished Cerrone last fight. It's a great weapon especially for someone who wants to fight at distance.

Lifting the leg isn't how you check them, you either turn your leg further out which was his problem or counter them over the top.

CONORS whole career was built on a wider stance than that, that's the narrowest stance he's used in the UFC, if anything he didn't have enough movement and was stuck to heavy in a boxing style stance
Interesting GSP commented on how to counter the leg kick
Said Conner can either shorten his stance or his preferred method a blitz
Essentially what you’re saying straight left for Conner

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Dustin is fighting Conor again next. That's where all the talk is pointing, maybe Diaz but he's irrelevant at 155, and at this point he's becoming irrelevant besides the odd tweet here and there. Diaz got mauled by Masvidal in his last fight so how he gets himself a Poirier fight is beyond me, but it is Dana & the UFC we are talking about and he and they are erratic at best.

Even the Conor rematch shouldn't happen straight away if there's a title involved, but I can see it going that way, with the money Dustin can make fighting Conor over anyone else.

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Dustin is fighting Conor again next. That's where all the talk is pointing, maybe Diaz but he's irrelevant at 155, and at this point he's becoming irrelevant besides the odd tweet here and there. Diaz got mauled by Masvidal in his last fight so how he gets himself a Poirier fight is beyond me, but it is Dana & the UFC we are talking about and he and they are erratic at best.

Even the Conor rematch shouldn't happen straight away if there's a title involved, but I can see it going that way, with the money Dustin can make fighting Conor over anyone else.
Looks like Conner and Kavanagh are pushing for it
You can see the appeal for JP
If the last fight wasn’t for the title UFC will have some spinning to do
Jp mentioned ct island I wonder how many more fights he has planned

I don't think phantom13 's point is about fighters with good vs bad records fighting for the belt, it's ignoring the existing rankings in the division for title fights and choosing money over the integrity of the rankings.

On that basis alone, GSP shouldn't have fought for the Middleweight title. Never fought in the division, was unlikely he was going to hang around and ended up dropping the belt.

Same way Conor, DC, Izzy shouldn't have fought for titles next division up.

Granted Conor and DC (and DC actually defended his HW title and relinquished the LHW title) had success in the respective divisions elsewhere, this hard on for double champs or multi division champions by the UFC is just another thing in a long list of decisions in choosing money over legitimacy.

Diaz shouldn't get a shot, but not going to lose sleep over it. Considering MMA fighters get SFA, don't blame them. Blame the company.

The fact that UFC were so wedded to Conor vs Khabib shows that. I'm surprised they didn't make Dustin vs Conor an interim title fight, they've done it before on less.

Stop putting all your eggs in one basket and build up more of your roster.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think phantom13 's point is about fighters with good vs bad records fighting for the belt, it's ignoring the existing rankings in the division for title fights and choosing money over the integrity of the rankings.

On that basis alone, GSP shouldn't have fought for the Middleweight title. Never fought in the division, was unlikely he was going to hang around and ended up dropping the belt.

Same way Conor, DC, Izzy shouldn't have fought for titles next division up.

Granted Conor and DC (and DC actually defended his HW title and relinquished the LHW title) had success in the respective divisions elsewhere, this hard on for double champs or multi division champions by the UFC is just another thing in a long list of decisions in choosing money over legitimacy.

Diaz shouldn't get a shot, but not going to lose sleep over it. Considering MMA fighters get SFA, don't blame them. Blame the company.

The fact that UFC were so wedded to Conor vs Khabib shows that. I'm surprised they didn't make Dustin vs Conor an interim title fight, they've done it before on less.

Stop putting all your eggs in one basket and build up more of your roster.

You make some good points here. Generally i think if Conor's career has proven anything it's that belts, weight divisions and rankings don't matter, it's the match up. Conor's big fights against Diaz weren't for a belt, in a weight division two up from where he was and I have no idea if they even bothered to try and figure out the rankings to make sense.

As for your last point i think with the UFC the brand is generally bigger than any fighter, so if they can't come to terms with someone (like Conor last year) they'll forget it and go another way. With Conor it's been a huge thing allowing Proper 12 to be advertised I'd imagine, but for things like a co promotion with M1 back in the day no chance and there still wouldn't be.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Could likely happen. It's win next fight, or retire from MMA for Conor.

People underestimated how good Poirier is. Lost to McGregor and Khabib. Just avenged the McGregor loss but I wish we got to see a rematch against Khabib.
I don't think too many people sleep on Poirier.
I agree though that the fight could happen. The div is in a weird spot atm.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The UFC will make the title fight between whoever brings in the most shekels.

That's the business.

I don't really care which of the top 10 are given the opportunity. I would tune in for literally any combination.

My preferences, in order, would be:

Dustin vs Justin

Dustin vs Conor

Dustin vs Chandler

Dustin vs any other top 10

Justin vs Chandler

Like I said, it doesn't really matter to me, though.

Easily the most entertaining and interesting division in the promotion.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
You make some good points here. Generally i think if Conor's career has proven anything it's that belts, weight divisions and rankings don't matter, it's the match up. Conor's big fights against Diaz weren't for a belt, in a weight division two up from where he was and I have no idea if they even bothered to try and figure out the rankings to make sense.

As for your last point i think with the UFC the brand is generally bigger than any fighter, so if they can't come to terms with someone (like Conor last year) they'll forget it and go another way. With Conor it's been a huge thing allowing Proper 12 to be advertised I'd imagine, but for things like a co promotion with M1 back in the day no chance and there still wouldn't be.
I think the UFC has built itself on a handful of stars. It’s sort of true in every sport but in the UFCs case they’ve arguably gotten very very lucky of late to have some genuine cross over stars in Ronda and Conor, you could absolutely argue that without those two the sport isn’t nearlt as big as it is today. It’s always been an issue for them as in both Conor and Ronda’s case when they lose or retire the UFC machine has to build someone new up.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think the UFC has built itself on a handful of stars. It’s sort of true in every sport but in the UFCs case they’ve arguably gotten very very lucky of late to have some genuine cross over stars in Ronda and Conor, you could absolutely argue that without those two the sport isn’t nearlt as big as it is today. It’s always been an issue for them as in both Conor and Ronda’s case when they lose or retire the UFC machine has to build someone new up.
Neither have really fought for like 4 years though. I'd say now actually now more than ever the starts don't matter.

Conor and Ronda are maybe once in a lifetime stars, they certainly don't need them now though

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Neither have really fought for like 4 years though. I'd say now actually now more than ever the starts don't matter.

Conor and Ronda are maybe once in a lifetime stars, they certainly don't need them now though
The brand is big enough now yeh, but it was built into what it is on their backs. It will be interesting to see when Conor properly goes, ithink his presence and likely return kept some more casuals around. In any event I still think the ufc will build itself around a handful of stars as opposed to the “product” as such.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The brand is big enough now yeh, but it was built into what it is on their backs. It will be interesting to see when Conor properly goes, ithink his presence and likely return kept some more casuals around. In any event I still think the ufc will build itself around a handful of stars as opposed to the “product” as such.
That's not any different to any other American sport.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's not any different to any other American sport.
Not to the same degree.

Who is the next big star in the UFC when Conor goes.

Who is the next big star in the NFL when Brady retires (Mahomes, Allen, Hill, Thomas, OBJ, Watt etc)

Who is the next big star in the NBA when LeBron retires (Doncic, Young, Booker, Simmons, Giannis etc)

Its probably more sheer volume than anything but the other sports do look to spread that star power, the UFC looks to push one or two people at most.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not to the same degree.

Who is the next big star in the UFC when Conor goes.

Who is the next big star in the NFL when Brady retires (Mahomes, Allen, Hill, Thomas, OBJ, Watt etc)

Who is the next big star in the NBA when LeBron retires (Doncic, Young, Booker, Simmons, Giannis etc)

Its probably more sheer volume than anything but the other sports do look to spread that star power, the UFC looks to push one or two people at most.

Who's the next star?
Chimaev, Holland, Adesanya, Walker, Ribas, Ngannou etc.

Who knows? The guys you reference come from their standing as draft picks. No one cares about highly rated fighters until they perform.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Yeah that's fair, and I guess they're looking for that new star still, Izzy is the guy imo. They really must market their roster well though and I'm not sure quite how, other sports should look at how they manage to market women, Ronda was a megastar, I don't think tennis aside there's been as big a female sports star of recent times.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah that's fair, and I guess they're looking for that new star still, Izzy is the guy imo. They really must market their roster well though and I'm not sure quite how, other sports should look at how they manage to market women, Ronda was a megastar, I don't think tennis aside there's been as big a female sports star of recent times.
That's because as soon as a female sports star b gets a sniff these days they either go feminist or only fans

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
That's because as soon as a female sports star b gets a sniff these days they either go feminist or only fans

Ha ha, dunno about that. It is funny though, i watched the AFLW last night and the standard was pretty ordinary, can't say i enjoyed it much. But I'm happy to watch women's MMA/boxing. I think with fight sports a good contest is important, the relative skill levels not so much, I still enjoy going to local amateur boxing for example.

Back