Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not sure what point you're trying to make sorry mate.

I'm not saying the women's is the same as the mens, I'm saying I don't get how certain posters here grind the axe like women's MMA shouldn't be in existence at all.

Just that I understand why people complain, you're way more likely to see a jab fest with no real aim or purpose to finish with the girls than the guys. Main problem seems to be when they get say a prominent position right underneath the co main and you just know there's no chance of a finish. Personally watching Nunes with her Kate Upton walkout or whoever sings it is up there with almost any guy. Shevchenko, Wei, Joanna etc.

That's not to say their ain't s**t guy fights, there's plenty. Seems like the girls get some pretty good positions on a card just for being women, not for being entertaining fighters.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Also probably because they are just more mature but there's almost never ever any heat between girls before the fight. It's so much better when the people hate each other if though it never really matters in the fight, there's never any anticipation for the girls.

Just that I understand why people complain, you're way more likely to see a jab fest with no real aim or purpose to finish with the girls than the guys. Main problem seems to be when they get say a prominent position right underneath the co main and you just know there's no chance of a finish. Personally watching Nunes with her Kate Upton walkout or whoever sings it is up there with almost any guy. Shevchenko, Wei, Joanna etc.

That's not to say their ain't sh*t guy fights, there's plenty. Seems like the girls get some pretty good positions on a card just for being women, not for being entertaining fighters.

None of what you're saying is exactly wrong. I don't think it occurs in levels that are worthy of constant derision either.

All for criticism though, just not boring repetitive posting.

Cheers for the measured responses BTW no issue with them at all :thumbsu:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
None of what you're saying is exactly wrong. I don't think it occurs in levels that are worthy of constant derision either.

All for criticism though, just not boring repetitive posting.

Cheers for the measured responses BTW no issue with them at all :thumbsu:

Yeah I dislike alot of women's sports, not cause it's girls because objectively it's just a poor standard.

The women's MMA is one of the few sports though where there isn't a huge drop off. Great girl fights can be as good or better than the male ones. Can't say that about almost any other sport.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah I dislike alot of women's sports, not cause it's girls because objectively it's just a poor standard.

The women's MMA is one of the few sports though where there isn't a huge drop off. Great girl fights can be as good or better than the male ones. Can't say that about almost any other sport.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. I don’t like women’s tennis but then again I don’t like men’s as well ha ha

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. I don’t like women’s tennis but then again I don’t like men’s as well ha ha
Yeah it's like the AFLW, you get banned from the board and called a sexist pig if you don't say anything other than its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yet those same people who watch it ain't watching video of the ovens and Murray league for the love of the sport.

Basically you gotta treat women's sport like they are 6 year old soccer kids. Everyone knows it sucks but you're a campaigner if you go to a juniors game and say it sucks.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think a lot of the criticism of aflw is pretty sexist, hence unless you’re making a specific point all of the “they can’t even kick 30m” is just tired.

FWIW a lot of the women’s fights (and women in AFLW) go EXTREMELY hard, I honestly think they feel a need to prove themselves, I have immense respect for that.

Also Nunes walk out song is Katy Perry, Kate Upton is a very different Kate 😂

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think a lot of the criticism of aflw is pretty sexist, hence unless you’re making a specific point all of the “they can’t even kick 30m” is just tired.

FWIW a lot of the women’s fights (and women in AFLW) go EXTREMELY hard, I honestly think they feel a need to prove themselves, I have immense respect for that.

Also Nunes walk out song is Katy Perry, Kate Upton is a very different Kate 😂
Carrie Underwood I just found out. Not Katy perry

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I stand very much corrected then.

In any event Kate Upton worth a google

She doesn’t really belong in this thread but whatever, she’s a ripper

4ffec9edeab8eaa216000001

(Log in to remove this ad.)

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure what point you're trying to make sorry mate.

I'm not saying the women's is the same as the mens, I'm saying I don't get how certain posters here grind the axe like women's MMA shouldn't be in existence at all.
It should exist, it just shouldnt ruin UFC cards every weekend. Keep it in invicta. We dont have to sit through garbage wnba games to watch Lakers/Celtics. The last good wmma fight was JJ/Chinese chick. That was ages ago

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It should exist, it just shouldnt ruin UFC cards every weekend. Keep it in invicta. We dont have to sit through garbage wnba games to watch Lakers/Celtics. The last good wmma fight was JJ/Chinese chick. That was ages ago

Probably the last good one I can remember too. Joanne Calderwood vs Jessica Eye on the 257 card was terrible.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably the last good one I can remember too. Joanne Calderwood vs Jessica Eye on the 257 card was terrible.
Nothing kills a cards energy like wmma punching air, head and arm throw failures and inevitable boring decisions. The product will be so much better by getting rid of it and bringing in the odd "superfight" like Nunes/Cyborg sort of thing which had huge appeal. Run of the mill soccer mums just ruins it. Then people claim theyre underpaid?! Id pay more to dissolve it instead

Cool. Just if you're going to make comment on WMMA in every 2nd post on this board, can you at least provide some deeper analysis? Which you actually are capable of and do regularly when it comes to mens MMA.

It's just tiring reading you post the same stuff over and over again.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Cool. Just if you're going to make comment on WMMA in every 2nd post on this board, can you at least provide some deeper analysis? Which you actually are capable of and do regularly when it comes to mens MMA.

It's just tiring reading you post the same stuff over and over again.
I think on top of this hold the men’s stuff to the same standard as well. Plenty of poor men’s fights in main cards. Usually all that gets is a “that sucked onto the next” whereas the women’s gets “this is why they shouldn’t be in he ufc etc etc”

DeggLog

Draftee
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
The unfortunate thing for WMMA, Is that the depth just isnt there. You have the elite, Like Nunes, JJ, Shevchenko but then the next tier is worlds behind (They would still kick my ass) and I think they rush the up and comers way too often.

For example, Megan Anderson is set to fight Nunes...Why? She is coming off a KO...lets build her up slowly instead of feeding her to the wolves.
If you have followed for a decent time, you would get that Nunes v Anderson on paper....is a miss match.

Then there is the JoJo's of WMMA and as much as I love her...Her fights resemble pad work. I feel like WMMA was rushed as a product.
This sounds odd to say but I think WMMA would be on a better trajectory if Ronda didnt propel the Womens division at the time she did and the product got to evolve by itself (hope that makes sense)

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I like WMMA but agree with the above points. It will evolve .. . Some men’s fights are bore fests also. Can’t wait for shaddup to fight JJ again .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This. I find a lot of the fights somewhat terrible viewing, just as there are some terrible men’s fights. I hope my above comments weren’t taken the wrong way. But it’ll continue to evolve and get better. I certainly don’t think we should be removing them from main cards.

It will be and it needs to be persisted with. Things take time.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
This. I find a lot of the fights somewhat terrible viewing, just as there are some terrible men’s fights. I hope my above comments weren’t taken the wrong way. But it’ll continue to evolve and get better. I certainly don’t think we should be removing them from main cards.

It will be and it needs to be persisted with. Things take time.

Totally Cotter. Don’t need persisting . It’s here now and growing . Just like all the fights .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The unfortunate thing for WMMA, Is that the depth just isnt there. You have the elite, Like Nunes, JJ, Shevchenko but then the next tier is worlds behind (They would still kick my ass)
Do you really believe that? If so, are you a small guy?

There's weight divisions in fighting for a reason.

Back