Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
pretty dumb.

far more interested in this fight now than any conor fight.

what they’re not paying khabib (lol auto correct to Khalifa) they should use to make this fight happen.
Not really. Cause then you end up with a roster of blokes fighting as often as Conor.

Conor took too much power

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not really. Cause then you end up with a roster of blokes fighting as often as Conor.

Conor took too much power

not really this is a super fight rather than hype around one fighter who is past his prime.

can pay Jon a decent clip for this (and doesn’t really set a precedent.

jon hasn’t really sold for a while.

While I'm sure they're still flush, they've lost a lot of income through the gate. No surprise they're pushing through COVID protocol with 261 onwards.

Why guys that could otherwise still go, have been cut as it's unlikely that they'll accept peanuts.

Fighters are underpaid though, however that's another whole discussion.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
And on topic entertaining card, I didn't bet on the main event actually and lucky i didn't, i was in the Miocic camp. Francis looked great and if I was Jones I'd be asking for a shitload too ha ha

Tyron Woodley's performance made me laugh, he reminded me of Garmbrant against Dillashaw, fighting stupidly. And O'Malley's ground strike was the most brutal I can remember, maybe Fedor v Big Nog, though Big Nog just wore them ha ha

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Embarrassing if the UFC can't get Jones/Ngannou done.

Their tiered PPV buy system + ESPN guaranteeing money makes even less sense as to why the UFC can't/won't do it

PPV buy sales don't register for most fighters until a minimum of 200k buys & ESPN reportedly pay the UFC for 500k buys whether it's met or not. How many events lately wouldn't have got near 500k? Put that money away and get good fights done

500k buys x $75 is locked in. They don't pay PPV bonuses until 200k is locked and that's a few bucks each buy thereafter. Pathetic the penny pinching going on atm

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well the "worth" of a fighter can be very arbitrary and can vary wildly from fight to fight, so it's not really simple IMO.
It might not be that simple to some, but for people that have been in the game for a long time it's probably not that hard to work out what a fair pay looks like. It's all about the numbers. As long as uncle isn't being overly greedy it's all good.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It might not be that simple to some, but for people that have been in the game for a long time it's probably not that hard to work out what a fair pay looks like. It's all about the numbers. As long as uncle isn't being overly greedy it's all good.

Fair enough. Well I think Jones v Ngannou may never happen, to Jones it's a massive risk to his legacy and he wants to get paid accordingly (particularly as Ngannou could really hurt him). But fot the UFC it's not a big risk, Jones isn't really that big a draw considering his ability and if he lost he can go back down to LHW and there are fights there for him anyway.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fair enough. Well I think Jones v Ngannou may never happen, to Jones it's a massive risk to his legacy and he wants to get paid accordingly (particularly as Ngannou could really hurt him). But fot the UFC it's not a big risk, Jones isn't really that big a draw considering his ability and if he lost he can go back down to LHW and there are fights there for him anyway.
Jones doesn't sit at the top of the ppv table, but he definitely is a pretty big draw. Ngannou vs Jones I think would go ok.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jones might not be Conor but hes still one of their bigger draws. Now going up to the biggest division, itll be a big deal when he debuts at HW. Him v Lewis/Stipe/Volkov/ is PPV main event let alone against Ngannou for the belt

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
It must be the percentage of PPV cut the fighter gets they spend so long negotiating over.

Because the base rate even for Conor & alike is only a couple of million usually. It seems a pretty good system for negotiation, basically saying you earn what you can sell, but I guess it must come down to what percentage of the cut they get.

Jones Francis probably gets done but after Jon walks away from 205 & knows the insane threat of Francis it really is up in the air if it ever happens.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
700000 PPV buys @$80 is 56 mil. If they give them guaranteed 10s that's already 20 gone without points.
Ngannou/Jones eclipses 1m buys
Boxers do 200k and earn millions by comparison. Teofimo earned $5M for an ESPN fight v Loma. UFC can revenue split more than they do, they don't even pay out 25%
You're also not accounting for all the other revenue like our PPV, TV deals, Advertising, ticket sales etc.

You also need an ESPN+ sub to buy the PPV's in America. 1m x $10 per month is massive recurring revenue. UFC can't be so stingy on getting these big fights...

10 each is SFA for this. It's pathetic if it doesn't get done (still think it will)

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
What does Jones usually earn?

This is what has been reported.

A8849801-B0FF-4EE7-9774-19931E527CD5.jpeg

Those earnings are based on 'UFC pay only' and does 'not include PPV or locker room bonuses.'

Back