MMA-UFC UFC 269: Oliviera vs Poirier (December 11, 2021) [Main card 2pm Sunday AEDT]

Remove this Banner Ad

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Three days out, no thread yet, thought I'd start one.

UFC 269 card.png
ufc 269 poster.jpg

Early prelims 6pm EST (10am Melbourne)

Prelims 8pm EST (midday Mel)

Main card 10pm EST (2pm Mel)

---

Some decent fights in there, should be a good card overall.

Interesting that of the top seven fights on the card, the heaviest is at welterweight, lol.

The markets have Poirier around a $1.70 favourite, against Oliveira around $2.40.

Seems odd to me.

Nothing against Poirier but look through his fights over the past few years:

Two wins against a past-it Conor

a win against Hooker (whose shine has well and truly worn off) in a fight where he was almost KOd

a win against Holloway (a featherweight)

a loss against a Khabib (fair enough, everybody loses to Khabib)

a win against Alvarez (who is 2-4 in his last six)

a win against Gaethje (who had just lost to Alvarez by knee KO a few months prior)

a win against Miller (who is 5-8 since 2017)

a win against Pettis (who is 6-10 since 2015)

---

Not trying to knock the guy, but when you look at Poirier's wins since his loss to Johnson in 2016, there's some filler in there.

I'm not saying Olives is much better, although nine wins on the trot, with eight finishes, is hard to ignore.

Seems like more of a 50-50 fight to me at worst for Oliveira.

Anyway I'm looking forward to your predictions.

So many close fights on this one. Cruz, Tai, KKF, Ponz, Olives, Ige, Anders fights all 5050's & should all be entertaining

Nunes is a victim of her own dominance that her fights I'm never excited by. You just know it won't be close. Easily WMMA goat

Only 2-3 fights here I don't care about. Perfect amount for breaks during the day to do small jobs around the house

Crazy that the only thing stopping Olives from 9 stoppages in a row was Ferguson being willing to have his arm snap before tapping and being saved by the bell. What a run he's on.

Hoping Emmett comes back well, his last fight against Burgess after blowing out his knee in round one was borderline fight of the year

High level grappling from Muniz there, massive unit with super slick BJJ.

I'm probably leaning towards all the favourites on the main card, though I'd love to see KKF get the win. As a fan you can't really lose in the main event, though as the underdog yet again, I'll be supporting Oliveira.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back