MMA-UFC UFC 271

Remove this Banner Ad

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
BS decision.

It’s weird to have a champion who can only look as good as the challenger attacks, purely a counter strike fighter.

If the challenger gameplans as hard as the champ we get the Romero fight.

His fresh big money contract is fantastic, especially if decisions are involved.

Sonnen, Anthony Smith & Gaejthe all had Whittaker winning

First round was Izzys for sure but * me it was close every other round. This seemed like a fight that the judges leaned towards the champ when close (tbf I have no problem with that)
a7a7f5f7ea602d302374e56b49ab3d7c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Whittaker went 10 rounds toe to toe with Romero and not only survived but beat the man twice.

Adesanya got hit once by Romero and got rocked, then spent 4 and a half rounds dancing and kicking legs.

It’s very easy to respect how one of those champions goes about their business. But congrats on the “decision” today Izzy, I’m sure there’s a lot more to come.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
fu** bisping is a flog saying it was one sided. Honestly thought rob won the last 4 rounds (probably bias)
Yep, bias. Izzy won first round, Rob won last round. The other middle rounds harder to find clear winner but Izzy probably 2 rounds and Rob 1. Cannot see a way of Rob awarded 2 of them but could mount a case Izzy just wins each of them, just. 4 rounds to Izzy or 3, it still a win for him.
Whittaker probably needed to follow up on left jabs that connected more with other strikes. Izzy was quick to approach the fence when taken down. He did enough to retain the belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Happy Cannonier and Tai won.
Was hard watching the Beast fall down like a big tree tumbling. He was one of my favourite characters in UFC when started watching.
Was fun fight though. Most other fighters would have been down and out with some of those hits from the beast but Tai is a monster too and absorbs s**t no sane human should be able to absorb.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Maybe Rob moves up a weight class?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
He's probably undersized at MW, no way he can compete with Jiri, Rakic, Reyes etc.

The game plan was solid tonight but if I was Rob I'm not sure I'd wake up tomorrow being as happy with the execution. Got takedowns and couldn't hold them, fair enough. But backing away as soon as it got back to the feet every time, gave Izzy the momentum back. He showed he could pressure Izzy with grappling, needed to pile on the pressure every time he was inside.

Take a break, come back and beat Vettori (not a given) or Strickland (almost a dead cert) and try again.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Cant take the belt away from the champ in that fight

Had Izzy 3-2

What s**t me here is how he lost on the cards. If they had given Izzy round 4 instead of 2 I'd have little problem. 4 was the lineball round. 2 was pretty decisive. Rob landed the cleaner shots and got a takedown.

There is no consistency on how they are scoring inside the rounds. Because the reasons Whitaker won 4/5 were the same reason he won 2 IMO.

Dale_Thomas

Senior List
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
thats f’ed. Rob won 2 IMO. I dont think i could sit here and say Rob was better than Izzy but he won 2
Agree. Izzy won the fight. But the scoring was weird. At least we got a close fight, so the prospect of a third in a year or two isn't inconceivable.

I think Izzy will fight Cannonier next and then Strickland after that (providing he can get one more win).

Then he'll probably have another crack at LHW.

Rob will probably fight Vettori.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree. Izzy won the fight. But the scoring was weird. At least we got a close fight, so the prospect of a third in a year or two isn't inconceivable.

I think Izzy will fight Cannonier next and then Strickland after that (providing he can get one more win).

Then he'll probably have another crack at LHW.

Rob will probably fight Vettori.
what about Paula Costco i mean Paulo Costa ? if he gets back on the juice i guess

Tai is unreal has been rocked a few times now and just fights back with big hits. Absolute star.

Felt for Rob he was shattered.

Hard to see him winning with that style, had him winning rounds 2 4 and 5 I'm shocked it wasn't closer thought maybe a split decision.

I can't see Whittaker going up a division and doing any damage, I would love him to go down one but don't think that's physically possible.

No shame in being the 2nd best in a division Colby has done it well.

Back