RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Alright here we go. Two title fights and the most hyped fighter we've seen in years.

1648976947874.png

I think Volk has TKZ well covered; a guy with serious talent but who has always fallen short of the very best fighters. I think everyone is expecting Yan to walk through Sterling and claim his rightful crown, but we shouldn't sleep on Sterling who has the game and athleticism to test anyone. We've talked about Khamzat/Burns a fair bit already, but for the record, I've got Khamzat via TKO in the first.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Alright here we go. Two title fights and the most hyped fighter we've seen in years.

View attachment 1362754

I think Volk has TKZ well covered; a guy with serious talent but who has always fallen short of the very best fighters. I think everyone is expecting Yan to walk through Sterling and claim his rightful crown, but we shouldn't sleep on Sterling who has the game and athleticism to test anyone. We've talked about Khamzat/Burns a fair bit already, but for the record, I've got Khamzat via TKO in the first.
I’ll be in Melbourne for the f1. Feeling like I’m going to be missing a good one here. Agree with your predictions. Also need to consider that we don’t know what sterling will look like coming back from that injury. Yan probably handles him fairly easily but would be nice to see a close contest

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
I’ll be in Melbourne for the f1. Feeling like I’m going to be missing a good one here. Agree with your predictions. Also need to consider that we don’t know what sterling will look like coming back from that injury. Yan probably handles him fairly easily but would be nice to see a close contest
If Aljo is anywhere near his best it should be a good fight. He looked quite good in the first two rounds of the first fight, before gassing fairly badly. You've got to pace it well against Yan as he is a master at working out your timing as the fight goes on.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah Volk should win I'd say, would love him to get a finish. I've read some criticism about him being a point fighter so a nice TKO would be a great result.

Yan is close to the best fighter in the UFC I think and will be backing him against Sterling. I rewatched the first fight again the other day and Sterling started off quite well, I know Yan is a slow starter but I'd forgotten about that.

Really looking forward to Khamzat fighting, we might be seeing one of the great careers right here, yeah I'm aboard the hype train you might say.

Not that much interesting on the rest of the card but can't complain about these three fights. Also got a family BBQ this Sunday with a bunch of MMA loving in laws so it should work out well!

Spent all Saturday thinking it was on Sunday lol

1649051882241.png

Can't wait. I think Volk beats TKZ without a lot of trouble. Yan vs Sterling will be a repeat of the first, domination from Yan.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Khamzat wins this he could realistically be double champ by the end of next year.

With how he manhandled Hermansson in their wrestling exhibition I don't see Burns being able to do much purely due to the strength differential

I just hope Burns cracks him a few good times so we can see how his chin is

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Khamzat wins this he could realistically be double champ by the end of next year.

With how he manhandled Hermansson in their wrestling exhibition I don't see Burns being able to do much purely due to the strength differential

I just hope Burns cracks him a few good times so we can see how his chin is
I havent seen this but imo thats actually more of a worry for other fighters than his actual UFC fights if hes controlling/dominating top 185ers there...

With Kambosos/Haney signed for Melbourne, i think we get a UFC here by years end. Stipe/Tai headliner in Sydney?

For 273 I think the results are reasonably obvious for the main fights but should be fun. Hopefully Volk gets a finish though, needs it in a way. No way near as popular as he probably should be with his reign

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Yan is close to the best fighter in the UFC I think and will be backing him against Sterling. I rewatched the first fight again the other day and Sterling started off quite well, I know Yan is a slow starter but I'd forgotten about that.
Yeah it has been easily forgotten, as has how good Sterling actually is. That being said, I suggested the same of Yan's level post-Sandhagen, and I think he still has years of improvement left in him. Scary thought.

I havent seen this but imo thats actually more of a worry for other fighters than his actual UFC fights if hes controlling/dominating top 185ers there...
It should be noted it was a freestyle wrestling match, not Hermansson's preferred Greco-Roman. But yeah, was crazy impressive.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah it has been easily forgotten, as has how good Sterling actually is. That being said, I suggested the same of Yan's level post-Sandhagen, and I think he still has years of improvement left in him. Scary thought.

The other scary thought is how well Sandhagen fought in their fight. I can't think of a better losing title fight performance to be honest, he tried everything, mixed up the striking well and really ground it out, Yan is just that good.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah well everyone finds it harder to get finishes when they get to the very top I guess (well except for Anderson Silva for one)
Izzy's the most elite striker in the world according to most and he couldn't finish Rob, Vettori or Romero. Gastelum took 5.

Guys don't make it to the top if their chins are there for the taking all day

Izzy's the most elite striker in the world according to most and he couldn't finish Rob, Vettori or Romero. Gastelum took 5.

Guys don't make it to the top if their chins are there for the taking all day
I dunno, Izzy got Rob in two on the first outing.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's a couple of heavyweight fights in there as well, plenty to look forward to.

I don't like hype trains but Khamzat seems like the real deal...

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd laugh if Khamzat demolishes burns and leapfrogs Edwards for the title shot. It's not likely, but I could see Dana pushing for it because it will bring the most eyes
I reckon Khamzat does demolish Burns, but Edwards will keep his shot (targeted for July, so still 4 months away and anything can happen in that time). Khamzat will get winner.

Fancy being Edwards.. You win a heap of fights, perhaps sneak the belt, and first defence is against a crazy Chechen mf.

Edit- I think Dana wants Colby vs Khamzat.

Last edited:
Back