Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
e9yy9asc0ts81.jpg

Khamzat's coach Andreas Michael giving his opinion and confirming what most were assuming were his feelings during the fight. He's absolutely spot on.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Am I the only one who was shocked when Sterling was announced the winner? Thought Yan handled him pretty well. Second and third round were clear to sterling
I wasn't. But I get why people pick Yan.

Classic case of how do you score the first round. I had Sterling just in round 1. Had almost 10-8 in round 2. Round 3. With Yan winning 4/5

Am I the only one who was shocked when Sterling was announced the winner? Thought Yan handled him pretty well. Second and third round were clear to sterling

If you thought 2/5 rounds were clearly Sterling's, then he only had to win 1 other to win it. You shouldn't have been so shocked lol

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I gave it to Yan for cage control, but it happens. I wouldn't give any 10-8s in that fight. He controlled him easily but it's not like he locked him down a bunch or locked in a heap of submissions. He just body locked him without much damage. For a 10-8 you should nearly finish the other bloke at least once.

You're certainly not the only one, but I had Sterling personally. The fans seem to have heavily favoured Yan, while the media is in line with the actual result. This fight under the the half-point system might have been interesting.

I think Sterling could monster Dillashaw. He's a huge bantamweight and I think he'll be able to man-handle a semi-clean TJ.
Dana White had it Yans way and so did pretty much all the media I have seen

But look it wasn't a robbery by any stretch and was super close. 2 & 3 Sterling, 4 & 5 Yan and the 1st could have gone either way

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Haven't thought about this a heap but would people be down with more drawn rounds? Like instead of having to give the first round could they score it 10-10 or 9-9. Why does someone have to take the round if it isn't clear?

Haven't thought about this a heap but would people be down with more drawn rounds? Like instead of having to give the first round could they score it 10-10 or 9-9. Why does someone have to take the round if it isn't clear?
They should have open scoring

Have the judges score be shown at the end of each round imo

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
They should have open scoring

Have the judges score be shown at the end of each round imo

This won’t fix anything IMO.

If blokes know they are in front in what feels like a close fight they will just completly cruise/hug/grapple in the latter rounds. It will actually make fights more boring.

If blokes know they are in front in what feels like a close fight they will just completly cruise/hug/grapple in the latter rounds. It will actually make fights more boring.
Mmmm maybe

But fighters who know they are down will come out harder. So it counter balances

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

But most fights people know when they're infront anyway. This is more like if a fighter loses rounds 1 they will be more urgent in round 2 of a 3 rounder. If the other bloke is good enough to hold them down, they'll do it anyway

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Dana White had it Yans way and so did pretty much all the media I have seen

But look it wasn't a robbery by any stretch and was super close. 2 & 3 Sterling, 4 & 5 Yan and the 1st could have gone either way

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Definitely not paying attention to Dana's opinion. Everyone is all over the place on the decision, doesn't sound like a robbery to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
I'm all for it, or alternatively, half points.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
That burns chimaev fight was probably the most win win fight I can remember. Khamzat needed the win more than Burns, but Burns stock went way up in that fight. Burns only has to take out a Masvidal/Luque and he's right back at the top again. If Chimaev beats Colby then Burns and Colby can fight for the next #1 contender after Chimaev. Could also fight Edwards after he gets his boring head caved in by Usman

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
That burns chimaev fight was probably the most win win fight I can remember. Khamzat needed the win more than Burns, but Burns stock went way up in that fight. Burns only has to take out a Masvidal/Luque and he's right back at the top again. If Chimaev beats Colby then Burns and Colby can fight for the next #1 contender after Chimaev. Could also fight Edwards after he gets his boring head caved in by Usman
Will never happen, they're good mates.

If Colby doesn't beat Chimaev then he should be a fair way from another title shot. The best wins on his record are two losses...

At least the WW division looks more active than it has in years. Luque has been forgotten about as always, but a dominant win over Belal should remind everyone he's in the picture. If Leon gets a respectable loss to Usman then he's a long way from another shot but he's a good fight for every other contender. Then there are the wild cards in Shavkat and Morales. It's gone from being the worst division to one of the more intriguing in my eyes.

Last edited:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Will never happen, they're good mates. If Colby doesn't beat Chimaev then he should be a fair way from another title shot. The best wins on his record are two losses...
I hate when people say this, you can beat guys in the top 5 at the time and then 12 months later they're gone and everyone's like 'hasnt beaten anyone relevant"

You know Burns hasn't beaten anyone in the top 10? Neither has Colby outside of Masvidal or Edwards. So basically you don't rate anyone in the division.

Only have to look with your own eyes to see how good Colby is

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
I hate when people say this, you can beat guys in the top 5 at the time and then 12 months later they're gone and everyone's like 'hasnt beaten anyone relevant"

You know Burns hasn't beaten anyone in the top 10? Neither has Colby outside of Masvidal or Edwards. So basically you don't rate anyone in the division.

Only have to look with your own eyes to see how good Colby is
Not sure many have beaten the top 5 all the time then been written off 12 months later? Also irrelevant as Colby hasn't done that.

I didn't know Burns hasn't beaten anyone in the top 10 because he has. Wonderboy was 4th, Woodley was 1st (concede he was realistically done at this time), and Maia was 5th.

I also rate every single of the guys mentioned, save for Masvidal. I would just rather see someone of Colby's calibre against the best and in different stylistic matchups. I can't wait to see him against Chimaev.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Does any current champ have a better resume than Volk?
Mendes, Aldo, Holloway X2, Ortega, Zombie.
Like Christ that's a murderers row.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Khazmat only went up for me. He was in a ******* scrap. Showed heart. Didn't get his way and won in a chaotic mess. for someone with "holes" in his game to beat Burns is pretty scary

Absolutely, i think most reasonable observers would think that way. I tipped him to steamroll Burns I must say but wasn't sure, had no idea how good he was but we at least know he's elite and he can tough it out through adversity, and he's 11-0.

Goshka

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Alright boys. Update. Went to Dominance last night and had my first session. Harder than I thought NGL. I’m probably a fair way off professional fighting but it was the kind of reality check I needed because I may have been getting ahead of myself. I am similar to Khamzat in a way. Both went through humbling experiences but both came out winners. Both also exceptionally talented with huge futures ahead of us in this game.

We were taught some basics but towards the end I learnt how to escape a full mount. I’ve watched YouTube videos and it looks pretty straightforward but actually pulling it off against a willing opponent in the real world is a different story.

I’m probably six months off an amateur fight.

Cheers

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Alright boys. Update. Went to Dominance last night and had my first session. Harder than I thought NGL. I’m probably a fair way off professional fighting but it was the kind of reality check I needed because I may have been getting ahead of myself. I am similar to Khamzat in a way. Both went through humbling experiences but both came out winners. Both also exceptionally talented with huge futures ahead of us in this game.

We were taught some basics but towards the end I learnt how to escape a full mount. I’ve watched YouTube videos and it looks pretty straightforward but actually pulling it off against a willing opponent in the real world is a different story.

I’m probably six months off an amateur fight.

Cheers
I'm looking forward to have another Australian UFC champion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back