MMA-UFC UFC 281: Adesanya v Pereira

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
16672303861015.jpg

Big one this weekend. The more I think about it I feel Israel wins, he might try and point fight him the whole way and could find trouble of course but Izzy has improved so much since he's been in the UFC.

I do wonder if Pereira might make him push the aggression more though, maybe he'll think he has to get in first or something, could make it an absolute banger.

Other than that I favour Weili in the co-main, I think Chandler might be too much for Poirier in another banger. Edgar would be great for him to go out on a win so I'll be behind him, and not sure about Hooker's opponent but you know Dan will be having a crack so should be entertaining.

and not sure about Hooker's opponent but you know Dan will be having a crack so should be entertaining.
Puelles is good. He's way more of a sub guy at this stage (3 kneebar wins in the UFC so far) so if he's able to take Dan down it could be a quick night for him. Dan should have a big edge in the stand up though and you know CKB will have him well prepared for takedowns/leg lock attacks. I think Dan should still have too much for him, unless his chin has finally cracked after his recent run of losses.

Frankie's retiring with a limp after this fight with Gutierrez I think. He really should have hung them up a while back and now he's fighting a big bantamweight who is a great calf kicker on the way out. Not a good mix IMO. He's one of my all time favourites so I'll be rooting for him, but I think Chris gets this done pretty easy.

Poirier beats Chandler I think. Chandler does have a path to victory with his wrestling, but I think he tries to stand and bang with Dustin and he loses a close fight where both guys have their moments and come out bloody.

I can't see a way to victory for Carla. I think she shoots early and often, but gets bullied and loses badly inside 2 rounds.

The main event is fascinating. I favour Izzy due to having a bit more MMA experience, but Periera is only 1 strike away from being able to end it all again.

This will be 100% a kickboxing match, I hope Izzy gets KTFO because some of his title defences have been bludgers

Kind of feeling the consensus and the bookmakers in the main event. Yes Pereira has beaten him twice in KB (once on very short notice as well), but Izzy is so well adapted to the cage at this point, and has since developed into a world-class counter striker. It could be really boring, but if Alex goes hell-for-leather for the KO, we could be in for some fun.

Can't see Weili losing.

As Guy mentioned, Chandler could utilise his wrestling here but after all his talk about it not being all about wins and losses, I think he continues putting on a show and gets finished doing so.

Very tough farewell for Edgar, who should probably have just walked away. Also a tricky fight for Hooker, but I think he can keep it standing and dictate the terms.

Interesting to see Molly pumped back down to the prelims, in what is a fairly interesting fight. Reyes v Spann as a prelim is nuts. Riddell/Moicano, Petrovski/Turman and even Ulberg/Negumereanu are great fights as well. Killer event.

Kind of feeling the consensus and the bookmakers in the main event. Yes Pereira has beaten him twice in KB (once on very short notice as well), but Izzy is so well adapted to the cage at this point, and has since developed into a world-class counter striker. It could be really boring, but if Alex goes hell-for-leather for the KO, we could be in for some fun.

It doesn't really appear to be in either of their natures to go hell for leather. I'm not overy familiar with Pereira from his kickboxing days (other than seeing some quick youtube highlights) so could be wrong on that front I guess. Knowing that Izzy will likely keep the fight standing, he may show more aggression as he would have been expecting to grapple with all his previous opponents. One thing I have noticed from his fights in the octagon so far is that he doesn't defend strikes as well as Izzy which is why I'm leaning towards Izzy retaining.

I think Izzy decision is most likely. He has more fluent movement and experience with the smaller gloves. He does his best work against aggressive fighters though so this may see him get a stoppage as AP will come for his head

Dont care about Esparza/China. Piss break

DP/Chandler is fight of the card imo. Poirer decision but an exciting one

Edgar should retire. Not sure why this fight is happening but always cheer for Frankie

Hooker gets a massive step down here. If he has anything left he should roll

As we saw with Rob's last attempt, you have to beat Izzy to beat him. Rob looked quite good after finding his rhythm, and I imagine Pereira will at times as well. But rightly or wrongly, Izzy is the champ and a renowned counter-striker and the judges will give him the win if the majority of the fight is on the feet and he's not being beat up. Pereira is an elite striker of course, but I still think he needs to KO Izzy to win, and for him to do that, the fight could open up for Izzy himself.

Could be really exciting, could be as dull as it gets.

Hopefully this isn't like Adesanya's usual bullshit. I'm going to * him up, send him home in a body bag bullshit all week

And then stand there and bore him to death come Sunday

Hopefully this isn't like Adesanya's usual bullshit. I'm going to * him up, send him home in a body bag bullshit all week

And then stand there and bore him to death come Sunday
Of course it is. Hes done that multiple times

Only thing will be if AP forces the fight out of him. Izzy wont be the one pushing forward much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last guy to beat Pereira in kickboxing was Artem Vikhitov, who was apparently released by Glory due to the Ukraine thing.

I'd like to see Artem transition into MMA and make a fast play to fight either Israel or Alex within a couple years.

He's only 31, still young enough. Had a killer run in kickboxing prior to getting beaten by Pereira, who he then beat in the rematch.

---

I don't get people saying they are not excited about Israel vs Alex. It is an amazing story in sport.

A guy from one discipline gets beaten by another guy twice, goes into a different discipline, dominates it, wins the title, then his former foe follows him to the new discipline, wins a few in a row, gets fast tracked to a title shot, and now here we are.

If Israel wins, he really is untouchable at middleweight, boring or otherwise, people just can't beat him.

If Alex wins, suddenly the division opens up again, a good outcome for all parties concerned (except of course for Israel, however he recently signed a multi fight deal on what he considers to be good pay 'second best in the UFC' iirc, so he'll be fine either way as a prize fighter, and will no doubt earn a rematch if indeed he does lose the belt).

Remember how in the Ngannou vs Gane fight, nobody saw Ngannou's wrestling coming to the fore?

Nobody predicted it (that I know of). Everybody was shocked by what happened.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see something similar in this fight...

---

In Dustin vs Michael, I see the markets have the Hot Sauce man as clear favourite (implied probability 65%).

Why?

Take a look at his results over the last few years.

dustin results.png

Two wins over a past-it Conor.

A dicey win (almost got ko'd) against a defensively sloppy striker in Hooker.

A decision win against a volume striking featherweight in Holloway.

A good win against an already well past it striker in Alvarez.

A good win against a (then) defensively sloppy striker in Gaethje (has since tightened up).

And two losses against guys who could hurt him on the ground.

If Chandler rushes in to put on a show, sure, Dustin could finish it quickly.

If Chandler goes out there to win first and entertain second, I'd have him as clear favourite.

Definitely an exciting fight either way.

Of course it is. Hes done that multiple times

Only thing will be if AP forces the fight out of him. Izzy wont be the one pushing forward much

Izzy doesn't mind a dogfight if he has to, he certainly showed that against Gastelum. He'd prefer not to though, which I certainly understand, though if anyone would make him engage surely it's Pereira

Remove this Banner Ad

Back