MMA-UFC UFC 284 - Makhachev v Volkanovski

Remove this Banner Ad

Word is, another UFC event in Aus in November and there was talk in the post fight presser that they'd be back in Perth again next year guaranteed.. But we'll see how that pans out.
Great news, if true. Two PPVs a year with a fight night here or there in between would really ignite the sport in our country. It also shows an enormous amount of faith from the UFC to put that much stock in us, despite our considerably smaller population base. To host 15% of the annual PPV events when there's so many other larger countries out there really says a lot e.g. Our 26ish million population gets two PPVs in one year vs Canada's 40ish million population that can't even get one PPV and they have had some of the greatest MMA fighters of all time come from that country!

Word is, another UFC event in Aus in November and there was talk in the post fight presser that they'd be back in Perth again next year guaranteed.. But we'll see how that pans out.

I imagine they'd make good money out of the events here, plenty of Aussies/NZers to put on the card these days which are cheap, they always seem to sell out too.

If a return to Melbourne happens would Marvel be possible again? Didn't go last time but I imagine it was a pretty tough view in the stands, with the new screens it may be better though.

If a return to Melbourne happens would Marvel be possible again? Didn't go last time but I imagine it was a pretty tough view in the stands, with the new screens it may be better though.

They would have it at Marvel as they would pack it out regardless, but unless you've got a seat in the front few rows, it's pretty s**t. (Not sure if everyone's been on level 1 with raised seats). At 183 had floor seats and couldn't see s**t. Seats on level 2 for Izzy/Ron not much better either.

Number one sporting moment still remains Rob KO'ing Brunson at Rod Laver. Noise and energy was insane.

They would have it at Marvel as they would pack it out regardless, but unless you've got a seat in the front few rows, it's pretty s**t. (Not sure if everyone's been on level 1 with raised seats). At 183 had floor seats and couldn't see s**t. Seats on level 2 for Izzy/Ron not much better either.

Number one sporting moment still remains Rob KO'ing Brunson at Rod Laver. Noise and energy was insane.
Yeh personally think the crowd pop at Etihad when Holm kicked Rondas head off was absolutely ear splitting but you’re spot on, the “cheap” seats at Marvel (which were still $100 from memory) would have been terrible.

So long as we've got a few champs or #1 contenders coming out of Aus and NZ, we should be getting a PPV a year.

It's actually awesome that we can pack a PPV main card with Aussie and Kiwi fighters and it holds its own against other PPV cards.

Yeh personally think the crowd pop at Etihad when Holm kicked Rondas head off was absolutely ear splitting but you’re spot on, the “cheap” seats at Marvel (which were still $100 from memory) would have been terrible.

You're right actually. But my lasting memory from that moment was the collective "did that just happen" moment. Obviously in hindsight or the more educated fans, wasn't the all time upset.....but you could feel it all all around the stadium.

You're right actually. But my lasting memory from that moment was the collective "did that just happen" moment. Obviously in hindsight or the more educated fans, wasn't the all time upset.....but you could feel it all all around the stadium.
The crowd reaction when Holly slipped and danced away from Rondas real ugly hooks (the one where Ronda fell into the fence) was pretty sick too.

Great news, if true. Two PPVs a year with a fight night here or there in between would really ignite the sport in our country. It also shows an enormous amount of faith from the UFC to put that much stock in us, despite our considerably smaller population base.

How much is the WA government paying the UFC for each event?

May be more about dollars in the bank now than about 'faith in Austalia'.

How much is the WA government paying the UFC for each event?

May be more about dollars in the bank now than about 'faith in Austalia'.
Possibly. We've seen that with the Middle East in the past but you can't deny that we're getting a lot of attention for such a small country when compared to some others out there.

Possibly. We've seen that with the Middle East in the past but you can't deny that we're getting a lot of attention for such a small country when compared to some others out there.

Australia -- the people and the government -- is full of people willing to pay over the top for events.

How much is Melbourne spending on the F1 every year? Something like 50 million per annum from the state government alone.

Doesn't mean the head honchos of F1 or the FIA give a flying **** about Australia, other than the money.

If your point is that Aus seems to be over represented in terms of top level athletes then yes, it does seem that way.

I haven't checked the stats to see what proportion of fighters are fighting out of Aus but it seems like Aus / NZ are punching above their weight class.

If your point is that Aus seems to be over represented in terms of top level athletes then yes, it does seem that way.

I haven't checked the stats to see what proportion of fighters are fighting out of Aus but it seems like Aus / NZ are punching above their weight class.
That's really the point I was trying to get across and the UFC seems keen to take advantage of this new wave of Oceanic MMA fighters by giving us more events than a bigger (and more convenient) country like Canada.

Australia -- the people and the government -- is full of people willing to pay over the top for events.

How much is Melbourne spending on the F1 every year? Something like 50 million per annum from the state government alone.

Doesn't mean the head honchos of F1 or the FIA give a flying **** about Australia, other than the money.

For the uninitiated the GP, whilst expensive, is substantially cheaper for us than just about any other country (except Monaco from memory).
We have a really really cheap licensing fee and the FIA has never forced us to run a night race in spite of that being better for a tv audience because of the infrastructure cost for us to do it.

Melbourne GP costs next to nothing compares to most other grand prix races around the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the uninitiated the GP, whilst expensive, is substantially cheaper for us than just about any other country (except Monaco from memory).
We have a really really cheap licensing fee and the FIA has never forced us to run a night race in spite of that being better for a tv audience because of the infrastructure cost for us to do it.

Melbourne GP costs next to nothing compares to most other grand prix races around the world.

Where did you hear this?

According to the following article, you're way off.

It puts Australia in the top half of countries listed in terms of hosting cost.

Where did you hear this?

According to the following article, you're way off.

It puts Australia in the top half of countries listed in terms of hosting cost.
It definately was the case before the renewed agreement so I might be out of date. I worked with the AGPC.

The figure in that article are ******* way off the official FIA documents that I saw (that are confidential).

Our fee was $25m prior to the new deal so $35m seems reasonable.

Monaco was $20m not $15m (although that might include contra and s**t for all I know).

Every other deal was $30m plus as a minimum up to $60m for Azerbaijan and that was 10ish years ago so I seriously doubt so many have gone down substantially.

It definately was the case before the renewed agreement so I might be out of date. I worked with the AGPC.

That list is not updated with Melbourne's new contract (which runs to 2035), it is only up to 2023.

So it would seem that Melbourne (primarily the state government) has been paying through the teeth for a long time.

That list is not updated with Melbourne's new contract (which runs to 2035), it is only up to 2023.

So it would seem that Melbourne (primarily the state government) has been paying through the teeth for a long time.
The deal that I knew of (which included the official total expenditure of the event) was $25m and the total budget was $50m (which was always exceeded by a couple million).

I don't think I have ever heard anything like that noise before.
From where I was sitting, looking at the screen was really the only option and we weren't crazy far back or anything. IIRC we were only just a bit back from where the oval started. The atmosphere made it worth it in the end, but without the screen it would've been difficult to see everything that was happening.

I don't think I have ever heard anything like that noise before.
From where I was sitting, looking at the screen was really the only option and we weren't crazy far back or anything. IIRC we were only just a bit back from where the oval started. The atmosphere made it worth it in the end, but without the screen it would've been difficult to see everything that was happening.
I had some corporates for it so we were in a bow with a private screen but i recall seeing the tickets before i got offered those ones and thinking the ticketing model was stuffed.

The ringside was only like $3-4k and the cheapest seats were still $99.

Bump ringside right up (should be $10-$15k) and make the nosebleeds $25-$40, i reckon then you get a true sellout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back