MMA-UFC UFC 284 - Makhachev v Volkanovski

Remove this Banner Ad

What's everyone's thoughts on the co main?
Yair to easily outclass him with Emmetts only hope being that one punch ko?

Neither of them interest me v volk anyway. Cejudo is the one that I hope gets the 135 belt and fights Volk, the rest of the division are all so far behind Max
Yair looked really good against Holloway until he didn't, just got a feeling about that straight one down the pipe from Emmett.

Volk and Islam wouldn't give a * about this, and I don't really either but I do find it funny that this is the pound for pound decider, at Islam's weight class. Wouldn't they have to also do it at 145 to do the true pound for pound.

Doing alcohol promotion, bit of a stretch to being 3 month fight camp ready for a shot at a title.
People have taken title shots on less prep

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

People have taken title shots on less prep

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Oh yeah Bisping won a title doing it on 10 days or something but what a change in opponent to go from training camp makachev to backup Charles. If it's legit Charles must have been training in secret for this.

Oh yeah Bisping won a title doing it on 10 days or something but what a change in opponent to go from training camp makachev to backup Charles. If it's legit Charles must have been training in secret for this.
I'm sure he would have been doing some sort of training but maybe he isn't the back up

But to totally dismiss it considering how far he has travelled seems silly

Volk and Islam wouldn't give a * about this, and I don't really either but I do find it funny that this is the pound for pound decider, at Islam's weight class. Wouldn't they have to also do it at 145 to do the true pound for pound.

Yeah probably. I mean if Volk wins he's just cementing P4P #1, Islam would have to win the WW strap to do that I think.

Anyway I think everyone's definitions of P4P varies, I just think of it as the "best" fighter regardless of weight, I wouldn't argue with anyone who said it's Islam if he beats Volk.

Would be cool, kind of like the fights between Angela Lee and Xiong Jing Nan. No chance Islam makes 145 though lol

Pretty crazy that Volk is moving up to 155 in the first place. He's my height, and he cuts to the weight I walk around at.

casual ufc watcher question, how big of a step up (ground wise) is islam compared to ortega? different type of game but is it worlds apart?

casual ufc watcher question, how big of a step up (ground wise) is islam compared to ortega? different type of game but is it worlds apart?

Huge. Ortega has great BJJ, but doesn't have a top game like Islam. The main threat from Ortega was his subs (as we saw, twice), but Islam will look to get on top of Volk and finish the fight. Given that Islam's naturally a bigger guy (even talks of him moving to WW), it'll be a tough night for Volk.

It's obviously a huge generalisation, but I like to explain the difference between wrestling and BJJ as offensive grappling vs defensive grappling.

Ortega gets you when you make a mistake and locks in a submission, Islam forces you into those mistakes and doesn't let you breathe while doing it.

Islam's last fight was against Oliveria, someone who arguably has as good if not better BJJ than Ortega and Islam handled him pretty easily with his wrestling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I mean, it would certainly be the decider for Volk. I would think Islam would have to win at WW for him to actually get that title. It's just an arbitrary rating system though, never been too much logic to it.

Bobbing up after a week or so absence here, so a few notes:

Oliviera did mutter something in the latest Embedded video that he's not chance to be an alternate, not at the expected weight anyway - so that's not why he's here, it appears.

I like Allen & Topuria at Featherweight as likely contenders in the next 2 years. Don't get me wrong about Emmett & Yair - they're awesome fighters but I don't see either of them ultimately troubling Volk if those fights ever get made.
It should also be noted that Aljo keeps making sounds about being sick of cutting to 135, and being called a weight bully. So look for him to move up sometime in the next year or 2 IMO.

I went to the Open workouts last night, too busy and not well setup to cater for the numbers that turned out.. I don't think they anticipated that turnout at all. I bailed after Islam got off the mic and streamed the rest on YouTube on the train home - it was a better watch on there. :tearsofjoy:

Lastly, i've been Umm'ing and aahhh'ing about whether to go on saturday to the presser, but I think I still prefer to take my boy to Jiujitsu class for our regular routine instead. Sunday morning will be entertaining enough at RAC Arena. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back