MMA-UFC UFC 284 - Makhachev v Volkanovski

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I know I've gone early here but I think there's a good reason considering this Perth card will be the first in Australia since before the pandemic. We'll start with the most obvious talking point - we're all expecting the main event to involve our man Alex Volkanovski moving up to the 155 pound limit to take on newly crowned lightweight champion Islam Makhachev in a super fight for the 155 belt. This fight has already been set up and everyone expects it to be announced as the main event for UFC 284 in Perth:

The first fight that was announced for this card was actually Australia's Robert Whittaker taking on Paulo Costa and it should be an absolute cracker. Whittaker has been destroying virtually every middleweight on the planet that isn't named Israel Adesanya and seems to be playing the role of the gatekeeper as of late but one guy he hasn't fought at this stage is Paulo Costa. These guys have both been top 5 fighters in the middleweight division for years and it's entirely possible that this fight will act as a number one contender's match for an Adesanya rematch later on in 2023.

Another fight that was announced today involves the rejuvenated Aussie Tyson Pedro matching up against rising Chinese fighter Zhang Mingyang. Pedro pulled off one of the greatest comebacks of all time earlier this year when he returned to the octagon and has looked like a completely different fighter ever since joining the famed City Kickboxing gym in Auckland. Pedro might even find his way into the light heavyweight rankings should he beat Mingyang and that would be great to have another ranked Aussie in the UFC.

It has also been speculated that Tai Tuivasa will take part in this card. Bam Bam is a huge draw these days and it feels like a natural fit to put him on this card against another heavyweight like... Curtis Blaydes perhaps? That would be the 3rd ranked heavyweight vs the 4th ranked heavyweight and could lead to a title shot in the near future for the winner.

For the Perth locals, it seems like local fighter Jack Della Maddalena is guaranteed to participate in UFC 284. Not sure who he'll face but a ranked fighter would be nice to give Della Maddalena an opportunity to become a ranked welterweight himself. No doubt the crowd will be going absolutely nuts for the local lad when he makes the walk.

So what do we think? Is this going to be the best UFC card that we've ever hosted in Australia? There's certainly a lot of potential there...

Tai fights in a couple weeks. Unless he gets out without damage i doubt he fights in Feb.

Pedro should be fighting a name. Ive never heard of that Chinese guy, im hardly a casual...

Will be a good time. If you've never been to a UFC i recommend it. Atmosphere is tremendous

Rob stops Costa

Volk is gonna have a tough time. I think he'll trouble Islam on the feet but not sure how he'll go on his back. At times he struggled to shake off T-City and Islam is multiple levels heavier than that. Truly the toughest double champ fight of all time, maybe Penn/GSP 1 comes close.

who is that GIF

Can’t bloody wait for this! Flights and accomm already booked. Card is gonna be stacked with Aussie talent!

I know it’s not designed for self-promo, but I host a local MMA podcast, we recently had Jack Jenkins on, who will be debuting in Perth. Have had others like Jimmy Crute, Jake Matthews, Josh Culibao, Jamie Mullarkey on the show previously. Check it out if you’re into Aussie mma. 🤙🏼

Attachments

• AEFCA6AA-453C-4B03-A32B-74BBDFC83F61.jpeg
    AEFCA6AA-453C-4B03-A32B-74BBDFC83F61.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 44
Can’t bloody wait for this! Flights and accomm already booked. Card is gonna be stacked with Aussie talent!

I know it’s not designed for self-promo, but I host a local MMA podcast, we recently had Jack Jenkins on, who will be debuting in Perth. Have had others like Jimmy Crute, Jake Matthews, Josh Culibao, Jamie Mullarkey on the show previously. Check it out if you’re into Aussie mma. 🤙🏼

How was the cost of flights and accom to Perth (presumably from Vic?)

Also, good stuff with the podcast. :thumbsu:

How was the cost of flights and accom to Perth (presumably from Vic?)

Also, good stuff with the podcast. :thumbsu:
Cheers mate! Got Jack Maddalena on this week. Very excited.

Yeah from Melbourne. Flights were about $540 return, and accom I’m splitting with 2 mates, so worked out to be about $80 a night, staying at the Mantra right in the CBD.

Now just gotta make sure we get tickets! Lol

Is there some *ery going on with the potential main event? I'm currently listening to Ariel's pod and he's saying that maybe the UFC are leaning towards Yair Rodriguez? Volk tweeted Islam last week telling him to sign the contract and Islam said he will when he gets it, haven't heard anything more really.

Is there some *ery going on with the potential main event? I'm currently listening to Ariel's pod and he's saying that maybe the UFC are leaning towards Yair Rodriguez? Volk tweeted Islam last week telling him to sign the contract and Islam said he will when he gets it, haven't heard anything more really.
Yeah seems like it’s not so inevitable that they book Volk/Islam after all. Annoying!

Maybe the UFC aren’t convinced Volk has a chance!? Who knows. Either way, I’m just keen to see Volk headline in Oz.

Yeah seems like it’s not so inevitable that they book Volk/Islam after all. Annoying!

Maybe the UFC aren’t convinced Volk has a chance!? Who knows. Either way, I’m just keen to see Volk headline in Oz.

I don't think the UFC would really care if Volk wins or loses, they don't seem to like giving people easy fights just because it's in their homeland. Not that Yair would be an easy fight but Volk would be a warm favourite in that one for sure.

Unless the UFC are using Yair as bargaining power, maybe Islam wants more money or something.

So what is going to be the best place to try to get tickets for this? Is it through the UFC site or are they using something like ticketek? See a lot of on seller looking sites and am a bit dubious.
There is a few ways you can do this.

1. If you are very picky where you want to sit and/or want to sit as close to the cage as possible, then you probably need to sign up to UFC Fight club membership for $85, which gives you access to presale tickets before anyone.

2. Follow the UFC socials and they will eventually post a presale ticket code which will give you access to tickets before the general public sale. This is a 2nd tier presale. The fight club presale takes first so you might find all the good seats have been taken by fight club members. Link to register for presale tickets:

3. Buy a travel package from an official UFC travel package partner. It usually includes accomodation, tickets, special UFC fighter Q&A and/or signing sessions. And some even come with an Octagon tour. These are usually very expensive.

4. Join the ticketek/ticketmaster queue when general public sale commences.

If you don't necessary care where you want to sit in the arena but just want to guarantee a ticket, option 2 is the best.

Last edited:
There is a few ways you can do this.

1. If you are very picky where you want to sit and/or want to sit as close to the cage as possible, then you probably need to sign up to UFC Fight club membership for $85, which gives you access to presale tickets before anyone.

2. Follow the UFC socials and they will eventually post a presale ticket code which will give you access to tickets before the general public sale. This is a 2nd tier presale. The fight club presale takes first so you might find all the good seats have been taken by fight club members. Link to register for presale tickets:

3. Buy a travel package from an official UFC travel package partner. It usually includes accomodation, tickets, special UFC fighter Q&A and/or signing sessions. And some even come with an Octagon tour. These are usually very expensive.

4. Join the ticketek/ticketmaster queue when general public sale commences.

If you don't necessary care where you want to sit in the arena but just want to guarantee a ticket, option 2 is the best.
Looks like general sale happening Friday. Registered for pre sale but heard nothing. Wonder if too late to for option 1? Don't want to pay the $85 now if they are sold out. Reckon general sale tickets will be tough to get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jimmy Crute has a dance partner now, haven't heard of his opponent and Shannon Ross (Aussie) has also been added.

EDIT: Ok I just looked up Menifield, remember him now, the guy who knocked out Cirkunov, ok this might be a tough one for Jimmy's return

Jimmy Crute has a dance partner now, haven't heard of his opponent and Shannon Ross (Aussie) has also been added.

EDIT: Ok I just looked up Menifield, remember him now, the guy who knocked out Cirkunov, ok this might be a tough one for Jimmy's return

Menifield is a beast on the feet, but has been controlled by wrestlers in the past. If Crute keeps trying to pretend he's an elite striker, he probably gets finished again. He really needs to bring back the mauling style that got him to the UFC in the first place!

Ross I'm not familiar with, but looking at his record I'm not expecting great things. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

So $85 Australian? Looks like a LOT of people interested. Might be worth it otherwise may be tough to get tickets. Anyone else members here? Is this a guarantee to get tickets or like everything else first in best dressed.

So $85 Australian? Looks like a LOT of people interested. Might be worth it otherwise may be tough to get tickets. Anyone else members here? Is this a guarantee to get tickets or like everything else first in best dressed.

Used to be a fight club member, but it's really only worth it for the presale tickets. I think you get like 6 codes though. Think it's always been that price. Should be able to get a ticket for being a FC member.

The fact it's in an arena and not a stadium would probably be worth getting, reckon tickets will be exhausted by the time general public window is open IMO.

Used to be a fight club member, but it's really only worth it for the presale tickets. I think you get like 6 codes though. Think it's always been that price. Should be able to get a ticket for being a FC member.

The fact it's in an arena and not a stadium would probably be worth getting, reckon tickets will be exhausted by the time general public window is open IMO.
6 codes meaning you can get 6 tickets per year? Probably not an issue given we are unlikely to get more events here.

Anyone know what kind of ballpark price range tickets may be?

6 codes meaning you can get 6 tickets per year? Probably not an issue given we are unlikely to get more events here.

Anyone know what kind of ballpark price range tickets may be?

Yeah I think so. For us it's kind of useless unless people split the cost.

Imagine cheapest would be 100-150, mid range but good view prob around 250-300 then anything near the front can forget about it.

Thats a very rough estimation of me going off my s**t memory from Rob/Gastelum which ended up being Izzy/Silva, don't quote me.

Are you based in SA and need flights/accommodation? I'd be checking packages now on sites like Expedia if you do. Was kinda the tipping point of me not going.

Yeah I think so. For us it's kind of useless unless people split the cost.

Imagine cheapest would be 100-150, mid range but good view prob around 250-300 then anything near the front can forget about it.

Thats a very rough estimation of me going off my s**t memory from Rob/Gastelum which ended up being Izzy/Silva, don't quote me.

Are you based in SA and need flights/accommodation? I'd be checking packages now on sites like Expedia if you do. Was kinda the tipping point of me not going.
Flights yes, might be okay for accommodation. I am guessing its getting expensive to fly because of the event?

Theyve always tried to do this presale charge malarkey. Ive never had an issue getting tickets before without joining that. Even the first one in Sydney

Theyve always tried to do this presale charge malarkey. Ive never had an issue getting tickets before without joining that. Even the first one in Sydney
I reckon it is $85 USD as well. Not gonna bother, that is just too much and still not guaranteed a ticket.

I reckon it is $85 USD as well. Not gonna bother, that is just too much and still not guaranteed a ticket.
Perths a pain, i doubt eastern side travel in their 1000s for it. Only issue i have is wanting 6 tix together but we'll take what we can get. I think you'll get your tix easy enough without that presale

Remove this Banner Ad

Back