MMA-UFC UFC 284 - Makhachev v Volkanovski

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't help but wonder if there's anything in what Bobby Green was insinuating about that whole story Islam being fed 'vitamins' as a kid.

Because he really does seem like a 'monster' with the strength of someone 30kg's heaver.

Granted the source isn't the best, but if there's any truth to it - plenty of countries/teams have been well documented in the past as having top secret 'athlete farms' for Olympics etc. Russia, China, East Germany

Going off on a massive tangent here and i'll probably cop it for conspiricising but..

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
We haven't had a Dana bashing session for a while have we? His lack of promotion of the highest level fight we've seen for years (if not ever), as a promoter, has been unbelievable. I saw a comment on Reddit asking "can a promoter be washed?" Yes, yes they can. 2023 has started horribly for Dana, but his petulant dismissal of this fight, for whatever nonsense reason he has for doing so, is beyond any defence.

As it gets closer and closer I can't stop asking myself the question, what if Volk can get it done? He can get there in the future with FW domination, but a win over Islam puts Volk at a level rarely seen before in Australian combat sports. Hard to concentrate on anything else this week.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
We haven't had a Dana bashing session for a while have we? His lack of promotion of the highest level fight we've seen for years (if not ever), as a promoter, has been unbelievable. I saw a comment on Reddit asking "can a promoter be washed?" Yes, yes they can. 2023 has started horribly for Dana, but his petulant dismissal of this fight, for whatever nonsense reason he has for doing so, is beyond any defence.

As it gets closer and closer I can't stop asking myself the question, what if Volk can get it done? He can get there in the future with FW domination, but a win over Islam puts Volk at a level rarely seen before in Australian combat sports. Hard to concentrate on anything else this week.
Mate if people havent learned by now Dana and the UFC want no part of promoting fights/fighters, but only promoting the UFC, i dont know what to tell you.

They are 2 completely different things. UFC promoting fighters would give them power which takes away UFC leverage. They are simply playing moneyball. How little can they spend to make the most profit. All it is

Look at the weekends card and the upcoming Blanchfield one. Deplorable, but they get their ESPN money and DGAF. Dana counts his millions, travels the world, and chills. Nothing more now.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

I feel the same. Volk gets inside and cracks Islam I hope .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone else heard Oliveira been flown out as Islam as struggling with the cut?
Haven't heard about any weight cut issues but it's obviously always tough for the bigger guys.
I'm very keen on a backup fighter. Don't care who.
Question is - If Islam missed weight would they strip him as they did to Charles?...

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Haven't heard about any weight cut issues but it's obviously always tough for the bigger guys.
I'm very keen on a backup fighter. Don't care who.
Question is - If Islam missed weight would they strip him as they did to Charles?...
Just be interim at a guess. Likely wont matter, all ive seen is one supposed Bisping quote and no one else heard of it...

1675825495828.png

So they gonna fly out a guy who missed weight with a full camp as backup on a weeks notice.

Yeah don't reckon.
Well he is over in Perth apparently

1675826238144.png

Promoting wise I think the UFC cut their losses on this when they couldn't have at least Whittaker on the card. Tuivasa would have been great too but too soon from his stoppage loss in December. I like some of the other fights but by international/mainstream standard there's only 1 decent fight on the card.

It's hard to get decent fights down here and ones we get end up falling apart :/

Perth fans will show and create a great atmosphere but I'm curious what this event does ppv numbers.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
What's everyone's thoughts on the co main?
Yair to easily outclass him with Emmetts only hope being that one punch ko?

Neither of them interest me v volk anyway. Cejudo is the one that I hope gets the 135 belt and fights Volk, the rest of the division are all so far behind Max
Yeh basically all of this.

What's everyone's thoughts on the co main?
Yair to easily outclass him with Emmetts only hope being that one punch ko?

Neither of them interest me v volk anyway. Cejudo is the one that I hope gets the 135 belt and fights Volk, the rest of the division are all so far behind Max

145 is a weird division. I'd favour Volk heavily against any of the top 10. Topuria I think might be the next big thing in that division, but he just fought and is still a few fights away from being in the conversation.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Yair has a bit of X-factor but doesn't seem the one to take out Volk. Topuria and Allen have both looked excellent and are young, and Topuria does have the ideal mix of elite grappling with crisp striking and most importantly, legitimate knockout power.

Plenty to play out on Sunday, but 145 still looks Volk's all over if that's where he stays.

Back