UFC buys WFA contracts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Furious One

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2002
Altona South
This was bound to happen sooner or later, so my lack of faith in the WFA running another show was warranted.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=3959

Las Vegas, NV – A subsidiary of Zuffa, LLC, which owns the Ultimate Fighting Championship® brand, announced today that it acquired select assets from the World Fighting Alliance (WFA) organization. WFA Enterprises, LLC, a subsidiary of Zuffa, purchased select fighter contracts and the trademarks and other intellectual property of World Fighting Alliance, Inc., a corporation owned by Las Vegas attorneys, Ross Goodman and Louis Palazzo. The acquisition further solidifies Zuffa as the preeminent fight promoter in the world and infuses the organization with more of the world’s top MMA fighters.

Dana White, UFC President and Zuffa co-owner said, “Zuffa is committed to giving our fans the best fights between the best fighters in the world. This acquisition helps us continue fulfilling that goal.” White also said, “Goodman and Palazzo were working towards building a strong promotion. But bringing the WFA fighters into the Zuffa family is the best thing that could happen for the fighters – and for the fans.”

The WFA organization held four events, the most recent in July at the L.A. Forum with a solid fight card that was shown on pay-per-view television. “This is an exciting time for MMA as evidenced by the 60 Minutes story last night and we are glad that the WFA has played a leading role,” said Ross Goodman, President of the WFA. “This business opportunity presented itself and it made sense for everybody to make this transition.”

Under the terms of the purchase, World Fighting Alliance, Inc. will cease all operations.

This is good for MMA in general. I'm really hoping that Rampage will be fighting in the UFC very soon. A possible re-match against Liddell if he goes through Ortiz later this month? Also, this would mean Heath Herring is now under UFC contract. I really hope he gets a shot at Sylvia before Vera for the title.

This is great news, Its so frustrating seeing guys like Rampage,Mayhem,Herring fighting once in a blue moon. I wonder if they are taking the contracts as they are or re-negotiating. Rampage would be on big money.

WAR CRAZY HORSE!

I’m very excited about the possibility of seeing Herring in the octagon. He had some great battles in PRIDE and was at one time arguably number one or two in the world at heavyweight. These are exciting times for MMA with the UFC purchasing these contracts and I really do hope that Mayhems contract (if it is valid) has been brought too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back