MMA-UFC UFC Fight Night / UFC on Fox Events

Remove this Banner Ad

s**t!!!

That KO was nasty as hell, that first follow up shot on the ground was a bomb!

no idea. first time watching him fight just thought it was uncalled for you ko the bloke no need to taunt him when he is down

Yep, hopefully he's on the end of a KO himself in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh, I have no problem with the Brunson/Hall stoppage. Then again, I wanted to see Hall lose so maybe I'm not the best to ask. Some people who wanted him to lose might have wanted to see him take more punishment, but I'm not that terrible.

The funny thing is that the only thing that really landed was the left on the feet. The follow up ground and pound either completely missed or didn't land very cleanly at all. The way Hall went down looked like it was going to be one of those brutal one punch KOs. Just the way he flopped looked terrible. He was pretty lucky that the fence was there because otherwise the back of his head would have hit the mat really hard.

You can make the argument that it was early, but I think that it could have gone either way.

Now hopefully the overhyping of Hall stops. I see people saying "if he can fix his mental issues he'll be a beast". Alright. How about his technical issues? He's meant to be some amazing striker and yet he's been walking into that left hand his entire career. Weidman dropped him with it way back and he's clearly never fixed that issue.

I'm guilty in believing he was some amazing striker. You look back at what he did on TUF and you think why did we think he was good? Pretty much always happens with TUF and we never learn. The KO of Cella was amazing, but it was against a very average opponent. His KO of McDaniel was impressive, but it only lasted 8 seconds. He hurt Andrews with punches off of his back. I was impressed with that at the time, but really what it showed was that Andrews doesn't have a good chin at all.

Big win for Johnson. Didn't think he'd win like that. Poirier's attempted uppercut at that stage wasn't a great idea and Johnson made him pay. Johnson was way quicker than Poirier and that played a part.

The way Hall started the fight was the best thing. He must have come into this fight thinking I can't be inactive. So what does he do? Walks straight into Brunson's clinch. Brunson's got some big power in his hands. His last two losses were to Romero in a great fight and to Jacare very early in his career. I'll be looking forward to seeing him fight again. All this success on the feet might hurt him at some stage though. He's not the most technical striker and leaves himself wide open when he attacks sometimes. He might get too confident and walk himself into a KO.

I see that Dunham/Glenn got FOTN. It was pretty good, but Glenn was largely a punching bag in there. Really impressive how tough Glenn was, but Dunham beat him up pretty badly in every round. Dunham's striking has looked good lately.

I enjoyed Makhachev/Wade a lot more than Dunham/Glenn. Really fun back and forth grappling. Makhachev's style is a bit different to the other Dagestani guys in the UFC. He's a great wrestler. On the mat he fights a lot more like a BJJ guy than say Nurmagomedov does.

Weird stuff always happens in Blanco's fights. This was weird and awesome. Both attempted weird kicks and then Skelly chokes him out. All that in 19 seconds.

Muhammad's first UFC fight with Jouban was amazing. This one wasn't as fun, but he was winning comfortably and then got the finish. He's a nice technical fighter. Smooth striking, nice takedowns and nice grappling on the mat. Look forward to seeing him fight again.

s**t!!!

That KO was nasty as hell, that first follow up shot on the ground was a bomb!

I haven't seen a lot of him fight but in the highlights beforehand he certainly showed some vicious GnP, good hard shots. Bit of a floggish effort taunting after it but ah well, it's not pillow fighting.

And I had no real issue with the Uriah stoppage, may have been a tad early but he got smashed by a great punch, I've seen worse stoppages. I wonder if the ref called it because of how brutal the punch was rather than seeing how Hall was after it, that would have put many guys out cold.

I thought the Hall stoppage was definitely a little early, none of the follow up really landed. I know people often say they prefer the early stoppages, but you've gotta give him a chance to recover.

Saw some talk of a possible short turnaround for Brunson to fight against Whittaker on the Melbourne card. He's the only guy not booked inside the top 10, aside from Anderson, so it's a chance if Brunson is willing. Real danger fight for Whittaker, but a win over Brunson in the form he is in would be a legit scalp.

I was thinking about the Hall stoppage some more. Watched it again too. I still feel the same way. A decent stoppage that you could argue against if you want imo.

Brunson could have easily made it a non-issue with that ground and pound. I remember someone talking about ground and pound a while ago. They said they think that fighters focus on everything else and assume ground and pound will just work when they need it. I think that's probably quite true with a lot of fighters. Hall didn't do much to make Brunson miss with his ground and pound. Brunson somehow missed every strike he threw on the ground when Hall was barely conscious.

Someone who would have definitely put Hall away with ground and pound in the same situation that Brunson found himself in, is Anderson Silva. He's someone who clearly worked a lot on his ground and pound, especially after hurting and dropping someone. He did it in such a controlled and masterful fashion. He dropped Belfort with that front kick and then the follow up strikes were brutal and at the same time very measured. His ground striking in the fight with Okami is probably the best example. His ground striking was sublime against Henderson and Marquardt too. Really it's something that doesn't get mentioned often enough when talking about how good Anderson Silva was.

Another fighter who is very effective with ground striking after dropping someone is Vitor Belfort. His couldn't be more different than Anderson's though. Belfort just goes wild and throws the kitchen sink at you. A punch or two to the back of the head will likely happen. Anderson's appears like it's been learned through repetition in training a lot more than Belfort's has.

Got my tickets for the Melbourne one. I'm in the upper section, the $100 tickets but didn't want to spend much for this one. Spent double that at Etihad and couldn't see anything as I was on the ground so i reckon I'll have a half decent view at this one at least.

Cyborg said on the mma our today she has 25 pounds to cut in 4 days.. no way she can make weight surely.
She'll probably make weight. It's just whether it'll be a safe cut and whether it'll have her in good condition come fight time.

Sonnen apparently had to drop 20 pounds in a day at least one time. Dolce was saying that it's better because that way you only feel like crap on one day instead of for a week. Other people will feel differently. I don't know what's best. All I know is that this s**t isn't good at all, but clearly some ways are better and safer than others.

I really don't know what the point is in making her cut down to 140. She's been on a PPV main card and now she's headlining a card. The UFC think she offers quite a bit. No doubt the UFC expect her to beat Lansberg convincingly, and Lansberg's not well known. It could be against pretty much anyone at 145. Invicta found opponents for her at 145. The UFC could too. It's so pointless having her fight at 140.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back