MMA-UFC UFC Fight Night / UFC on Fox Events

Remove this Banner Ad

How far can Gaethje go in the UFC with that style? He was rocked like 3 times in that fight..

My tips are stuffed LOL

What an incredible fight. No loser there those guys showed so much ******* heart

Lot of brutal Griffin/Bonnar like swinging there.

Johnson had nothing in the tank. Wouldn't have blamed him for chucking it in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man Gaethje really wants some of this
images

gaethje wants ferguson next
Although I would prefer Khabib fight it's smart from Gaethje. Fergy eats some shots too which could give him some openings. Would catapult him into contender status aswell. I actually think Barboza would be a good test and a great fight with the openings Gaethje presents. Alvarez might be another option that I think Gaethje matches up well against if the Poirier fight doesn't happen. I have my doubts about how far he can go but we can see some really entertaining fights with him in the division.

Lightweight such a deep division.

Although I would prefer Khabib fight it's smart from Gaethje. Fergy eats some shots too which could give him some openings. Would catapult him into contender status aswell. I actually think Barboza would be a good test and a great fight with the openings Gaethje presents. Alvarez might be another option that I think Gaethje matches up well against if the Poirier fight doesn't happen. I have my doubts about how far he can go but we can see some really entertaining fights with him in the division.

Lightweight such a deep division.
said he is happy to fight anyone but if he gets to pick he wants ferguson who he says is the worlds best

I dunno I reckon khabib would be a smarter choice. Johnson beat ferguson, gathje beats Johnson. Conor wants to hand khabib his first loss imagine if undefeated Gathje beats him to it. Having said all that though those top 3: Conor, khabib and tony are all on a different level

Gaethje is the most entertaining fighter in MMA right now. His fights in WSOF were ridiculous. There was a big question mark over how he'd fare against some top lightweights in the UFC given his style.

This was a tough match-up for Gaethje and he did what he usually does. I haven't watched his past fights in some time, but I'm pretty sure he got hurt worse against Johnson than in those other fights. That's to be expected and the fact that his chin held up against huge shots from Johnson is a good sign. Obviously if he keeps fighting like this he's ****ed when his chin fails him. Lightweight weirdly doesn't have too many power punchers, so being able to take clean shots from Johnson means he's every chance of taking them from everyone else as long as his chin remains solid.

I thought Johnson would probably start better. As it turned out Gaethje started really well and was clearly on top until Johnson cracked him. Before that I thought Gaethje was on his way to wearing Johnson down and it was only a matter of time before Johnson wilted under the pressure Gaethje was bringing. Johnson turned it around with that huge shot and then took control for a while. It just seemed like if Johnson couldn't get Gaethje out of there, then Gaethje was going to keep coming when Johnson couldn't/wouldn't.

Gaethje's low kicks are an underappreciated weapon of his. I really like how he throws them at times that nobody else in MMA would. He had Johnson hurt and covering up against the fence. Instead of throwing punches that might get blocked, he threw really heavy low kicks that were pretty much guaranteed to land. His low kicks are brutal and were really adding up in the fight. Johnson's leg wasn't in great shape by the end of the fight.

I'm really look forward to Gaethje's next fight. He might get knocked out but if not he's going to keep pushing forward.

How good was the main event. Has to be front runner for fight of the year at this stage. I might be forgetting something tho..

What were the other fights like? I only seen the main due to being out and having to use my precious data.
I can't think of any other fight that good this year either. Usually there's a really great fight very early in the year but there wasn't one this year. FOTY contenders have been lacking this year.

Some fights I'd definitely watch are Taylor/Lima, Klose/Diakiese, Cannonier/Roehrick and Torres/Lima. None of the other fights are terrible or anything, but outside of these 4 fights and the main event, the rest of the card isn't that great.

I can't think of any other fight that good this year either. Usually there's a really great fight very early in the year but there wasn't one this year. FOTY contenders have been lacking this year.

Some fights I'd definitely watch are Taylor/Lima, Klose/Diakiese, Cannonier/Roehrick and Torres/Lima. None of the other fights are terrible or anything, but outside of these 4 fights and the main event, the rest of the card isn't that great.
Cool. Thanks mate!

Rewatched the main event. Gaethje was actually pretty good defensively, certainly better than he has been previously. Johnson hurt him badly a couple of times, but outside of that Gaethje did a good job of either avoiding strikes or at least not taking the full force of them. Gaethje was no worse defensively than Johnson, probably quite a bit better actually. The fight was so frenetic that they were going to get hit and Gaethje did as well as one could defensively in that sort of a fight.

Maybe this is hyperbolic given it's still the day of the fight but I think that's one of the best fights in MMA history. I suppose only going for 2 rounds hurts it compared to some fights that tell a story over 5 rounds. At the very least, it has two of the best individual rounds in MMA history; both rounds were amazing.

Gaethje landed 104 strikes at 10.61 per minute and Johnson landed 91 at 9.29. Madness.

I think Gaethje could beat anyone at LW in the UFC after seeing that. Johnson was one of the worst match-ups for him. McGregor might be a worse match-up, but that's about it. Ferguson could beat Gaethje but I don't think he's a worse style match-up for him than Johnson. Gaethje's swarming forward style plays right into the strengths of Johnson. Ferguson wants to come forward like Gaethje, so it'd come down to who can do that more often and more effectively. Ferguson/RDA was fairly similar. This is overly simplistic but Ferguson won because he was moving forward more than RDA was. Nurmagomedov's not that bad of a match-up for Gaethje. Maybe Nurmagomedov does what he always does to everyone, but Gaethje's got a better shot at keeping it standing and battering Nurmagomedov than most others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back