MMA-UFC UFC Fight Night / UFC on Fox Events

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty good story Taylor's. After he got kicked out of the Ultimate Fighter he was fighting shows in Aus.
He did a lot of training and seminars here too, he's grown up a lot from that season and he's a real genuine and humble guy today.

I was chatting with guys from training yesterday about when he did a seminar at our gym and this gave us a chuckle.: Always remember the time when he was here in Perth recovering from getting kicked off TUF for being a drunk and after training first thing Vic (resident old nutter) does is offer him a beer :tearsofjoy:

I dunno I reckon khabib would be a smarter choice. Johnson beat ferguson, gathje beats Johnson. Conor wants to hand khabib his first loss imagine if undefeated Gathje beats him to it. Having said all that though those top 3: Conor, khabib and tony are all on a different level
Gathje vs Nate Diaz would be awesome.

Gaethje/Diaz would be amazing. Somehow I didn't think about Diaz when mentioning bad match-ups for Gaethje. That'd be a pretty bad one for him too. Johnson, McGregor and Diaz are all really tough stylistic match-ups for him. Gaethje's low kicks would be a huge weapon against Diaz though. McGregor chopped away at Diaz's leg, and Gaethje's low kicks are a lot cleaner and harder. Land a bunch of them early and he's on his way to winning against a hobbled Diaz.

Nelson needs to make some changes if he's to make his way higher up the division. He's naturally talented, seems to work hard, and is pretty athletic, but his game is too hit and miss.

The biggest issue is his striking defence. It's terrible and it doesn't make much sense for it to be so bad. He doesn't throw many strikes (another big issue for him), prefers to stay at a long range and is fast. His striking defence is 51%. These numbers don't always tell the whole story but with Nelson they do. Gaethje's striking defence was 54% against Johnson. Gaethje relentlessly moves forward while throwing 6000 strikes and he avoided more strikes percentage wise than Nelson has in his UFC career. Nelson's striking defence of 51% includes strikes on the ground. I had a quick look and when you take out ground strikes Nelson's striking defence on the feet (distance and clinch) is 54%. It improves a bit but it's still really bad for someone who fights like he does.

Nelson doesn't have a sound process. It's pretty remarkable the success he's had, and it's built entirely on dynamic offence. He does nothing for long stretches and then all of a sudden he has an amazing burst of offence. He surprises opponents with fast punches out of nowhere or shoots in for a nice takedown. He's great once the fight hits the mat and he has a good takedown game. Seems to me that he'd be well served if he looked to wrestle more. He has to work out a way to throw more strikes on the feet and become more defensively sound. That's tough but I think he'd do quite well if he threw more strikes that he has no intention of landing, or just feinted more, in order to set up his takedowns until he fixes his issues on the feet.

I picked Ponzinibbio. I wasn't really sure who'd win but I trust Ponzinibbio's game a lot more. It's a bit like the Romero/Whittaker fight. I trusted Whittaker's game more but ended up picking Romero under the assumption that he'd land some amazing strike. This time I went with who I trusted more and that was Ponzinibbio. I thought he'd win rounds and get a late finish. He's a really underappreciated fighter. Has a really nice boxing game and his takedown defence has gotten a lot better since he made his UFC debut. There are a lot of interesting fights for him towards the top of the WW division. Masvidal (ATT teammate) or RDA are a couple that come to mind, and Condit too. Condit's still ranked but I have no idea if he's fighting again.

Rivera looking the goods early.

Almeida showing some of the same issues he has in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I'm any kind of expert but I feel like every time Bermudez left his feet in say a flying knee/kick he sorta just bounced off Elkins and got opened up for clinches and takedowns. I think if he stayed on his feet moving around picking punches he probably would have won the fight.

There's something I really like about gastelum. Seems to always have a bit of an underdog feel about him. Having said that I tipped Weidman. Hometown crowd advantage although that hasn't been an issue for kelvin in the past
Haha I'm a bit of the opposite. I tipped Gas, but I hope Weidman gives a good account of himself against Weedman. Weidman has done pretty well in the last three fights but has just been wiped out swiftly in each of them. Gastelum's formline is nowhere near as impressive as the guys Weidman has been fighting but unfortunately I'm worried that Weidman has taken too much damage..

There's something I really like about gastelum. Seems to always have a bit of an underdog feel about him. Having said that I tipped Weidman. Hometown crowd advantage although that hasn't been an issue for kelvin in the past
And on the other hand, Weidman has lost his past 3, and the last two were in New York.

Has a massive size advantage over Kelvin.

I picked Gastelum but there is so many unknowns in this fight. Should be fun.

I like Weidman, would be tough to see him cop 4 L's in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back