MMA-UFC UFC Fight Night / UFC on Fox Events

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Yep that's why I bet on him, was a big step up in class for Pedro I though. Shame for him though, seems like a good guy, I think he has some holes in his game, particularly in the striking department. (I haven't seen a replay of the fight yet)
I thought he looked dangerous in the stand-up. Pedro ****ed up trying to get the fight to the ground with such a tricky grappler.

I thought he looked dangerous in the stand-up. Pedro ****** up trying to get the fight to the ground with such a tricky grappler.
He has definitely made massive leaps. Looked very crisp standing.

Pedro is a BJJ guy first and foremost and I assume clinching against the cage to tire OSP out and trying for takedowns must have been the original game plan, but when you land two nice head kicks and drop someone with a straight down the pipe, surely an on the fly adjustment needs to be made.

Oh well, will be a good lesson for him. Still fairly inexperienced in terms of in ring time.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
He has definitely made massive leaps. Looked very crisp standing.

Pedro is a BJJ guy first and foremost and I assume clinching against the cage to tire OSP out and trying for takedowns must have been the original game plan, but when you land two nice head kicks and drop someone with a straight down the pipe, surely an on the fly adjustment needs to be made.

Oh well, will be a good lesson for him. Still fairly inexperienced in terms of in ring time.

That's good to hear, i'll have to dig up the replay. And yeah was surprised to see he got subbed being a very good grappler imo, sounds like he got subbed while stunned from the strikes though.

That's good to hear, i'll have to dig up the replay. And yeah was surprised to see he got subbed being a very good grappler imo, sounds like he got subbed while stunned from the strikes though.
Nah, Pedro went for the clinch takedown and landed on bottom .. a bit of GnP and OSP muscled a wristlock armbar.

https://streamja.com/zPvB

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah, Pedro went for the clinch takedown and landed on bottom .. a bit of GnP and OSP muscled a wristlock armbar.

https://streamja.com/zPvB

Cheers, I just found the full fight. Pedro was looking good, got on the wrong end of that takedown unfortunately, that one mistake seemed to cost him. Like you said it seemed to be brute strength that got him that arm rather than a particularly good setup.

Soo gutted Pedro missed a golden opportunity. :(

Hindsight says as soon as OSP's head popped out of the guillotine Tyson should've backed off and kept it a standing contest with a wobbled opponent.

Oh well.. I don't see his stocks dropping at all from that performance. He'll get another big test.
26 years old, 9th pro fight and after making his debut in 2013, all other fights have come since March 2016.

His ceiling is still very very high IMO. This will just be a blip.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Adesanya is super good.

Just completely outclassed a top 10 vet in Brad Tavares
I wasn’t quite sold on his hype from his first 2 ufc fights but I have to admit he looked really good today. Very impressed with his takedown defence. You can see during the fight he has massive confidence in abilities and is willingness to try some crazy s**t. I didn’t rear the post fight interview. Did he call anyone out?

I wasn’t quite sold on his hype from his first 2 ufc fights but I have to admit he looked really good today. Very impressed with his takedown defence. You can see during the fight he has massive confidence in abilities and is willingness to try some crazy s**t. I didn’t rear the post fight interview. Did he call anyone out?
Winner of Costa v Hall tomorrow.

Not sure I'd want him fighting Costa.. no need to kill off a contender, unless the winner is getting a title shot.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
The Costa/Hall winner was the first opponent I had in mind for Israel next. Both are strikers and are more dangerous finishers than Tavares. I was very impressed with how Israel did yesterday with a very solid vet opposite him. I can definitely see him fighting for the title in the next 12 months.

The two finale fights to decide the TUF winners were pretty dull. Katona put a beating on Jay but seemed content to cruise to a decision. He's a very good prospect with a high fight IQ, but I'd like to see him with a bit more of a killer instinct. Mike and Joe's fight was odd. 3/4 of round 2 was spent with neither guy able to do anything other than elbow the other guys butt and round 3 with the fight likely locked at 1-1, Joe decides it's a good idea to back up along the fence, clown around and let Mike hit him. I don't get that approach at all, but I do think he's a much better prospect than Mike. Jimmy Smith said he reminded him of a Diaz brother and that was the first thing I thought when watching him fight too with a bit of Bruce Leeroy mixed in with his kicking style.

Was happy to see "Violent Bob Ross" (possibly my favourite nickname ever) get a second shot and impress. I think he'll be a real handful in a few years time. He's incredibly long for the weight class, has very good striking and looks to have a sneaky good ground game. Smullen was talked up all season as a beast on the ground and Pena had no trouble putting him away there. Would like to see him get a crack at Trizano next as I think he'd have won the show if he hadn't gotten injured.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just served a 2 week suspension cause i copied a harmless post from a club board and posted it in bay13. Nothing in it, but apparently against a rule. The 1 point warning took me to 10 = 2 weeks...Anyway with that cleared up...

Just jumped on fightpass again. If i only watch the two events below it will be well worth it.

Just starting now
upload_2018-7-15_8-1-24.png

upload_2018-7-15_8-1-50.png

This in a fortnight
upload_2018-7-15_8-3-37.png

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
The MMA media a funny bunch. I mean, no eyebrows are raised after getting a tko win after being suspended for 2 years because of Roids...mind boggling to me.

The MMA media a funny bunch. I mean, no eyebrows are raised after getting a tko win after being suspended for 2 years because of Roids...mind boggling to me.
To be fair, his story of psoriasis cream was fairly legit. He had a prescription, it had the substance as a key ingredient, the quantity made sense and his skin is pretty bad.

He could have been using it as a built in excuse but it is plausible enough for mine, especially considering he owned it and took the punishment on the chin. My eyebrows did raise a little that he didn't apply for a retroactive use exemption like Cyborg about a year back though.

Also, everyone seems to have forgiven Ortega and he admitted to willingly and consciously cheating.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Geez this dude has had a knife in his heart. Tipping you aren't intimidating him.

Win in sambo over Fedor. Only loss in MMA is to Volkov.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Did nobody watch the card from Hamburg yesterday? I got home late but have managed to get through most of the main card. The Tybura/Struve fight was a bit meh and I haven't finished the Anderson/Glover fight yet (I do know the outcome and pretty much know what I'm going to get from here) but the rest of the main card was pretty good. Haqparast looks like a very nice prospect at only 22. He completely stifled Diakiese's offense and marked him up pretty badly by the end of the fight. I enjoyed the Roberts/Zawada fight too. Plenty of great scrambles in that one.

I haven't seen the full fight but have seen the end of the main event. I hate seeing legends going out like that and hope that Shogun hangs them up soon.

Back