Middleweight Cezar Ferreira vs. Caio Magalhães
Welterweight Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos vs. Omari Akhmedov

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
This is actually a pretty good match-up for JDS. Rothwell's big and slow and should be there to be hit for a while, and Rothwell isn't going to look to wrestle much, if at all. I'm hoping JDS knocks him out early because JDS has taken enough damage. Rothwell's really tough though, so maybe the most likely way JDS wins is by decision. I just have a feeling that Rothwell will catch JDS with something at some stage and knock him out.

There are a lot of HW fights on this card. So it's very likely either going to be great or terrible. Not much middle ground for HW fights.

Dignan

All Australian
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
76ers
Will record and watch after work.

dos Santos' chin looked pretty bad against Overeem from memory, can definitely see Rothwell getting the win by KO.

Haven't ever seen a fair few of the fighters on this card in all honesty, so not coming in with any real expectations.

This is actually a pretty good match-up for JDS. Rothwell's big and slow and should be there to be hit for a while, and Rothwell isn't going to look to wrestle much, if at all. I'm hoping JDS knocks him out early because JDS has taken enough damage. Rothwell's really tough though, so maybe the most likely way JDS wins is by decision. I just have a feeling that Rothwell will catch JDS with something at some stage and knock him out.

There are a lot of HW fights on this card. So it's very likely either going to be great or terrible. Not much middle ground for HW fights.
nailed it!

I only caught the main event.
Juniors footwork and his ability to stay at the perfect range was really impressive. He had the perfect gameplay by jabing the body and mixing it up to the head.

Rothwell looked slow and basically had zero offence at distance and he was extreamly ineffective at closing it, which wasn't helped by his body being punished.

I admit I was suckered into the Rothwell hype and expected him to be able to at least land the one power shot that was needed.

I still don't have much confidence in Dos Santos winning against the best in the division as Werdum, Velasquez, Overeem and Stipe arnt flat footed and will be able to fight effectively at the same range junior fought at.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
what happened? I'm gunna catch up on the card tonight..

Was a great round. Both guys rocked, bloodied and wanting more.

Didn't catch the end of the main event due to my foxtel recording cutting out, but it was pretty clear what was going to happen. I tipped Junior to win by decision in the tipping comp and expected he'd try to fight how he did againt the last massive, lumbering type he faced (Carwin). He fought a very smart fight and his boxing looked crisp and sharp as ever. Rothwell looked in over his head when his herky-jerky, stance switching style didn't confuse Junior and couldn't find the answer to his lack of speed.

Lewis did very well aginst Gonzaga, although I get the feeling it'll be the last time we see Gonzaga in the cage. Lewis has looked kind of chinny in a few of his fights and I expected Gabe to take him down early, exploit his groung game and pound him out quickly. Lewis did much better on the ground than I expected he would with a huge BJJ blackbelt on him and his hands looked faster than I remembered in the fight ending combo.

There was a big of hype on Blayes coming in and he didn't look bad, but I was super impressed with Ngannou again. He looks so calm for a guy who's only been training for three years and his strength and punching power look to be devestating. I'd like to see him take a slow route for now, but think with a few more years under his belt I think he'll find himself near the top of the division.

Cannonier and Taisumov landed great fight ending combo's on the undercard and Stasiak just destroyed the local kid in the fox prelims opener.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2007
Vegas
AFL Club
Collingwood
Recorded and watched just now after work today.
Dos Santos is one of my favourite fighters - he fought the right fight against Rothwell. Personally I think he has another run in him.
Geez "The Black Beast" what a weapon that knockout was power. Want to see what he can do against a top 10 opponent.

Looking forward to this weekend Texiera vs Evans and Machida vs Henderson.
Good start times as well Sunday morning leading into the footy.
A day on the couch this Sunday it is.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
JDS looked the best we seen him since his Cain beatings, looked more trim too. i say all top 10 Hw have a run in them but before today JDS looked like retirement was the only thing i was hoping for, but looks like he has recovered I dont know who you match him up agaisnt though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 6, 2007
Vegas
AFL Club
Collingwood
JDS looked the best we seen him since his Cain beatings, looked more trim too. i say all top 10 Hw have a run in them but before today JDS looked like retirement was the only thing i was hoping for, but looks like he has recovered I dont know who you match him up agaisnt though

Agreed.

Will be interesting to see who he fights next.

Doubt it will be any of Werdrum, Miocic, Velasquez or Overeem.

Could be a Mark Hunt/Josh Barnett

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

Was about to write this. JDS looked like the old Dos Santos...you know, Before cain took 10 years of his life. Crisp boxing skills...in and out...power and speed. I hope its a sign of things to come

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Was about to write this. JDS looked like the old Dos Santos...you know, Before cain took 10 years of his life. Crisp boxing skills...in and out...power and speed. I hope its a sign of things to come
If I was a match maker I'd be looking to match him against hunt and put him in a title eliminator after that. Plenty of time we only see a title fight every couple of years these days becoming like the Olympics lol.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Arlovski makes sense for JDS next. He beat Hunt not all that long ago don't forget. Realistically, the best thing to happen for him is for Cain to not regain the belt as he has wins over most of the rest of the top 10 already and rematches would be easy sells. A Cain/JDS 4 fight doesn't make too much sense.

Dignan

All Australian
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
76ers
Well, I thought Rothwell was a good chance to eventually clip him well enough to put him out. Evidently not. I also thought JDS was pretty close to done before this one, so I'm 0 for 2. Was good to see him put in such an impressive performance anyway.

Cummings was pretty good against Dalby on the prelim card, goes to 4-1 in the UFC with his only loss to Gunnar Nelson. I see Taisumov picked up a performance of the night bonus (second straight), interested to see what he can do against a higher quality opponent.

Stanciu looked decent in her UFC debut, very raw but definitely has a future.

Gotta love Blaydes' heart, but I did laugh a little when the doctor asked him to grab his finger and all he could do was snatch at air. Liked the look of Ngannou in that fight, too.

This weekend's fights look solid, even with Ferguson out.

Didn't realise Correia has her first post-Rousey fight on this card, too.

Edit: And Dodson's first since his loss to Mighty Mouse on fight pass.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
From the fights on the card I'm probably most interested in the Beneil Dariush vs. Michael Chiesa fight. Both of them are promising guys with huge potential, it's almost a shame that one of them will get a loss on their record but it's not a bad time to record one at this stage of their careers.

Agreed, think that should be a good fight between two good, young up and comers.

Swanson/Dias and Namajunas/Torres also interest me, particularly the Swanson/Dias fight. I always enjoy Cub's fights and Dias keeps showing flashes of being a very good fighter without ever really doing more than he needs to. Hoping he finally realises his potential and has a war with Swanson.

Trying to catch up on Zagreb but have only just been able to fit in the main event tonight.

I spose I haven't seen many HW bouts, but haven't seen such a dominant fight gone this distance where the winner was in front so early.

Great smart performance from JDS, loved the Sparta kick towards the end of the round :D Rothwell was so buggered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back