MMA-UFC UFC Fight Night / UFC on Fox Events

Remove this Banner Ad

What was that decision earlier in the night? Can't remember the guys names, but fighter couldn't finish the fight but still took the decision win. Never seen that before.
Yeah that was interesting.
Guy copped a knee to the groin about 1 min into the third and he couldn't continue. I think because the fight was past halfway they could go to the score cards and get the scores from rounds 1 and 2 and also the partial score from round 3. The guy that took the nut shot basically gambled and said he couldn't continue, and he ended up getting the W in a split decision. Both guys (HW's) were absolutely spent so probably pretty happy that it ended.

Missed the card yesterday, how did Rob look? Clear cut decision (obviously would have loved a finish).
Rob looked fantastic. Mixed up his attacks, was dangerous on the front and the back foot, wrestling was very solid.

Ate a few good punches but managed to get out of danger on several occasions.

Had good energy for all five rounds, didn't even bother going too conservative in the final rounds even though he knew he was ahead.

As I wrote in the other thread though, the same things which made him too good for Gastelum, make him a sitting duck for Israel.

It was basically Gastelum being too short (height / arms) to get inside, had to lunge, and was picked apart.

That's what Israel did to Rob 18 months or so ago, and what I expect will happen again.

In saying that, Rob's wrestling was impressive, as was the other Aussie dude's (in an earlier fight on the card).

After what Polish Power did to Israel, maybe Rob comes in with a smarter gameplan for fight #2.

If so, it could be an all-time classic. Rob fought foolishly the first time around, may have learned a few lessons since then.

But if he tries to rush Israel with fists again, I don't see it ending well.

Rob looked fantastic. Mixed up his attacks, was dangerous on the front and the back foot, wrestling was very solid.

Ate a few good punches but managed to get out of danger on several occasions.

Had good energy for all five rounds, didn't even bother going too conservative in the final rounds even though he knew he was ahead.

As I wrote in the other thread though, the same things which made him too good for Gastelum, make him a sitting duck for Israel.

It was basically Gastelum being too short (height / arms) to get inside, had to lunge, and was picked apart.

That's what Israel did to Rob 18 months or so ago, and what I expect will happen again.

In saying that, Rob's wrestling was impressive, as was the other Aussie dude's (in an earlier fight on the card).

After what Polish Power did to Israel, maybe Rob comes in with a smarter gameplan for fight #2.

If so, it could be an all-time classic. Rob fought foolishly the first time around, may have learned a few lessons since then.

But if he tries to rush Israel with fists again, I don't see it ending well.

Yep Rob looked great and the key was his offensive wrestling, if he brings that to Izzy he'll do well I think. Surely he gets the rematch after what he's done since the loss.

That was Rob's most complete performance, an offensive shut out of Gastelum who's as crafty as they come.

He caught him in the exchanges so cleanly so many times - Gastelum's a machine for eating so many of those shots.

Even the wrestling was night & day, Rob got perfectly timed, clean takedowns and maintained them, and on the other side Kelvin got 1 for a split second to which Bobby got up immediately from under him. Too good.

He's just a class act in every sense of the word. I reckon with how much he's accomplished at only 30 years old, he'll be Australia's 1st UFC hall of famer in due time.

Last edited:
A lot of people are saying that Rob has nothing new for Izzy, which I don't really understand. In many ways, the way Rob fought in the first fight was unlike himself. I think there's a lot of things Rob has to offer in a 2nd fight that isn't lunging wildly at him.

As strange as it sounds due to my last reply - I actually agree with those voices.

Even if Rob doesn't fight emotionally and is at his absolute best, I just think his unique type of striking style doesn't go well against someone like Izzy. Unfortunately even at his best Izzy still wins 99 times out of 100. :(

A lot of people are saying that Rob has nothing new for Izzy, which I don't really understand. In many ways, the way Rob fought in the first fight was unlike himself. I think there's a lot of things Rob has to offer in a 2nd fight that isn't lunging wildly at him.
Rob rushed and Izzy countered.....that was the fight in a nutshell.

I think if he fights more patiently and goes for takes downs he'll make the rematch a lot more competitive at the least.

He was certainly much better against a very dangerous Gast . Sat out the outside and used his reach and legs . His kicks to the head were sublime but to his credit Gast got his hand up in time . Rob will be more patient and not rush into the Izzy trap . How’s Izzy on his back is my question. 50 fight for mine

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can only make comments on my impressions as still consider myself new to the sport after only watching fights regularly since I got Kayo.
My impression was the kick that seem to graze Kelvin's head really rattled him. He came running up to the cage before the fight all hyped up and confident but once the kick rattled him, that took away his confidence and he was frustrated as much as he tried and never gave up, he just could not match the pace and skills. He got a few good hits in but he always copped punishment back soon after.
I think Whittaker sparred with Tim Tysu, I think he said after the fight and I think that just made his striking much more crisp. It showed, but he took Kelvin down a few times and showed he had skills in a variety of ways.

Israel and Whittaker need to fight again but Whittaker seems to rock a lot of opponents with his unique kicking to head and strike combinations. Israel being much taller than most of those opponents means that kick is less likely to get up to height of his heads as easily so that is a difference. But the thing is these fights seem to show Whittaker can find others ways. He might take Israel to the ground as part of his tactics. I do not think we know what his tactics will be, but they won't be rushed like previous fight. I genuinely do not know whom will win but Israel will be favourite.

They should book the fight for mid July in Australia or New Zealand.

hurry up and fight already...

(any poor folks without kayo that don't mind getting their feet wet in streams, just dm me)

Last edited:
It always feels a bit weird to accuse fighters of playing it up in order to get the DQ win. Obviously there are financial benefits to getting the win regardless of what happened, but to have the mindset to be a professional fighter, surely your competitiveness would drive you to do everything you could to continue and win legitimately.

Really pumped for this main event. A little torn as I'd love to Jiri really announce himself as the next star of the division, yet I still think Reyes has what it takes to be the man himself. I reckon the odds are pretty much spot on, close to a 50-50 fight, but I'll go with Reyes.

It always feels a bit weird to accuse fighters of playing it up in order to get the DQ win. Obviously there are financial benefits to getting the win regardless of what happened, but to have the mindset to be a professional fighter, surely your competitiveness would drive you to do everything you could to continue and win legitimately.

Really pumped for this main event. A little torn as I'd love to Jiri really announce himself as the next star of the division, yet I still think Reyes has what it takes to be the man himself. I reckon the odds are pretty much spot on, close to a 50-50 fight, but I'll go with Reyes.
It doesn't feel weird to me to call out acting and/or bs. I call it as I see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back