MMA-UFC UFC Fight Night / UFC on Fox Events

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Denis Leary?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Paddy-Pimblett-berencana-untuk-menempatkan-presiden-UFC-Dana-White-dalam-1024x538.jpg

...this weedy guy Michael Cera
528de6f5a07220862d5d1d74db5509d3.jpg

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Rountree's KO...

That sh*t is terrifying.
Yeah I've always said the Oblique kick isn't used as much as I thought it would in UFC and absolutely needs to be banned

It's just nasty. I hope they do look at banning it. I love Khalil as a fighter, but it takes 9 months off a fighters career at least

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah I've always said the Oblique kick isn't used as much as I thought it would in UFC and absolutely needs to be banned

It's just nasty. I hope they do look at banning it. I love Khalil as a fighter, but it takes 9 months off a fighters career at least
A spinning heel kick can take 9 months off a fighters life. Be stupid to ban a kick then allow submissions like heel hooks

I don't blame Rountree for trying the move, in fact all the power to him really. At the end of the day it's a fight and it's up to the organisation to decide what can and cannot be allowed, and he fought within the rules.

But at some point you'll need to draw the line.

It looks like almost anything goes in MMA, but there's actually quite a few rules that are in place to preserve fighter's health because of their high likelihood of causing lasting damage - eye gouges, 12-6 elbows, pile driving, kicking/kneeing a downed opponent... the list goes on. And then there's banned moves to preserve the spirit of the game - groin shots, headbutts, fish hooking...

Is there a defense for an oblique kick besides moving your leg out of the way? At least with roundhouse kicks to the knee joint, you can check them.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
But at some point you'll need to draw the line.
high likelihood of causing lasting damage - eye gouges, 12-6 elbows, pile driving, kicking/kneeing a downed opponent... the list goes on. And then there's banned moves to preserve the spirit of the game - groin shots, headbutts, fish hooking...

Eye gouges, 12-6 and Pile driving are nothing like oblique kicks. 12-6 is outdated but its about the soft part around the back of the head. Eyes and neck for obvious reasons.

The only thing that's comparable is the soccer kick and that's because I reckon the UFC doesn't like the look of it because it doesn't look like MMA, it looks like a street fight after some beers.

Oblique kick is no different to the calf kick, kick behind the knee, liver punch, heel hook, arm bar etc. These are all techniques that can end a fight quickly and cause lasting damage.

Eye gouges, 12-6 and Pile driving are nothing like oblique kicks. 12-6 is outdated but its about the soft part around the back of the head. Eyes and neck for obvious reasons.

The only thing that's comparable is the soccer kick and that's because I reckon the UFC doesn't like the look of it because it doesn't look like MMA, it looks like a street fight after some beers.

Oblique kick is no different to the calf kick, kick behind the knee, liver punch, heel hook, arm bar etc. These are all techniques that can end a fight quickly and cause lasting damage.

Calf kicks and kicks behind the knees can be reasonably defended by checking them though.

And for the submissions, you at least have the opportunity to tap before it snaps.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Calf kicks and kicks behind the knees are can be reasonably defended by checking them though.

And for the submissions, you at least have the opportunity to tap before it snaps.
You don't have to stand in range of an oblique kick... You can either close the distance and clinch/ dirty box or get outside range. You can check them by lifting your leg towards it.

You can also side step or shuffle your feet.
Endless ways to stop it

You don't have to stand in range of an oblique kick... You can either close the distance and clinch/ dirty box or get outside range. You can check them by lifting your leg towards it.

You can also side step or shuffle your feet.
Endless ways to stop it

I agree with moving out of the way by stepping or shuffling, but not standing in range of an oblique kick isn't really that reasonable when an oblique kick could practically be thrown within such a wide range from arm's length range to even further out.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I agree with moving out of the way by stepping or shuffling, but not standing in range of an oblique kick isn't really that reasonable when an oblique kick could practically be thrown within such a wide range from arm's length range to even further out.
I mean you can move backwards and stand at a karate range at the end of the kick, or you can move in and clinch/wrestle etc. You don't have to stand dead infront at kick range.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It dawned on me last week , but I think Paddy Pimblett looks like a cross between Macaulay Culkin and Boris Johnson.

As far as Oblique kicks go, I'd have thought one of the best defences would be - if you can see your opponent is using them, be very light on your front foot. Ie. if your front foot's planted, the only place it's gonna bend is inwards.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
It dawned on me last week , but I think Paddy Pimblett looks like a cross between Macaulay Culkin and Boris Johnson.

As far as Oblique kicks go, I'd have thought one of the best defences would be - if you can see your opponent is using them, be very light on your front foot. Ie. if your front foot's planted, the only place it's gonna bend is inwards.

Paddy is a BJJ black with vicious Stand up . Building experience. Love him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Am I the only way who doesn't get the Paddy hype yet? Feel like he's being pushed way too hard because they're desperate for another McGregor.

Tbf last time I was slow on a hype train was Izzy

Back