News Ugandan discussions - Emmanuel Irra, Cat B rookie (2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people have infectious appeal about them. Cripes what's not to like about the guy. If as Ken has shown he wants
to build our game around speed then Irra's a man of the future. Will only get better. A South tragic told me last year
he gets caught holding the ball a lot. That's probably an awareness issue that will improve in time.

a south tragic? That sounds torturous.. but fair play to them. I quite like the Jimmy Deane bar

member for 27yrs, as passionate as us on here just of a different colour. Wasn't happy losing B Eddy to us.

They were pretty good in 1990 under John Reid, some good players

member for 27yrs, as passionate as us on here just of a different colour. Wasn't happy losing B Eddy to us.

Ouch. Is that back to the Panther Park days at St Mary's? Played a lightening carnival there once. Darren Kappler did some handball drills with us.

Edit: hmmm just did some calcs and that is more like 37 years ago. Sheesh I'm an old campaigner.

I feel like this is why, as good as Andrew McGrath is, you should never take a half back flank early in the draft. It isn't inconceivable that Bonner, Houston and/or Irra will have similar output across their careers.

Meanwhile Taranto, McCluggage and SPS all look like potential future Brownlow medalists.

Last edited:

#VoteIrra

When I said Comitogianni out loud:

giphy.gif

This must be the best game Irra has played at league level. Blistering pace and acceleration, hit the body hard, took the game on, ran the lines and went again and again. As I posted in the gameday thread was over-ambitious at times but just an exhilarating performance.

Irra is so great to watch because he plays football as if it's a game.

Last edited:
The passage of play at 0.55 where Irra marks at half back then runs through the middle of the ground, short pass handball receive, short pass handball receive, run through the F50 arc then goes the pass ... the crowd was yelling out 'take the shot' and there was a groan as he went the unselfish short pass and missed the target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowey was boasting on AA yesterday about how many Crows rookies have made it. I hope the same can be said of Port one day, starting with Irra and Houston.

You would be starting with Dean Brogan, then Danyle Pearce. ;)

Tom Jonas is still going alright too.

If he hasn't been told that there's a spot on the main list available for someone exactly like him at the end of the year, he should be.

The passage of play at 0.55 where Irra marks at half back then runs through the middle of the ground, short pass handball receive, short pass handball receive, run through the F50 arc then goes the pass ... the crowd was yelling out 'take the shot' and there was a groan as he went the unselfish short pass and missed the target.
That run is brilliant. Backs himself in to get past the tackler multiple times and does it well every time. If he did kick the goal it would've been 2 goal of the year contenders in 2 weeks.

The times I have seen Irra play live in the flesh I haven't seen anything that says AFL player to me. I have wanted to see him using his electrifying pace to advantage but only reckon I have seen him use the afterburners once.

#MarginalGains

The times I have seen Irra play live in the flesh I haven't seen anything that says AFL player to me. I have wanted to see him using his electrifying pace to advantage but only reckon I have seen him use the afterburners once.

#MarginalGains
Yep, if you haven't seen the last 2 games then I think that's a fair comment. His last 2 games however have been SANFL elite.

Yep, if you haven't seen the last 2 games then I think that's a fair comment. His last 2 games however have been SANFL elite.
Yep I have missed the last 3 games so I have missed his spike in performance.

#MarginalGains

Kampala is in our backyard?

South Adelaide is in Uganda?

Irra left Uganda when he was 11 years old. We didn't recruit him from the Bugolobi Panthers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back