Ugandan Election, January 14

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In one corner is the incumbent, Yoweri Museveni, a 76-year-old tyrant who has been in power for the last 35 years:

In the other is the challenger, Bobi Wine, a 38-year-old pop singer from the slums:

Why bother following the election of some African backwater? Well, Uganda is one of the world's youngest nations demographically, with over 75% of people under age 30. This is basically millenials vs boomers, the people power of the youth vs existing power structures, the possibility of a different generation with different ideas vs the same old business as usual that has kept Africa poor.

This isn't a regular campaign though, it's an exceptionally nasty one where the establishment are seeking to crush any threats. Bobi Wine has survived several assassination attempts and you wonder if he'll get to election day in one piece. Several of his staff and prominent supporters keep turning up dead also.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Will a new generation rise to power and change the way things are done in Africa, or will the establishment keep themselves in power, growing fat on stolen public finances?

So basically you've got the man trying to help the country escape poverty and try to establish itself on the global scale and then you've got the old power hungry man who has kept the country a ****hole since he's been in power. From what I've gathered, it probably doesn't matter who wins because the old bloke will make sure he clings onto his power. Remind you of someone?

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What's your take on the result Johnny Bananas ?
To be expected. When the internet was shut off and most independent election observers left the country in protest, the result was only ever going to go one way. But also, if the regime thought Bobi Wine was going to win they would have probably had him killed, not just his staff and supporters.

If Museveni did win legitimately, it's probably because people still value stability above anything else, it's a big selling point considering how screwed the country was before he came to power.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Uganda is where the Nile starts and that is what makes it significant. The USA have a very strong relationship with Uganda going back to independence from the other colonial power, Britain, and Museveni loved Trump. That tells you a lot about Museveni. For the US, it doesn't matter who El Presidente is, so long as it continues to allow the US to continue doing business in Uganda and doesn't make life hard or less profitable for the US. If Bobi Wine had won, he wouldn't have been that much different to Museveni, just window dressing and all the hullabaloo over homosexual rights in Uganda would have ebbed away because Bobi no like NTTAWWTs - he has only taken the position of being a defender of homosexuals because it suits his political ambitions. If Bobi had won but got out of hand, he would be overthrown tout suite as sure as night follows day.

It is Africa and it is the "wild west". Just about every corner of that continent is a basket case with lawlessness and stand over tactics being the norm. Foreign Governments and Corporations run the joint - the whole f****ng lot of it (just about anyway).

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
To be expected. When the internet was shut off and most independent election observers left the country in protest, the result was only ever going to go one way. But also, if the regime thought Bobi Wine was going to win they would have probably had him killed, not just his staff and supporters.

If Museveni did win legitimately, it's probably because people still value stability above anything else, it's a big selling point considering how screwed the country was before he came to power.
After watching the medias interference in the US election, I cant blame Uganda from shutting down all social media during the election.
That may not be the reason it was shut down but its a smart decision by any country now during an election if u want a fair democratic result.

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Here we go.
Imagine in Australia's next election, twitter, facebook, google and all our mainstream media, decide to support the liberals, like US media support the democrats. Removing posts they don't like supporting labour and banning posters who support them. News channels ignoring any negatives the liberals do and actively looking for dirt on labour and reporting it, whether its truth or opinion.
And then the liberals win an election easily.
I don't know if interference is the correct word but certainly a propaganda campaign that definitely helped to influence the result of the US election.

As an example, I watched a video interviewing democrat voters after they voted and they were asked what they thought of the Hunter Biden scandal. As they were CNN viewers, they had not heard about it.
Also the BLM and Antifa riots. CNN when they did report it (which was extremely rare), always took the angle that it was peaceful protests that were completely warranted and on the opposite side of the fence, FOX showed videos of the riots daily.

Anyone who only follows CNN/NSBN or FOX has a very warped sense of what is going on in the US I believe.
I was watching mainly FOX for a while and I definitely found I was straying to the right the more i watched. The Kyle Kulinski show (which i highly recommend) helped to reset me to some extent. Same problem with CNN. The more you watch, the more u hate Trump, cops, see Nazis on every corner and think Antifa are anti fascist.

For the last few years i have followed CNN (left), FOX (right), Kyle Kulinski show (progressive left) and Tim pool who is probably centre to centre right and its not easy sifting thru the bs. But its clear to me that CNN/NSBN and FOX are pure poison.
If the majority of the media in the USA reported like FOX news, Trump would've won easily. And I'm not saying that's a good thing. Equally repulsive way of winning.

But it just so happens the majority of the media hated the republicans, whether warranted or not.

So as I said in my previous post, I congratulate Uganda from banning social media during their election and especially since it pissed off Twitter. And I absolutely hate cancel culture but I would rather it all removed than just one side of the argument.

Back