FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

December looked like it was going to be a slow week (until the last week of the year funnily enough) for UK Crime, so I took a look at a trio of shows from various years that I'd yet to see:

VINCENT: I'd never heard of this at all and stumbled over it on Foxtel/Binge. From 2005 (yes, 20 years ago). Felt like the Brits trying to pull off a more American style detective/crime show, but still attempting to keep it short at only 4 episodes each (over 2 seasons). Fairly by-the-numbers stuff, but made entertaining by an excellent cast headed by Ray Winstone & Suranne Jones. A bit meh overall.

THE GAME: This is easy to find on ABC iVIEW. From 2014, this is more a spy series that I really enjoyed. Again, a great cast (Brian Cox, Victoria Hamilton & Tom Hughes are the 3 leads). The double agent side of the script is relatively weak, but the way each episode leads into the next and are pieced together is really well done.

Anyone into Kin? It's a bit like Love Hate on Valium.

KIN: This 2021 Irish series has been briefly mentioned in this thread. The plot (rival drug gangs, blah blah) isn't exactly original, but is solid enough. Why I really liked this is the cast & acting. There is barely a false note from any performance of each of the lead 7 actors and they get fairly equal time between them. You really get in and under their skins and the weird'ish family dynamic is engrossing because of that.

KIN: This 2021 Irish series has been briefly mentioned in this thread. The plot (rival drug gangs, blah blah) isn't exactly original, but is solid enough. Why I really liked this is the cast & acting. There is barely a false note from any performance of each of the lead 7 actors and they get fairly equal time between them. You really get in and under their skins and the weird'ish family dynamic is engrossing because of that.

watched this over the christmas break and agree it was excellent.

Happy Valley first ep of season 3 - the story and characters are good. Some of the dialog felt a little forced.

Critics are loving it, although you'd think at least part of the high ratings for this new season is to get eyeballs on to an under-appreciated overall series:

6 reviews so far listed on MetaCritic (Happy Valley) with ratings out of 5 as 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 and 4!

STONEHOUSE

British MP fakes his own death and does a runner to Oz. Matthew Macfadyen of Succession fame plays a nice role. Very entertaining and there has been much discussion recently about the guy and what exactly he was all about.
Check it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

started and finished slow horses which was great.

also started love / hate which i had missed. first 2 seasons were excellent, third was ok, think its going down hill in the fourth.

Apologies if it's been mentioned previously - and for straying into movies - but apparently this is only 4 weeks away:

Luther: The Fallen Sun - Wikipedia

Luther: The Fallen Sun is an upcoming crime drama film directed by Jamie Payne and written by Neil Cross. It serves as a film continuation of the 2010–19 British television series of the same name. The film stars Idris Elba (who also serves as a producer on the film), reprising his role as John Luther, with Cynthia Erivo and Andy Serkis.

Luther: The Fallen Sun is scheduled to be released in select cinemas on 24 February 2023, before its streaming release on 10 March 2023, by Netflix.

If I was to bet on an ending my guess is Claire will somehow be involved and probably die.

Oh s**t, I didn't think of that. There's been two brilliant scenes where Catherine destroys her. It's setting Claire up for an heroic death. I might have to keep the tissues handy.

I like how the British shows don't pad it out to 10 episodes. But in this case I wouldn't have minded 8 episodes or an extended finale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back